Author Topic: Town houses planned near East San Marco Publix development  (Read 7138 times)

MusicMan

Re: Town houses planned near East San Marco Publix development
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 09:11:25 PM »
"Old" San Marco is dead and gone

acme54321

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »
I'm guessing they are planning to build in the  modern colorful box style.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 09:40:04 PM »
Sticks + stucco + colorful squares and rectangles. Jax is gonna be such a weird dystopian place in 20 years from an architectural stand point.

acme54321

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 07:02:35 AM »
Sticks + stucco + colorful squares and rectangles. Jax is gonna be such a weird dystopian place in 20 years from an architectural stand point.

Sadly this isn't just a Jacksonville thing.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 09:38:34 AM »
"Old" San Marco is dead and gone

What specifically represents old San Marco to you that is now gone?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 08:10:18 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 11:05:46 AM »
Captain: the giant vacant lot, the dying churches, the vacant bath house, there were a lot of empty commercial spots. It was pretty sleepy there 5 years ago.  Density has increased/is increasing, it's more of a 'cruise' and Hendricks heading down toward Lakewood from the Square is a drag strip. More transient population, people feeding from the garbage cans.  I'm just describing what's going on, not passing judgment. It's not the same.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 11:27:56 AM by MusicMan »

MusicMan

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 11:33:36 AM »
It appears Toll Bros paid $2,000,000 for that 1 acre parcel in August 2021.   I assume they got a zoning change to accommodate the 27 units per acre usage...

Captain Zissou

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 12:03:47 PM »
It appears Toll Bros paid $2,000,000 for that 1 acre parcel in August 2021.   I assume they got a zoning change to accommodate the 27 units per acre usage...
This parcel was already within the East San Marco PUD, so I don't think they needed a zoning change.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 12:35:38 PM »
This parcel was already within the East San Marco PUD, so I don't think they needed a zoning change.

There have been a couple of changes to the PUD over the years.... but overall the PUD has been around since like 2002/2003.  In fact, there is MUCH LESS residential density than what the original PUD allowed almost 20 years ago.

it's more of a 'cruise' and Hendricks heading down toward Lakewood from the Square is a drag strip

Sorry, but these assertions are false.  If you want to go back to 15' vehicular lanes and the Square being mostly roadway instead of park space... then glad those days are long gone!

The State Road 13/Hendricks Avenue/San Jose Boulevard lane restriping completed in 2019 which narrowed vehicular lanes and added bike lanes.  Vehicle speed has slowed.   https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/urban-construction-update-september-2018-page-5/

The restriping of Hendricks Avenue happened in 2006, which also narrowed vehicular lanes, added bike lanes and ultimately slowed vehicle speeds.
https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2006-nov-hendricks-avenue-streetscape-photo-tour

In 2010, San Marco Boulevard was restriped to reduce the size of vehicular lanes, better mark on-street parking, widened medians, added dedicated turn lanes and included pedestrian crosswalks.
https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jun-san-marco-boulevard-before-after

In 2013 San Marco Square and Balis Park were modified to add both park space and vehicular parking, eliminate roadway and add lots of features to reduce vehicle speeds and add pedestrian safety features.  Additionally, the other stretch of San Marco Blvd received roundabouts, widened medians and pedestrian islands.
https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-aug-before-after-san-marco-squares-balis-park

Currently FDOT is planning to put measures in to slow vehicular traffic and add pedestrian safety features along the intersections of Hendricks/Atlantic around the Square.