Author Topic: Boss Of The Sauce BBQ competition coming to the old JAX Landing site  (Read 524 times)

JaxJersey-licious

Doesn't make up for the destruction of the Landing to appease Shad Khan and his magical food court, but it's great that they have some unique activation for the old space.

https://bossofthesaucebbq.com/

It is an excellent location and an excellent event for Jacksonville to host but my observation of the site was that field doesn't drain well and can get quite marshy so is having all these huge grills and smokers out there the best location for this event? I thought this event was normally held in big stadium parking lots. I do hope they make this work.

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Boss Of The Sauce BBQ competition coming to the old JAX Landing site
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
Unique in that the Landing already hosted two nationally-sanctioned bbq competitions with teams that traveled in from throughout the Southeast and beyond each year?

In that sense, I guess its unique in that there is now one less.   The only difference is that the previous competitions were hosted by an out-of-town organization, and this new one is hosted by some local businessmen.

No disrespect to the organizers.... but an April concert series and a BBQ festival on the former Landing site is not progress.  Literally all of those things already took place there.... and with much greater frequency.   I am sure they will do well, they are certainly spending a good amount of money to bring everything they need on site to make the event work well logistically (which was far less of a problem, when the Jacksonville Landing actually existed). With the pandemic limiting events for now over a year, any open air event like this will draw a large crowd.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:00:05 AM by fieldafm »

Peter Griffin

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »
No disrespect to the organizers.... but an April concert series and a BBQ festival on the former Landing site is not progress. 

It doesn't seem like anyone is arguing that it is. The organizers are just making use of a space.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 01:14:50 PM »
No disrespect to the organizers.... but an April concert series and a BBQ festival on the former Landing site is not progress. 

It doesn't seem like anyone is arguing that it is. The organizers are just making use of a space.

DVI and the Mayor's Office sure are slapping themselves on the back for helping to bring these great festivals to the former Landing space.  I'll gladly clap back at the ridiculous waste of money used to tearing down the Landing, and the backwards attempts at justifying that asinine decisions at every chance I get. Have done so, and will continue to do so, both online and offline.  :)

Perhaps after dealing with the madness that is Downtown 'development' over the last two decades... you would harden your stance towards the very people that are tearing down things, as well  ;)

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 04:22:06 PM »

DVI and the Mayor's Office sure are slapping themselves on the back for helping to bring these great festivals to the former Landing space.  I'll gladly clap back at the ridiculous waste of money used to tearing down the Landing, and the backwards attempts at justifying that asinine decisions at every chance I get. Have done so, and will continue to do so, both online and offline.  :)

Perhaps after dealing with the madness that is Downtown 'development' over the last two decades... you would harden your stance towards the very people that are tearing down things, as well  ;)
Here here, and cheers to ye mate! Good on you!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

landfall

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 02:45:18 PM »
I don't think the Landing going is necessarily the problem. Its the complete lack of movement to replace it that has been the issue. The Ford on Bay for instance would have provided perfect infill for bars and restaurants on Bay St, enhanced energy on both sides of the street and connect much better to the entertainment venues, but as usual our bureaucrats are too inept to solve it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »
I don't think the Landing going is necessarily the problem. Its the complete lack of movement to replace it that has been the issue.

I agree in that they are linked. If the Landing were revamped and/or its businesses were saved as a part of an immediately implementable plan, then we have a very different story with this site. But it was clear as day that there was no plan or money implemented to do anything but turn an active space into a dead one. Knowing how slow things move, it was also clear as day that if we went this route, it would be a good decade before anything of equal or more value replaced what we already had. That was a big consideration of the those who favored adaptive reuse. Now we're screwed and we'll just have to wait out the decade. I've lost track now. How many years has it been a dead zone at this point? 2? So eight more years to go?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali