Author Topic: Downtown Omni Hotel Sold  (Read 1992 times)

Bativac

Re: Downtown Omni Hotel Sold
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 05:41:33 AM »
I do believe that the revamp of the Downtown Historic Preservation and Revitalization Trust Fund will be transformational for the Northbank. There's a lot behind the scenes that takes time and will play out visually over the next few years.

Have to say, much as I would love this to be the case, I 1000% do not believe anything transformational is going to happen on the Northbank (unless there are more buildings to tear down). I was there last month and it was sad but not surprising. There's a reason many of us gave up and left and are trying to convince our families to do the same. I mean... I still have family living in Arlington. ARLINGTON!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 07:07:27 AM »
Definitely not soon but adaptive reuse takes time. I just wish a move like that would have been done during the Alvin Brown years or in Curry's first term. There would be completed projects by now, considering the pre-Covid real estate boom.

Instead of acknowledging our mistakes, our leaders are spending more time on the defensive attempting to justify the bad decisions that have been made without real public input. For example, in no meetings with the public over the last 20 years was there a sentiment to kick out existing successful businesses and create multiple vacant lots along the riverfront. Yet, we have several on the public teet still justifying poor decisions that set us back another decade.

With that said, I got over downtown being dead after an extended trip to Toronto over 10 years ago. I've accepted that things won't dramatically change there until there's new leadership that implements proven inclusive revitalization strategies that work. We don't have that today, so it's foolish to believe we'll see quick change when we're doing the same old things that have failed for years. In the meantime, I've come to enjoy the grassroots things happening in the surrounding neighborhoods and traveling to vibrant central business districts in other communities.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:16:09 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
There are some sharp people in this forum who seem to have a solid grasp of the inner workings of this city. What kind of action is being taken to reverse the stupidity loop we find this city stuck in? Is anyone here running for office soon? We can raise our fists all we want but I'm getting the sense all we are doing here is just agreeing with ourselves. This isn't a knock on anyone here so please do not misunderstand the premise. I am generally curious as to what sort of actions are being taken to put this city back on the right track.

I've thought a lot about that. The challenge with politics in this city, especially with its Republican dominance, is that it is largely decided by a relatively small group of very wealthy donors who don't mind the status quo, and it's hard to drive the amount of small individual donations it would take to make a grassroots campaign for say, Mayor, feasible. Not to say it would be impossible, but it would take a ton of planning and organizing which could very well mean missing this upcoming electoral cycle in 2023 and instead aiming for 2027, if one was brave enough to try. Not to mention the challenge of rallying public opinion from the bully pulpit to actually get things passed. Combined with the relative lack of a "bench" of potential non-establishment candidates for offices like City Council seats, Sheriff, Tax Collector, etc. No matter what it would be an uphill battle to gain the ability to pass what this site talks about.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 09:49:55 AM »
More about this:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/omni-jacksonville-to-be-managed-by-prism-hotels-and-resorts

The more I read about this situation, the less I feel this is really about DT Jax being subpar. Yes, it is, and I recognize that Omni didn't sell their Michigan Avenue hotel in Chicago. BUT: Omni as a chain has been struggling with their non-resort properties for some time. Omni's loyalty program isn't highly sought after, and this is a legit management company that is taking over that manages some high profile properties (read: High Profile isn't always High End).

Clearly this won't be an Omni, and whatever Flag is flying outside the place will demand some cash to be put into the place. The place isn't in terrible shape or anything but could use some TLC. Now, a more structural change to better embrace the street? That would be nice but that may not happen.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 10:28:47 AM »
I'm excited to see what the new brand will be. I don't expect Prism to make a dramatic change at ground level on their own. That's something that COJ and the DIA would need to pursue and partner with the property owner in the same manner and passion they do for Iguana and Shad Khan.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 12:08:17 PM »
I'm excited to see what the new brand will be. I don't expect Prism to make a dramatic change at ground level on their own. That's something that COJ and the DIA would need to pursue and partner with the property owner in the same manner and passion they do for Iguana and Shad Khan.

I suspect they would if Prism brings another pro franchise to town...  :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 12:31:38 PM »

So… next administration, then? Maybe the one after that?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 03:02:00 PM »

I suspect they would if Prism brings another pro franchise to town...  :)
LOL!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 03:04:08 PM »

So… next administration, then? Maybe the one after that?
I'm not confident (and don't even know if I'd want them too) with the current administration tackling such an issue.  Much of what has been done with the downtown riverfront in recent years has set us back a good generation from our peers. I'm totally fine waiting out two years to address some issues in a much better and inclusive manner.

tufsu1

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 09:46:24 PM »
^ remember - Mr. Curry said we wouldn't recognize downtown by 2023 ;)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 11:53:18 PM »
^Well he was right. It isn't the same. In 2010, I never would have imagined that by 2021, the Northbank skyline would be smaller than it was in 2000 and that pedestrian scale vibrancy would get worse. Somehow we found a way to defy the odds and burns tens of millions of tax dollars to get there.