Author Topic: Rust Belt Finale: Learning from Downtown Cincinnati  (Read 2363 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Rust Belt Finale: Learning from Downtown Cincinnati
« on: December 01, 2006, 12:00:00 AM »
Rust Belt Finale: Learning from Downtown Cincinnati

Our Rust Belt comparison finale takes us to the Queen City, the nation's 25th largest metropolitan area.  It is considered to have been the first major American  boomtown , rapidly expanding in the heart of the country in the early nineteenth century to rival the coastal metropolises in size and wealth. However, by the end of the century, its growth unexpectedly stopped and it was surpassed in population by many other inland cities.  Cincinnati is also known for the distinction of having the largest collection of nineteenth-century Italianate architecture in the country, primarily concentrated in the Over-The-Rhine neighborhood, just north of downtown.  

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/264

!

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »
The buildings are selling for under $50k and it only costs $50k to renovate? I'm moving to Cincinati!

JJ

Cincy has a clue too.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:51:27 AM »
My wife's family is from Cincinatti. They all love the city, hate the weather. Which is why they are in Florida. Looking at the pictures, it seems they are like every other major city when it comes to the parking situation. It amazes me how clueless our leadership is in this city.

jeff kern

Cincinnati native, Jax Comparison
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:35:22 PM »
Living urban core, active major retail centers, abundant restaurants
Fountain Square is active meeting place, city has long history of downtown living and is pedestrian friendly (Skywalk System), mass transit is heavily used, geography of area yields to highly identifiable neighborhoods, age of city (prior to auto-centric design)
Many urban hospitals and universities, and yes the weather suck's

I-10east

Every city "gets it" except Jax! whatever.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:02:19 PM »
I have a strange feeling that no matter what city that is compared to Jax on these threads, certain people will be on this Jax "bashfest". I'm so sick of and tired of people acting like every other city is so great except Jax. Geez, you'd think that we lived in Flint, MI or something. If you don't like Jax simply leave. I'll be the first to pack your bags at JIA. I been to the Nati and it's Okay, but I wouldn't live there. I'm staying right where I'm at in Jax.    

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Jax Bashfest
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 11:20:57 PM »
Jax has a lot of things going for it, but we're fooling ourselves if we believe our downtown isn't falling behind most major and midsized metropolitan areas, due to a lack of long term visioning by our public officials.

The comparison threads are definately not intended to bash our community.  Instead the purpose to expose Jacksonvillians to areas outside of Duval County and showcase the positives of improving our downtown through the simple and cheap process of revising restrictive city ordinances (signage, parking, etc.) to speed up the revitalization process.  

Packing up and leaving won't solve downtown's problems.  However, standing up and saying enough is enough and pushing to become a more progressive community will.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali