Author Topic: Jumbo Shrimp to AAA?  (Read 3087 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Jumbo Shrimp to AAA?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 10:10:19 AM »
^Similiar note on "sports" and media coverage.

AEW has got to be one of the most underreported local stories of the last year and a half.

We've got a hugely successful live television program eminating weekly in primetime from Daily's Place (with socially distanced crowds of up to 1,000 for big events) and I don't know if anyone in the local media even realizes it.

Ahem.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/aew-is-making-jacksonville-a-wrestling-hotspot
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Ken_FSU

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 10:26:26 AM »
^Still the best local coverage I've seen in the last year and a half on AEW.

landfall

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 12:07:28 PM »
^Similiar note on "sports" and media coverage.

AEW has got to be one of the most underreported local stories of the last year and a half.

We've got a hugely successful live television program eminating weekly in primetime from Daily's Place (with socially distanced crowds of up to 1,000 for big events) and I don't know if anyone in the local media even realizes it.

It's one of the highest rated shows in the key demos out there, even beating the NBA playoffs some nights, and TNT just gave them a nearly $200 million extension of their television deal.

You watch the show, and they namedrop Jacksonville about a hundred times every episode. Daily's hit the jackpot with the naming rights deal, as Daily's Place legitimately has gained national recognition because of the AEW program with the 18-44 crowd.

I think the most interesting part of the story is actually Tony Khan, and comparing his handling of AEW to Shad Khan's handling of the Jags. Guy is clearly very passionate and hands on with the product. He's out doing the media rounds. He's making himself available. And he's talking about how he literally loses sleep and makes major changes if AEW loses a night on cable to the competition. And, unlike his Dad at times, I've never once heard Tony talk about Jacksonville through a pinched nose. Every show opens with "Welcome to Jacksonville, home of the Jags." He talks really positively in the media about Jacksonville as AEW's homebase. His company is constantly doing fundraisers for local gun violence, women's shelters, etc.

Just seems like a good dude. If the Jags end up in Tony's hands one day, I think people would really like him (assuming we turn things around on the field, obviously).
There seems to be a lot of Jags (and Fulham) fans who cite Tony Khan's interest in his wrestling company to be at the expense of the other roles he has with those teams.

Although I totally agree AEW has been a success story for Jacksonville that we hear little about. Are they using the stadium for office space/operations?

Tacachale

• Administrator
Could the Jumbo Shrimp be headed for Triple-A?
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »
Ask and you shall receive.

A pending realignment of minor league baseball has led to speculation that the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp could be promoted from class Double-A to Triple-A, the highest level in the minors. Could it happen?

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/could-the-jumbo-shrimp-be-headed-for-triple-a/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 12:24:43 PM »
MiLB officially announced the Jax AAA move this morning.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 12:28:56 PM »
This is really, really cool!

Charles Hunter

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 03:08:11 PM »
A not so favorable take on the contraction of the Minor Leagues from Mother Jones
Paying lots of people to play baseball was a problem, in developmental and financial terms, to be solved by paying substantially fewer people to play less baseball, in substantially fewer places. It’s a testament to the almost religious levels of self-absorption among Major League owners and executives that they didn’t think (or perhaps just did not care) about just how awful it sounds to tell people, publicly, that baseball games are a wasteful byproduct of professional baseball, as opposed to the entire point of professional baseball.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/12/monsters-of-2020-the-people-who-gutted-minor-league-baseball/?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits