Author Topic: 200 Largest U.S.A. Major Cities 2021 From 2020 Census  (Read 6570 times)

MusicMan

Re: 200 Largest U.S.A. Major Cities 2021 From 2020 Census
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2021, 10:38:04 AM »
I've always thought the people mover in Portland was  great idea. As I recall, its free throughout a large business zone downtown, just hop on and hop off. It keeps the whole area humming along, and it connects to the burbs and other points of interest with a nominal fee.

vicupstate

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2021, 11:12:04 AM »
I've always thought the people mover in Portland was  great idea. As I recall, its free throughout a large business zone downtown, just hop on and hop off. It keeps the whole area humming along, and it connects to the burbs and other points of interest with a nominal fee.

I have used it as well. It seems to function well.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

acme54321

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2021, 07:20:06 PM »
Whole Foods about a mile from city center?  I mean it's not fair to compare downtown Asheville to downtown Jacksonville, but if you want too we can.  I think someone mentioned all the coffee shops downtown in Jax, but how many stay open late and serve killer food and wine?
Where can you buy a bottle of wine downtown?

No one is comparing downtown Asheville to Jacksonville.  You said there was a walkable grocery store in downtown Asheville, and there isn't, that's all.

nuts over reality

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2021, 10:56:51 PM »
Interesting that there is talk about  a market in Downtown area. There was a market that was going to be part of the armory redevelopment. It was not chosen, Has there been any progress on the site from the riva group?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2021, 08:28:11 AM »
The Armory developer is working to get the property on the National Register, which will make it eligible for historic tax credits. I had an opportunity to meet them and tour the property earlier this year. The "market" in the Armory will be a small food hall.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2021, 09:40:25 AM »
The Armory developer is working to get the property on the National Register, which will make it eligible for historic tax credits. I had an opportunity to meet them and tour the property earlier this year. The "market" in the Armory will be a small food hall.
Saw pictures of the Armory both inside and outside, and on the inside it's decaying and rotting down fast. Awesome old historic building and piece of Jax history.  I lived and was stationed in Thurso Scotland in the early 80's, and this building definitely has a Scottish taste and flair; it should not be allowed to be overlooked or go to waste. I remember seeing buildings like this in Scotland that the Armory resembled. Only thing that bothers me though is if it is to become a food hall, what else will go with that or be around there to draw people in other than the food hall theme alone? Awesome old piece of history.

https://abandonedsoutheast.com/2018/04/12/the-armory/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 09:46:43 AM by heights unknown »
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2021, 01:17:58 PM »
^ My first "dance" was a 6th grade dance held at the Armory.  To a kid, that building looked mighty big.  Lot of room for the boys and girls to "stand apart" at that awkward age  ;D.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:21:43 PM by jaxlongtimer »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2021, 04:27:21 PM »
"No one that can afford $2K / mo for a 888 sq ftt walks to the grocery store."

They do. Just not in Jacksonville.  NYC. San Fran. Chicago. Charlotte. Asheville. Greenville.  Dozens of major league cities, this is normal. Just not here.  They can't.  There is no store.

Brooklyn IS NOT downtown OR the CBD.  Springfield is NOT downtown or the CBD. Most of San Marco is NOT downtown and obviously not the CBD.

From my experience, this is something often claimed.  Yet there's nearly no evidence that more than the occasional walk is done.

IMHO, it's people bullshitting other people.  These are the people who live in Minneapolis and brag about biking to work.  Yet come January you can count the number of bicyclists you see on one hand.

Anyone who's tried walking 1/2 a mile while carrying groceries quickly asks themselves "is there an easier way".

There is  --->  automobile, either drive yourself, taxi or grocery delivery.