Author Topic: Pilot e-scooter program in downtown Jacksonville hits some bumps in the road  (Read 33186 times)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
Re: Pilot e-scooter program in downtown Jacksonville hits some bumps in the road
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2021, 09:59:07 AM »
I do find it kind of humorous that people get upset with these scooters but don't mind other toys with careless drivers...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Pilot e-scooter program in downtown Jacksonville hits some bumps in the road
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2021, 10:08:13 AM »
Nice!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »
Miami just voted to end their pilot scooter program.

Miami has put the brakes on motorized scooters, ordering operators to deactivate and pick up their machines immediately. Commissioners voted Thursday to end a multi-year pilot program that allowed several companies to place dockless electric scooters in the city’s urban core. Since 2018, riders have been able to use mobile phone apps to rent the scooters. Vendors were told they have until midnight Thursday to deactivate their scooters and until 5 p.m. Friday to pick them up or the city could impound them. “We’re shutting it down,” said Commissioner Alex Díaz de la Portilla “That’s it.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article255941562.html#storylink=cpy

A woman in Nashville got killed on a Lyft scooter in early October and later that month another woman got pinned under a bus while riding a scooter, but ended up living. My sister saw the second one and said it was horrifying.

Cities that want scooters should start creating protected scooter paths and only allow them to be utilized there. It's absurd that people ride them on streets like Broadway or Biscayne Boulevard.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 01:09:19 PM by CityLife »

Ken_FSU

« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2021, 08:41:11 PM »
A woman in Nashville got killed on a Lyft scooter in early October and later that month another woman got pinned under a bus while riding a scooter, but ended up living. My sister saw the second one and said it was horrifying.

Cities that want scooters should start creating protected scooter paths and only allow them to be utilized there. It's absurd that people ride them on streets like Broadway or Biscayne Boulevard.

Lots and lots of reasons that it's not necessarily an apples to apples comparison (most notably size of service area), but it's not uncommon for Nashville to see 10 bike deaths in some years. Jacksonville has seen up to 8 in recent years. We've seen skateboarders killed in Jacksonville to St. Augustine in recent years. Not to mention the 100+ pedestrians killed each year by traffic. These scooter deaths are horribly tragic, and come with their share of unique causes related to equipment and education, but think it's part of a bigger transportation discussion than just scooters. 

DIA is currently conducting a survey that will help determine whether the scooters stay or leave at the end of the pilot program.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7vI_o6OhS02Bxvhwpyh_dTSztzRc1eC9TWla-WH7IUC9CgQ/viewform?fbclid=IwAR20upM_wX_wwskE-9A_bIvsP4gpuuCvA1wHS0G1zJLNiDzdArbCNGSpEak

I hope they stay.

They've brought a whole lot of people downtown who wouldn't otherwise be there, and they provide a great mobility solution for getting around the core quickly.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2021, 08:19:14 AM »

Lots and lots of reasons that it's not necessarily an apples to apples comparison (most notably size of service area), but it's not uncommon for Nashville to see 10 bike deaths in some years. Jacksonville has seen up to 8 in recent years. We've seen skateboarders killed in Jacksonville to St. Augustine in recent years. Not to mention the 100+ pedestrians killed each year by traffic. These scooter deaths are horribly tragic, and come with their share of unique causes related to equipment and education, but think it's part of a bigger transportation discussion than just scooters. 

DIA is currently conducting a survey that will help determine whether the scooters stay or leave at the end of the pilot program.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7vI_o6OhS02Bxvhwpyh_dTSztzRc1eC9TWla-WH7IUC9CgQ/viewform?fbclid=IwAR20upM_wX_wwskE-9A_bIvsP4gpuuCvA1wHS0G1zJLNiDzdArbCNGSpEak

I hope they stay.

They've brought a whole lot of people downtown who wouldn't otherwise be there, and they provide a great mobility solution for getting around the core quickly.

Not sure about scooters - they're weird and I don't know what the laws are. But when it comes to bicycles, Jacksonville (and many other cities) really needs to invest in cycling infrastructure. Segregated bike lanes, car-free streets and maybe traffic calming measures. It's scary riding a bike in Jax - even in Riverside. I know FL law actually permits cycling on the sidewalk (which is ludicrous), but sidewalks aren't really that common in Jax anyway!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2021, 05:07:23 PM »
I think it's very unfortunate that Miami is dropping their scooters. I guess they still have their Citi Bike system but still, losing options is sad.

I agree with Ken, we should keep them. There's no reason we can't work on investing in complete streets, removing cars in favor of other transportation options, or other improvements that make it safer for pedestrians, cyclists, and non-drivers in general.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2021, 05:52:38 PM »
Definitely a loss for Miami. They appear to have been well used during the times I've been down there this year. South Florida's roadway system is a cluster fuck for the growth and density building taking place there. I don't see how this helps anything there.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2021, 09:38:44 PM »
Poor timing in Miami, as there's a study underway to determine how best to integrate micromobility into the SMART Plan premium transit corridors.