Author Topic: RD River City Brewing restaurant proposed  (Read 4021 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
RD River City Brewing restaurant proposed
« on: May 07, 2021, 07:52:57 AM »

A look at conceptual plans for a new riverfront restaurant adjacent to Friendship Fountain.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/rd-river-city-brewing-restaurant-proposed/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

Re: RD River City Brewing restaurant proposed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »
Nice! Between this site and the old Landing, Jax finally has a chance to have some quality waterfront dining destinations Downtown. And no, I don't consider the old Landing, River City Brewing Company, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, or Chart House to be quality destinations from a design perspective.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 08:32:36 AM »
With the amount of parks we have, I'm surprised these smaller sq ft restaurants aren't more common to be built alongside a popular park in Jacksonville.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:16:53 AM »
And no, I don't consider the old Landing, River City Brewing Company, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, or Chart House to be quality destinations from a design perspective.

All of these (well the places that are left) seem like low hanging fruits, in terms of improving the design/interaction of these spaces with the river walk. I'm really surprised that more wasn't done with better integrating the Hyatt's first floor spaces with the new river walk.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 09:47:36 AM »
It looks nice, but...I'd like to see an entrance that's oriented towards the riverwalk and Friendship park. Maybe rework the arbor seating or build a walkway from the riverwalk that leads to the front entrance. Is the parking for this restaurant in the garage for the residential development with a valet service or something?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 10:32:25 AM »
Good point, Fallen Buckeye, the restaurant doesn't engage very well with the Riverwalk or the river.

CityLife

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »
It looks nice, but...I'd like to see an entrance that's oriented towards the riverwalk and Friendship park. Maybe rework the arbor seating or build a walkway from the riverwalk that leads to the front entrance. Is the parking for this restaurant in the garage for the residential development with a valet service or something?

It is setback a bit further from the river than is ideal, but the pool and "pool court" are located to the northwest of the restaurant. If the restaurant was pushed closer to the river, it would block views from those two spots. Also, lot of restaurant operators do not want cyclists, joggers, walkers, and the general public immediately next to their patrons. If you are having a wedding reception or private party on the upper floor, the last thing you want is loud people on the Riverwalk spying on your event or creating noise. If you are trying to have a romantic dinner, you don't want a family with young kids right next to you on the Riverwalk. It does great business, but it's a problem for the Smith and Wollensky at South Pointe Park in Miami Beach, for instance. 

fsu813

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 11:14:18 AM »
With the amount of parks we have, I'm surprised these smaller sq ft restaurants aren't more common to be built alongside a popular park in Jacksonville.

Memorial Park will soon have multiple.

Springfield Park has one, but the restaurant doesn't take advantage of the proximity.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »
Good point, Fallen Buckeye, the restaurant doesn't engage very well with the Riverwalk or the river.

This restaurant is based off the design of Glass & Vine in Coconut Grove. That one is set back further away from Biscayne Bay but still has a very inviting environment.

https://glassandvine.com/

CityLife

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 12:55:39 PM »
And no, I don't consider the old Landing, River City Brewing Company, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, or Chart House to be quality destinations from a design perspective.

All of these (well the places that are left) seem like low hanging fruits, in terms of improving the design/interaction of these spaces with the river walk. I'm really surprised that more wasn't done with better integrating the Hyatt's first floor spaces with the new river walk.

Agreed. A lot of operators don't have the vision to think up things like this or simply need to be shown it can be successful in a market. Perhaps when this restaurant (and hopefully one or two at the Landing) succeed, others will take note and make some obvious upgrades.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 01:45:53 PM »
I was thinking more of the DIA/COJ playing a leading role during the design and redevelopment of the river walk. It didn't have to be the same street width and sidewalk width as before. They and the consulting team had full design control over what the intersection of Coastline Drive and Market Street could have been. Perhaps it could have been a curb-less environment or something with narrow lanes and a paving pattern that would open up into an outdoor plaza with seating in front of the Morton's and the two restaurant spaces next door to it on the ground floor of the Hyatt. Basically something similar to what JWB has planned for the former parking lot next to Sweet Pete's:

Could have even thrown in an outdoor bar or cafe similar to what's at the power plant in Savannah:

Luckily, the opportunity still exists. However, Morton's and those other two operators in there may not if traffic doesn't pick up soon.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:50:08 PM by thelakelander »

CityLife

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »
^Gotcha. Good idea! Another idea would have been to allow Morton's to have an outdoor seating location directly on the water (south of Coastline). That is how the aforementioned Smith and Wollensky is in Miami Beach at South Pointe Park (which is 5x busier than the Jax Riverwalk). There is an outdoor seating area separated from the restaurant by the heavily traveled multi-purpose path. It's not as good of an outdoor area as the RD River City proposal, but still much better than having virtually no water views or quality outdoor space. Coastline is low volume enough that it could have worked from a pedestrian/waiter safety perspective.

Here's what the Smith and Wollensky looks like.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:45:17 PM by CityLife »

jaxjags

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 04:27:45 PM »
I like especially if they actually make it look like rendering. The greenery gives it an inviting feeling. The covered outdoor seats will be good in  Jax where winter can be cold and wet compared to south Florida.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 06:02:22 PM »
The rendering reminds me of the Bryant Park Grill in NYC:

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 08:12:00 PM »
I like it. If the food is good, as small as it is, it will be packed. Hopefully that will inspire more, similar establishments to invest and open.