Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - April/May 2021  (Read 6910 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Urban Construction Update - April/May 2021
« on: May 05, 2021, 07:45:42 AM »

A brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/urban-construction-update-aprilmay-2021/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsu813

Re: Urban Construction Update - April/May 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:27:21 PM »
A few more things in the Springfield section:

> The Boys & Girl Club's Citi Teen Center is currenlty constructing an addition to their building on East 10th Street, which will help accommodate their plans for culinary, tech, etc space.

> The SPAR office building renovation at 1321 N. Main Street has been completed by Auld & White - was stripped to the studs following massive damage by Hurricane Irma in 2017, now just putting on the finishing touches.

> Kindred Salon & Shoppe still moving forward with their build out on the 00 block of West 8th Street, next to Ysintricity Botique.

timjax9

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 02:13:51 PM »
Believe the Beach Diner renovation is dead - is this correct?

acme54321

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »
Believe the Beach Diner renovation is dead - is this correct?

I would assume so.

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »
Thanks for the update!  I love seeing the construction, eager for more.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

Ken_FSU

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 01:08:29 PM »
Couple of random things I noticed walking* from Hemming to the Southbank for lunch.

*Beautiful day out, he said. You should take a 15-minute walk across the Main Street Bridge to Sake House, he said. I swear this city makes nothing easy. I walk down to the Landing, forgetting the super-useful pedestrian ramp is being removed before we even know the plan for Landing 2.0. So I backtrack to Bay Street so I can pick up the sidewalk on the right side of the bridge exiting the Northbank. Sidewalk is closed for construction. I follow the pedestrian detour signs, and four blocks later, I find another blocked entrance on the other side, for who knows what reason, even though I can see the sidewalk is open. Ended up having to walk up the Ocean Street off ramp into oncoming traffic, hugging the shoulder and jumping the rail onto the sidewalk. Soon as I make it, the bridgetender opens the bridge for a bathtub-sized boat crawling down the river.

BUT I DIGRESS.

1) The coffee shop in BOA Tower seems to have reopened, which is great.

2) Peterbrook has moved back onto Laura Street, in the VyStar annex/Profit building, which is fantastic.

3) Friendship Fountain/Park is fenced off and work appears to be underway

4) There was a very confused elderly couple standing on “Riverfront Plaza” with a physical map of downtown Jacksonville, BEFUDDLED trying to figure out why they couldn’t find the Landing. Aside from about six thousand pigeons and the handful of construction workers disassembling the only useful amenity currently in that location, there was no one else in the plaza.

5) Side note, was in Riverside yesterday and the Memorial Park balustrades are FINALLY going back in. They look fantastic. So excited to see that park being restored to it’s pre-hurricane glory.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 02:53:06 PM »
Update: After walking back from lunch and having to exit the Main Street Bridge practically at the Hyatt, just quickly appreciating the fact that Jacksonville has managed to once again remove a genuine downtown amenity - a scenic pedestrian/bicycle ramp connecting the Landing property with the Southbank - with no plan or funding mechanism for its replacement, based off of hunches about the site's marketability, from people with little track record of successfully marketing properties to completion.

I do not understand the rush to get this demo done before we even know if the new plan for the Landing needs the extra space.

That whole row from Landing down Bay Street toward the sports complex looks like something out of Mad Max. Workers demolishing the Main Street Bridge. The JEA shell building. Barren fields fronting a giant hole in the Northbank (did they just decide to not finish the Riverwalk in front of the old Courthouse site?). Demo at the Berkman 2. The remaining half of an abandoned overpass. Contaminated brownfields. Doro looking like it got hit by a bomb. Half the road missing.

Someone should tell the youths on scooters to slap on some spiked shoulderpads, just to complete the look.

acme54321

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 08:27:30 PM »
Someone should tell the youths on scooters to slap on some spiked shoulderpads, just to complete the look.

I thought this was a little overblown until I drove down Main Saturday night.  There were like 3 kids randomly riding down the middle of main street swerving around on scooters.  YOLO and all but one of them is going to get splattered eventually if they keep it up.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 09:27:59 AM »
At least Curry is fulfilling his campaign promises.  The downtown waterfront is unrecognizable vs before his administration. 

In thinking about his tenure as mayor, this keeps popping into my head.  To paraphrase the Scarecrow; "I said my policies would take you places.  I never said they'd be places that you wanted to go." 

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 02:38:05 PM »

I do not understand the rush to get this demo done before we even know if the new plan for the Landing needs the extra space.

It's not about what is needed, just removing that which is not.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »

If you owned a business Downtown, you certainly needed the foot traffic the Landing generated on nights and weekends, particularly during programmed events (which were held at the Landing often).

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »

If you owned a business Downtown, you certainly needed the foot traffic the Landing generated on nights and weekends, particularly during programmed events (which were held at the Landing often).

Yep. And anyway if something isn't needed, why spend money removing it when you could spend it on adding something?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 06:46:45 PM »
After the Jax River Jams the Jax nightlife roared back to life like there was no pandemic.  Volstead and Dos Gatos were shoulder to shoulder.  For better or worse, it was a busy night in downtown Jax.  Consistent programming in the heart of downtown is good for downtown as a whole.  The only place that provided that was the Landing.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 07:58:13 PM »
Removing the Landing, and the Main Street Bridge pedestrian ramps, when there are so many other pressing needs downtown is the equivalent of a 1-15 Jags team taking a punter in the third round.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 08:49:18 PM »
It seems like from a political standpoint they gained from the fact that the pandemic happened pretty much right after demolition was over, and that there aren't enough voices making it clear what a mistake it was over the dull roar of suburbanites muttering "no one went to the Landing, it was unsafe, they're really working on downtown" when they haven't been downtown (or at least out of their car there) in months or even years.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey