Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - February/March 2021  (Read 5711 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Urban Construction Update - February/March 2021
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:29:15 AM »

A brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/urban-construction-update-februarymarch-2021/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

Re: Urban Construction Update - February/March 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:51:06 AM »
Never trust renderings that are set during magic hour (twilight). As I said when it was approved, Vista Brooklyn has ended up looking nothing like the rendering. The JEA rendering also looks great during magic hour, but I'm worried it won't look nearly as good in the daytime. 
The Residence Inn is a good example of an accurate rendering. It looks almost exactly the same.

The DIA shouldn't allow these types of renderings to be used during the entitlement process, as they do not give an accurate picture of what a project will look like.

fsu813

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:48:36 AM »
Not featured in the Springfield section, the SPAR office building renovation at 1321 N. Main Street is nearing completion by Auld & White - was stripped to the studs following massive damage by Hurricane Irma in 2017, renovation began a few months ago, now (almost) completely rebuilt. A $500k+ project.

Also, Kindred Salon & Shoppe still moving forward with their build out on the 00 block of West 8th Street, next to Ysintricity Botique.

DTWD_NW904

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 10:07:40 PM »
Im very interested in seeing how they'll complete the Hart Expressway by the end of the year....

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:45:14 PM »
Lake, it would be interesting to go back to some of your very oldest Downtown updates from years ago and see "where they are now."  This may be another measure of Downtown's "progress."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:50:42 PM by jaxlongtimer »

avonjax

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 07:24:53 AM »
Ennis what is going on with the food hall in Brooklyn. I haven't seen any news for a while?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 08:08:40 AM »
^Nothing is happening with that until Park Street is redone. The Park Street project has not started yet.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

WAJAS

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »
Vista Brooklyn should have had to put in a cycle track on Jackson St. as a part of the streetscape reconstruction. The Emerald Trail Model Mile project anticipates a cycle track running down Jackson St. from Park Ave to the Riverwalk. A missed opportunity.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
Vista Brooklyn should have had to put in a cycle track on Jackson St. as a part of the streetscape reconstruction. The Emerald Trail Model Mile project anticipates a cycle track running down Jackson St. from Park Ave to the Riverwalk. A missed opportunity.

That's a bit of revisionist history. A cycle track down Jackson Street was never an official COJ thing when Vista Brooklyn received their entitlements, including TCEA adherence, in 2017.... four years ago.  Even today, a cycle track down Jackson is not in any official plans filed through COJ.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 09:44:07 AM »
^Nothing is happening with that until Park Street is redone. The Park Street project has not started yet.

Seems to me like this would have been a better project to focus on than tearing down the Hart Bridge ramps for a highly speculative development proposal that would turn out to not even be allowed by the national parks department.  The number of developments waiting on the Park street project make this an urgent matter and a no brainer.

WAJAS

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 09:50:44 PM »

That's a bit of revisionist history. A cycle track down Jackson Street was never an official COJ thing when Vista Brooklyn received their entitlements, including TCEA adherence, in 2017.... four years ago.  Even today, a cycle track down Jackson is not in any official plans filed through COJ.

Makes sense. I appreciate the context! I'm new to the forum and area, so I don't know the history.

MusicMan

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 11:10:16 AM »
"The Park Street project has not started yet."

Please tell me what the 'Park Street Project' is.

TY

Charles Hunter

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 11:46:03 AM »
The first phase of the Emerald Trail, replacing two lanes of the Park (Lee) Street Viaduct with a cycle track
https://news.wjct.org/post/emerald-trail-construction-begins-fall-30-mile-jax-urban-path

The article has renderings and maps.

WAJAS

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 05:26:01 PM »
The first phase of the Emerald Trail, replacing two lanes of the Park (Lee) Street Viaduct with a cycle track
https://news.wjct.org/post/emerald-trail-construction-begins-fall-30-mile-jax-urban-path

The article has renderings and maps.
Actually, I think he is referring to the Park Street Diet, which does connect to the Emerald Trail Model Mile. The developers of the Food Hall in Brooklyn said they were waiting on the completion of that project. Here's an article on it with renderings and a map: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/plans-filed-for-park-street-road-diet/

Charles Hunter

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 07:43:26 PM »
Good point, thanks.