Author Topic: Pilot e-scooter program in downtown Jacksonville hits some bumps in the road  (Read 4099 times)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
I'll add: I can't think of a reason really why ANYONE would be needing the scooters at 10 PM on a weeknight in DT Jax.  To see them ALL occupied then, and by a demographic that reasonably raises suspicions and eyebrows from people of all demographics, is kind of shocking.  I can't see anything good coming of it, but I hope it's all harmless.

I can't think of any reason why ANYONE would be needing to be in the office at 10 PM on a weeknight in DT Jax. Especially by a demographic that reasonably raises suspicions and eyebrows from people of all demographics for financial crimes.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
And besides, why is it only young black males riding these things at night?  What's up with that?  Why can't we ask that question?  I suppose we should just ignore everything nowadays.

I've been downtown at night a few times since the scooters arrived. I've seen young women of various races riding them late too. So my experience has been a bit different. If these would have been around back when I was in my late teens and early 20s, I imagine that me and my friends would have been riding them too since they are a cheap form of entertainment. I'm happy to see the additional people enjoying a downtown amenity. I just wish the downtown economy was such that it could support more businesses being able to stay open at nights.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
One night this past week I left the office around 10 PM.  I was shocked at what I saw, personally, and I doubt I'm alone in thinking what I was thinking when I was seeing what I was seeing.  I'll recap as politely as possible:

- wayyyyy more scooter usage than in the day, I think probably every scooter was taken
- 80% male
- 80% 16-24 years old by my guess
- 100% African American

And as I was driving down Bay to take Riverside to go home, from work, I faced a group on scooters coming the wrong way occupying the left lane on Bay, screaming at me as I passed by in one of the middle lanes.  I'm not sure what they were saying.

I personally think what I saw was a recipe for disaster.

And to tell the cop to get a life - I'm pretty over the progressive anti-cop mentality.  I spent 7 recent years in SF.  Take that attitude and that worldview there.  Been there done that and it's not a good result.

Sounds really scary for you. Maybe leave work earlier so you can get home before dark?

Bahaha
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JaxAvondale

I have definitely seen a good mix of people on the scooters at night not just Black males. The scooters have definitely been a success at this point. 

jaxlongtimer

Is all the activity e-scooters?  I have seen packs of gas powered "mini-bikes" (look like tiny stripped down motorcycles so not sure if this is the right term  8) )racing down streets emanating from the urban core in the last few weeks.  Are they mixing it up with the e-scooter folks or is it just coincidence?  They are aggressive riders and I worry about their safety.  It's hard enough surviving our ever-spreading potholes with a car.

WAJAS

Is all the activity e-scooters?  I have seen packs of gas powered "mini-bikes" (look like tiny stripped down motorcycles so not sure if this is the right term  8) )racing down streets emanating from the urban core in the last few weeks.  Are they mixing it up with the e-scooter folks or is it just coincidence?  They are aggressive riders and I worry about their safety.  It's hard enough surviving our ever-spreading potholes with a car.
Those would be personally owned vehicles. The new stuff is only the scooters.

fsu813

There was an outdoor mini bike convention in Jax last weekend. I assume you saw activity from that.

MusicMan

"This morning, I witnessed a man tear out flowers I had just replanted in planter boxes yesterday, and another man running down Hogan Street completely, stark naked."

Can someone, anyone, buy the Mayor a suit please!

bl8jaxnative

( unfortunately ) there are packs of motorcycles, atvs, quads, minibikes, dirt bikes, etc that occasionally drive around, usually on the weekends.  They have "wonderful" habits like running red light, wheelies, driving against traffic, et al.

MusicMan

I'm not sure what the original "plan" was for the scooters, but it probably did not include late night joy rides by kids aged 12-22. That being said, it's money for the vendors, and life being injected into a downtown sorely in need of any commercial activity it can generate. I think it would behoove COJ and the Sheriff to have 2-4 cops on even bigger and faster scooters on patrol to make sure everyone has a fun time without harassing drivers, pedestrians, or residents. My buddy who lives at Churchwell Lofts says it's close to getting out of hand, especially with the 'Fast and Furious' element that's been doing burnouts and donuts on City streets after dark. 

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
These scooters are capable of doing burnouts and donuts?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

MusicMan

Of course not. It's The Fast and the Furious wannabe's who come down with high horsepower/torque cars doing it. You can actually go downtown and see for your self if your brave enough. Note the burned rubber circles in front of The landing/Lenny's Lawn,,,,,,(Hogan and Water St) among others............... all the increased activity on the scooters has brought additional thrill seekers to downtown.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:58:07 PM by MusicMan »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
Was cruising around Jax yesterday, especially downtown. I've moved back home to North Florida, not Jax, and I've got my reasons; but since I moved back, I've visited Jax numerous times. Yes, saw the scooters; placed at strategic points to utilize, and, people scurrying around on them; not impressed. Not impressed with the scooters, and not impressed with downtown Jax. I am really pissed about Lenny's Lawn. Get that Mayor out of our town and out of our State. He is a sorry excuse for anything. Downtown is really sad looking. I would guess if you've been here or lived in Jax for a long time, you just don't notice it or see it. The buildings and scrapers look worn down and worn out, in need of cleaning and pressure washing. Still empty lots, abandoned buildings, undeveloped land, something you see very less of in Miami, Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersburg, and even smaller towns and cities than Jax. Scooters. Scooters? OMG. They demolish a very precious and valuable piece of land and property and scooters are what's on the news almost daily about downtown Jacksonville. I shouldn't be griping and complaining? No I don't live in Jax, but was born there, raised there, it's my city, and I am totally incensed and at a loss as to why our leaders allow our urban core to slip and slide into the abyss like it has (this is what I see). As I've said, consolidation is just a mask. We are not a city of a million people, far from it; at least we could or should act like it (and yes, hustle,  bustle, skyscrapers, mass entertainment, bars, restaurants...to prove we deserve to be a city of 1 million people); otherwise, ditch the consolidation mask, annex a few neighborhoods and areas, and a city of around 350,000 is possibly what we would be; but still, our downtown, and the city as a whole, doesn't even live up to that population; more like 90,000 if that. That's what Jax looks and acts like. I would say Gainesville, and Tallahassee are the principal cities of Northern Florida; not Jacksonville...and it pains me to say this. Yeah Heights keep complaining...but guess what? I don't get paid the big bucks nor have the background, education and experience to run a city based on the citizens electing me as such...but it's obvious the powers that be, namely the people elected to run Jax, don't know their booty hole from a hole in the ground. I will be 65 soon. You think I'll live long enough to see Jax be the city that it's been yearning to be or should be? Don't hold your breath and I certainly won't hold mine; and...you guys that run this forum, and by the way my hats off to you for doing a superb job, don't think that because you are in your 40's or early 50's that you will see Jax burgeon into what it should be or need to be; again...don't...hold...your...breath! (sigh)...there...I said it.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
P.S. - and by the way, maybe I could run Jax; and I know you guys that run this forum can. And...I've learned quite a lot of how to run a city, lead, organize and plan in that regard, from just being in this forum since its inception! Thanks for the education guys.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

MusicMan

100% correct Sir! ^^^^^