Author Topic: It's time to drop Jax's Confederate school names  (Read 871 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
It's time to drop Jax's Confederate school names
« on: April 09, 2021, 05:11:01 PM »

Jacksonville's Confederate school names are a relic of Jim Crow era school segregation – and it's high time to get rid of them.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/its-time-to-drop-jaxs-confederate-school-names/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: It's time to drop Jax's Confederate school names
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 04:21:13 AM »
Good article, Bill. I had totally forgotten that we named a school after Jefferson Davis. I can't really understand what they did in the past, but surely we're better than this today.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »
I agree with the confederate name changes. I would endorse eliminating schools named after humans and change to numbered school names (PS 1,2,3...) or regional names... Westside, Northside...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
I agree with the confederate name changes. I would endorse eliminating schools named after humans and change to numbered school names (PS 1,2,3...) or regional names... Westside, Northside...

That seems like a very sensible solution. Kind of future-proofing it, too - protects against situations where we name a school after someone who ends up doing something bad.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:22:52 AM »

That seems like a very sensible solution. Kind of future-proofing it, too - protects against situations where we name a school after someone who ends up doing something bad.

And yet seems unlikely to happen... one groups batch of names will be replaced with another groups batch of names...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

CityLife

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 08:20:19 AM »
Can't believe this is even having to be discussed in 2021. Should have been done a long time ago...

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 10:02:44 AM »

BTW - Mass transit is a relic of the Jim Crow era.

Be careful with framing.  You may not like where it leads.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 10:07:29 AM »

And yet seems unlikely to happen... one groups batch of names will be replaced with another groups batch of names...

DCPS policy does not allow using "people" names, so the new names will likely be geographic. 

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 11:14:40 AM »

Lol, I can’t wait to hear the explanation of this claim.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 11:25:01 AM »
I'd be interested to hear how myself!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 03:05:41 PM »

What is now the London Underground - the first subterranean railway in the world - opened in 1863. Well before Jim Crow (and actually during the Civil War). And other forms of mass transit (non-subterranean railways, buses, trams) predated that.

So, methinks your claim is specious.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 07:07:22 AM »

DCPS policy does not allow using "people" names, so the new names will likely be geographic. 

Good to hear... how new is that policy?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 10:04:01 AM »
It's hard to say how long the "no people names" policy has been in effect. The "History" summary at the end of this section of the DCPS Policy doesn't identify which dates refer to specific changes. However, since it came up during the renaming of Westside HS, I suspect it was the 2008 revision. 
As a refresher, here is the entire relevant section of DCPS Policy.  Each of the schools considering renaming is in a different place in the process described below.
III.   Renaming an Existing School

A.   The Superintendent, any School Board member, or one of the initiating entities named below, may submit a written request to the School Board during a regular Board meeting, requesting the Board rename an existing school. An “initiating entity” is defined as:
1.   SAC of the school;
2.   PTA of the school;
3.   At least 75% of the school’s students;
4.   Alumni of the school (the minimum number of which is at least 75% of the school’s current student body population, as evidenced by a signed petition indicating the graduate’s name and graduation year)*; or
5.   Community members within the school’s attendance zone (the minimum number of which is at least 75% of the school’s current student body population, as evidenced by a signed petition indicating the community member’s name and address within the attendance zone)*.

*Note: The district will have no obligation to verify the accuracy of the petitions presented.

B.   Upon receipt of the written request described in subsection III.A. above, the School Board shall decide by a majority vote of the Board whether to accept the written request and refer the matter to the Superintendent for further review. If the School Board accepts the written request, then the Superintendent shall establish procedures for renaming the school, which include soliciting community input from the following:
1.   SAC of the school;
2.   PTA of the school;
3.   Students of the school;
4.   Community members within the school’s attendance zone;
5.   Members of the school’s faculty and staff; and
6.   Alumni of the school.

C.   The Superintendent shall offer to the School Board for its decision by a vote of the Board, either a proposed new name to the Board or recommend no change to the school’s existing name. The School Board may, after considering the submission of the Superintendent’s recommendation, accept or reject the recommendation, or request another name be proposed for its consideration, until the Board makes a final determination of the petition to rename the school.

IV.   Requirements applicable to naming or renaming a school:

A.   The name of the school shall not be of a person (whether living or deceased); and

B.   The name shall not be in conflict with an existing name of a school.

HISTORY:   
ADOPTED: April 1, 1997
REVISION DATE(S): 11/10/08
03/05/2019
FORMERLY: FF

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 10:05:22 AM »
Yeah it’s been at least 10 years.