Author Topic: Guest column: There is a plan for downtown (DIA's Ron Moody)  (Read 1860 times)

bl8jaxnative

Re: Guest column: There is a plan for downtown (DIA's Ron Moody)
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 12:19:58 PM »

I'm not sure it's wise to push retail stores in a day of age when everything, even booze and stuff from 7-eleven, is being delivered to people's front door.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 01:01:10 PM »

I'm not sure it's wise to push retail stores in a day of age when everything, even booze and stuff from 7-eleven, is being delivered to people's front door.

I'm not sure its wise to push one's personal beliefs on the lifetime viability of a space.  Yesterday's Blockbuster Video is today's Orange Theory or Grubhub ghost kitchen.   Today's parking garage with no retail buildout, is still tomorrow's parking garage with no retail buildout.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 02:12:14 PM »

I wouldn't get too caught up on the use of the term "retail" in this discussion. We're talking about the coordination and clustering of incremental commercial spaces. Like Brooklyn Station, some of this "retail" space could be anything from a specialty retail boutique or restaurant, to a bar, dry cleaners or hair salon.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 03:55:31 PM »

I wouldn't get too caught up on the use of the term "retail" in this discussion. We're talking about the coordination and clustering of incremental commercial spaces. Like Brooklyn Station, some of this "retail" space could be anything from a specialty retail boutique or restaurant, to a bar, dry cleaners or hair salon.
Just to let y'all know, I'm moving back home, not Jax (just yet), but to Lake City, and, retail, etc. is working just fine in downtown Sarasota (which is a different animal than Jax), but if our city leaders would get off their ass and do their jobs, anything is possible, and, it could and would work! I just don't buy using the "can't" word; there are a lot of success stories out there in other cities, both large and small, with retail stationed in downtown, urban core, and central of the cities.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 08:48:31 PM »
^ LOL, just drove through Lake City's historic "downtown" for the first time a few weeks ago and I thought it had more going for it than Jacksonville!  I find that true of most any town smaller than us. 

But, it seems the "big city" folks here aren't smart enough to figure out what everyone else already knows works.  And, that's after spending millions on know-it-all consultants, etc.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 06:30:05 PM »
Times Union editorial begs to differ, says we don't have a plan for Downtown:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/opinion/2021/03/07/editorial-we-have-vision-we-need-plan-downtown-jacksonville/4596085001/

Emphasis added.
....City officials say we have a plan for downtown. What we have is a vision. We need a plan.

Countless trips have been made to other cities to drool over their riverfront amenities and then everyone comes home and dreams about what we could do with the St. Johns. We could do a lot but then we let the developers decide what will happen....

....Jacksonville residents are more interested in the future of the downtown riverfront than ever before. The Riverwalks and memories of festivals at Metro Park have given them a taste of what could happen.

As frustrated as DIA is about the public pushback about the riverfront, this is an opportunity to leverage that interest and create real buy-in.

They don’t just want physical access to the river, they want psychological access as well. DIA CEO Lori Boyer has worked for years to get people to identify with the river. And now they are.

Maybe the Jessie Ball duPont Fund’s study of the riverfront will bring some fresh perspective to the vision created in 2014. But there needs to be a plan that decides what goes where, and then we need to make it happen.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 07:23:33 PM »
Good editorial. We need a plan that identifies and funds the what, where and when.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 08:19:35 AM »
^ LOL, just drove through Lake City's historic "downtown" for the first time a few weeks ago and I thought it had more going for it than Jacksonville!  I find that true of most any town smaller than us. 

But, it seems the "big city" folks here aren't smart enough to figure out what everyone else already knows works.  And, that's after spending millions on know-it-all consultants, etc.
And.......they don't know, or can't even attempt to conceive or understand, what the public in Jacksonville (also known as consumers), want and need. Tsk, tsk, tsk, it's just a damn shame people in lofty, high positions in Jax Government, CAN'T do, or don't know how to do their job!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!