Author Topic: Commuter Rail's Return?  (Read 701 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Commuter Rail's Return?
« on: April 14, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
Didn't see a separate thread for this, so I thought I'd make one.

JTA Considering Commuter Rail Between Jacksonville And St. Johns County

https://news.wjct.org/post/jta-considering-commuter-rail-between-jacksonville-and-st-johns-county

The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is considering building a commuter rail between St. Johns and Duval Counties.

During a St. Johns County Chamber of Commerce event last week, Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) CEO Nat Ford said he was in talks with St. Augustine leaders and others about creating a commuter rail, as was reported in The St. Augustine Record.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

marcuscnelson

Re: Commuter Rail's Return?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 02:55:33 PM »
For context, here is the study from 2009 on commuter rail.

One thing that confuses me upfront is that JTA received $877k last year to plan TOD at four stations along what seems to be the Southeast Corridor. Where did that money go?

Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) in Florida will receive $877,068 in funding to plan for TOD at four stations in the initial phase of the proposed 38.4-mile First Coast commuter rail project in Northeast Florida.

Also, apparently six years ago, there was supposed to be another study on commuter rail. What happened to that?

The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is studying the viability of a commuter rail system on the Southeast corridor, between Downtown and St. Augustine.

The study, which will be completed this time next year, looks at potential ridership, the cost to build and operate the systems and where the stations would be. The study being conducted by Parsons Brinckerhoff costs $525,000
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »
There's nothing in the gas tax list about commuter rail. There is some money for a PD&E Study to relocate the passenger rail station back downtown. It would be good to see additional money set aside to actually move the passenger rail station back downtown. In other words, let's do more than create 35% design plans.

As for commuter rail, we've been here before. I'm a rail fan but I don't think it makes sense to pursue on the FEC before addressing any potential intercity partnering opportunities with Brightline (same for Amtrak with the CSX A line). You piggyback off improvements made by intercity rail, not move on things before. That's how you get a 13.5 mile commuter rail line less than 1/2 the cost for Miami-Dade taxpayers than what Jax taxpayers are being asked to pay to convert the Skyway into the U2C:

It will cost an estimated $345 million to build the necessary rail infrastructure, stations, park-and-ride facilities, maintenance depots and trains, according to a Feb. 18 memo from Aileen Bouclé, director of the Miami-Dade Transportation Planning Organization.

Once built, operations and maintenance are expected to cost $16 million a year.

Miami-Dade will ask for half the construction cost from the Federal Transit Administration’s capital investment grant program.

The plan, Ms. Bouclé wrote, also includes an expectation that the Florida Department of Transportation will contribute a quarter of the project cost. Miami-Dade intends to cover the remainder using funds generated by a local half-percent sales tax known as the half-penny, which county voters approved in 2002 to improve and expand transportation.

Half-penny funds will also cover the cost of the three-acre Aventura station, setting the county’s estimated contribution toward the project’s total construction at $162.25 million.

Plans shown to investors included five stations between MiamiCentral and Aventura stations, including Wynwood, Design District, El Portal, North Miami and FIU Biscayne Bay Campus.

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2021/03/23/after-345-million-buildout-brightline-to-run-new-intercity-rail/?fbclid=IwAR3BPmaRRvzc6CB7XYeZ087EioaNjPXmo_atEAQjKlersg2adyg84frIPZY

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:03:42 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 01:15:03 PM »

I'm not following that last claim.

a) [iirc] Skyway is proposed to cost $400million

b) Miami is spending ~$400M + perpetual operating costs

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 01:37:05 PM »
Miami-Dade is seeking funding assistance from FDOT and the FTA. Their local share of the $345 million project is $162.25 million. Jax taxpayers are being asked to fund 100% of the $379 million Skyway conversion project with the gas tax. Why not attempt to secure FDOT and FTA funding assistance?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lostwave

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 08:58:24 AM »
I would bet that FDOT doesn't want to pay for clown cars.  If it was light rail or a monorail or something, they would.  But golf carts, no.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »
Miami-Dade is seeking funding assistance from FDOT and the FTA. Their local share of the $345 million project is $162.25 million. Jax taxpayers are being asked to fund 100% of the $379 million Skyway conversion project with the gas tax. Why not attempt to secure FDOT and FTA funding assistance?

Sounds like you got your answer to that:

The expectation is that the later phases of the U2C will proceed as a Public-Private Partnership (P3), which will require a dedicated funding source. The LOGT provides that dedicated funding source, unlike discretionary grants that must be applied for each year and are not guaranteed.

I would bet that FDOT doesn't want to pay for clown cars.  If it was light rail or a monorail or something, they would.  But golf carts, no.

It's a cold day in hell when the FDOT is being more responsible about public transportation than you.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 04:03:02 PM »

Ah, okay.  So it's what the local govt would be looking at for cost, not total cost of project.  Thank you.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
^Yes, just looking at the local percentage and recommending that the LOGT only cover a local percentage for this U2C thing, and not the total cost as currently being proposed by JTA.