Author Topic: Amtrak expansion includes Jacksonville. Are we ready?  (Read 33559 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: Amtrak expansion includes Jacksonville. Are we ready?
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »
I realize it would be expensive, my thought was that if you're going to redevelop the area it might be a good idea to prevent cars from being able to get hit by trains. It might not be financially feasible to do so, which is why it's just a thought. If you really wanted, you could probably just remove the elevated portions and put the station in the same place at ground level, and leave all else the same.

I figured it would be double-tracked in any case too, my assumption there was that it'd be done similarly to Brightline, move the existing track over, build a bridge, move the trains to it and then build the other bridge.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2021, 09:23:27 PM »
It probably wouldn't be enough rail traffic to justify elevating the tracks. A ground level platform should be okay for Amtrak or commuter rail.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2021, 11:00:55 PM »
It probably wouldn't be enough rail traffic to justify elevating the tracks. A ground level platform should be okay for Amtrak or commuter rail.

Aside from relocating Sleepy Hollow, it seems it might be more cost effective to raise 220 over the tracks rather than the other way around.  Sooner or later, if traffic keeps building in that area, the locals might even demand it (see University Blvd. W and Baymeadows Road one block off of Philips Highway - albeit with an FEC rail-yard in between causing blockages before the bridges).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 05:05:52 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2021, 06:55:27 AM »
Many of the streets that Amtrak, Tri-Rail, Sunrail and BrightLine cross at-grade in Central and South Florida are significantly busier than 220. Definitely hard to justify the expense of grade separation for a few intercity trains. If Palatka ever transitions from coal as an energy choice, that line will have less traffic than its ever had. Grade separation more than likely means the site would not be feasible for a train station.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »
"
If Palatka ever transitions from coal as an energy choice, that line will have less traffic than its ever had.
"

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this one.   It's literally true.  But not much of a point at that level.   This line hosts quite a few trains.   And while the plant burns a few million tons a coal a year, that only translates into maybe a train a day.  I don't see how it would affect the situation much at all one way or another.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2021, 12:27:34 PM »
I was typing quick and from my phone earlier and didn't have time to dig up data. Basically, where I was trying to go was to say that grade separation is not necessary or feasible (if we're assuming this would only be done to accommodate Amtrak or commuter rail) at County Road 220. With or without a unit train going through there.

Commuter rail being done by JTA to Clay County is a big pipe dream if anticipated before 2040 or 2050. JTA isn't putting any real effort into such a project on that corridor, so whenever they do, they'll still be a good decade or two before actually implementing something......if they got that far. In the event that an Amtrak station could be built there (big if, considering Amtrak still needs a big cash infusion for their dream scenario), what are we seriously looking at? Maybe up to 6 Amtrak trains a day? You'll stop at multiple phase red light longer than you'll have to wait for a  passenger trainset to get through there.

In South Florida, Brightline's stops in Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach are close/adjacent to at-grade crossings on highways with 67,500 (Okeechobee Blvd) and 46,000 (Broward Blvd) vehicles a day. That service has a significantly higher level of frequency and they'll soon be adding commuter rail to the mix. County Road 220 only gets 32,000 vehicles a day and the land use of Clay County no where allows for the type of density that is existing and increasing in South Florida. Same goes for SunRail in Orlando. There are several existing at-grade crossings throughout Central Florida with equal or higher AADT and the LOS of those highways aren't at the point of failure.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2021, 10:08:55 AM »

One advantage of grade separation is that all trains -- maybe 10-14 / day? -- would be using it.   It makes the situation much, much, much safer.

IIRC there is an public facing FRA database for XINGs that includes listing of xing accidents.    If that crossing's been having some accidents lately, there may be some value in FDOT stepping up with such a project.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2021, 11:15:03 AM »
10-14 trains a day isn't a lot. Definitely don't see FDOT funding a project here. It's not even a FDOT facility.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2021, 04:54:38 PM »

I wish there was a lil button we could click to like give a thumbs up to a post to let the poster know "good points".    :)