Author Topic: Developer seeks building permit for $34 million Union Terminal redevelopment  (Read 1080 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Atlanta-based Columbia Ventures LLC is taking a step forward in its adaptive reuse of the Union Terminal Warehouse.

The developer applied to the city Oct. 20 for a building permit for a $34 million project to renovate the historic building at 700 E. Union St.

Columbia Ventures plans to convert the structure into apartments, commercial uses and possibly dining and entertainment.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/developer-seeks-building-permit-for-dollar34-million-union-terminal-redevelopment
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
I saw "Union Terminal" and got really excited for a moment, before I realized it was the warehouse.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

fhrathore

I saw "Union Terminal" and got really excited for a moment, before I realized it was the warehouse.
Still exciting!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Very exciting. If you've been to Atlanta, think Ponce City Market or Krog Street Market. This will be a huge economic boost to the Eastside. At the same time, if the community isn't organized, it is the type of product that could lead to gentrification and displacement.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

simms3

• Time has come
This is certainly one of the most exciting projects for Jacksonville.  The project sponsor is solid and I fully expect this to happen.  The longer term plans appear to include the construction of another similarly sized building as part of a phase 2, and there will probably be synergy with the Armory redevelopment and other nearby projects happening.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
I remember a similar proposal a few years back, is this the same group?

Cool building...I filmed a music video there haha. Also visited my friend's art studio space there.

Peter Griffin

I remember going there when the Jax maker Space was there. My buddy got us in on his membership to do some kinda shop work, cool place. We were able to get on the rooftop using the old freight elevator and stairwell, that was really neat. You could sit near the edge of the building throwing distance from the Mathews Expressway.

bl8jaxnative

Very exciting. If you've been to Atlanta, think Ponce City Market or Krog Street Market. This will be a huge economic boost to the Eastside. At the same time, if the community isn't organized, it is the type of product that could lead to gentrification and displacement.

I don't think we'll have to worry about gentrification until after one of Kahn's grandchildren in 40 years in working with JAX to w/ some sort of Lot Z project ( a la Lot J ) .   ;-)

My first reaction to the threat of gentrification is that there's just not enough there nor nearby.  There's a lot of ingredients needed for that sort of thing.  One of the most basic is JAX doesn't have the size to force that sort of an issue.    It's not just that Atlanta has 80,000 jobs in it's core downtown, it has a several job clusters right there.  Downtown runs into midtown runs into Atlantic Station.  There's Emory and even Hartsfield.   And Atlanta's so big if you're looking to live w/ quick access to those areas, the old 4th where Ponce's is, is close.  Jax is just nothing liek that in size to drive those sort of demand.

The old 4th has the beltline.  If McCoy's creek is ever cleaned up, one could argue that plays a similar role to the beltine.  But the old 4th had a nice juicy chunk of old industrial just sitting there, underutilized and even unused.  Hundreds of acres that could be easily scraped and filled with new apartments and condos.

There isn't that around the Union Terminal, it's a bit of a one-off with housing around it.  What empty old industrial land isn't there, it's way over on the river and Tallyrand.

One never knows.  There's no forumula and this could kick off some interest in the area.   It may be the sort of thing that gets a few more urban pioneers to set up shop next to the old cemetary.  Maybe.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
While certainly not at the scale of a first tier cosmopolitan area that's five times our size like Atlanta or DC, gentrification and displacement are things that are already present in Jax and many smaller communities across the nation. The most glaring local example is Brooklyn.

bl8jaxnative

City's change.  All sorts of people refer to those changes as "gentrification".    The looser the definition, the less the meaning.

The trick with the size is that it creates incentives for people beyond the few urban pioneers to push on through the existing problems and shortcomings of a neighborhood.

If my wife and I work in downtown Jacksonville, we can live 20 miles out and have a 1/2hour~ish commute.   In Atlanta, living 20 miles out like Marietta or Norcross and that's an hour each way.  And you've got a lot of things going on in that core.  Plus humans just do what other people do.  They smile, we smile. They cry, we cry.  They move to someplace, we.... well, are open to it.  :)

But really the key for size is that there are very few $500K, $700K, $1M condos that are going to be sold.  What the size brings is sheer #s of people in that market. 

Either way, it takes a lot and years and years to set in motion overcoming all the drawbacks and problems an area has.    Broken public schools too organizationally incompetent to teach children to read is a pretty big barrier.   

The homeless camp on the creek there is a another.

The same with things like this happening.   

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/11/06/police-3-wounded-including-juvenile-in-2-separate-jacksonville-shootings/

The first shooting was reported around 5:40 p.m. The Sheriff’s Office said officers responded to East Union Street near North Washington Street, and that they found two men suffering from stab and gunshot wounds.