Author Topic: Witness Comments on Shooting of 7-Year Old at Football Game  (Read 3697 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Witness Comments on Shooting of 7-Year Old at Football Game
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 04:03:38 PM »
I sense frustration from her.  She seems to be saying... where are the protesters for this?  There won't be any of course... it was getting so bad last year that many HS football games were moved to weekday day games.  I and many others feel her frustration...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 04:37:00 PM »
IMO, for someone to be frustrated by individuals protesting systemic discriminatory practices and policies (ex. basically why BLM exists), in that they don't treat Black on Black crime the same way, sort of suggests that the frustrated individual isn't actively doing anything themselves either. I've personally seen, been involved and lived long enough in communities of color to know that thousands are putting in the real work and effort to alleviate both of these "results" by attacking the root causes that have been major contributors to where we are today. Hell the BLM push to defund the police (dumb name, IMO...reallocating how we spend the tax money is more appropriate) is an exact example of a way to address and reduce Black on Black crime.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:23:25 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 04:46:26 PM »
And everyone is frustrated with Jax's crime problem, which isn't just Black on Black. Just read about some crazy White guy stabbing his wife to death. There will be no protest for that either. We continue to pour money into JSO but all we have to show for it is a higher crime rate. It will continue rising until we do things differently. This means acknowledging how we do things now is broken (or working for those who are not frustrated).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »
Just read about some crazy White guy stabbing his wife to death.

Yeah, and I bet when it was reported, no one brought up "all lives matter" protestors, did they? A white guy commits a crime, it's left at that. If a black guy commits a crime, it's somehow an indictment of every black person in existence.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 08:17:01 PM »
Oookay... I’m done here...  ???
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 09:31:04 PM »
Just to sum things up, I do understand what the woman said and sense her frustration. I'd just argue that her (and anyone) making it about who is and isn't protesting and for what the purpose for that protest is, is an example of misplaced frustration.

Hopefully, when the time comes, she and others who are frustrated will show up at the polls and vote for a mayor, council and sheriff capable of addressing Jacksonville's challenges in a different manner than their predecessors. Until there's change in how we carry ourselves and invest in the people of our community, the crime and frustrations will continue to rise.

sandyshoes

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 09:02:07 AM »
We're (Black people) not a tribe. She certainly doesn't speak for me and many Black people that I know. She also doesn't speak for many people involved with BLM and a number of other groups and individuals working to improve the quality of life and access to inclusive economic prosperity in communities of color across the globe. Even though some may agree with her opinion from a very limited perspective (if one is truly engaged with improving communities, they'd know people are working for improvement in a variety of areas), whatever she's pointing out is an individual opinion. I would hope that she and those who agree with this very very limited point, will be the first in line to specifically work on Black on Black violence. After all, we could use all the help we can get in making our community a better place.

So...BLM is really about improving 'the quality of life and access to inclusive economic prosperity in communities of color across the globe', as you have stated.  So it has nothing at all to do with what happened to Mr. Floyd?  So the fact that BoB violence continues without anyone batting an eye is and never was the issue BLM is protesting.  ??  Semantics vs living, breathing souls.  So it's really about 'quality of life', as you say, and not really about the life of a PERSON being taken.  And you think the latter won't improve until the police are defunded.  Who do you think they called to come to that ballgame and find out who killed the man and grazed his little son?  Police.  What should a socially conscious person do, these days, in this case, then?  This is one knotted-up shoelace. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »
BLM was around well before the Floyd murder and yes, there are people involved in that movement that are really about improving the quality of life and access to inclusive economic prosperity in minority communities. I personally know several people across the country that have been doing this in their communities before there was a BLM, that also happen to be a part of that movement.

And you think the latter won't improve until the police are defunded.

Pretty sure I said what we're doing now isn't working and that we need to look at how to reallocate what we spend our tax money on, is an appropriate way to attack the issue of Black on Black crime. Crime is a result of a cause. If you want to stop or reduce crime, you'll need to invest in creating economic opportunity to reduce environments of poverty that directly led to crime. Nothing will change, if the public investments are only to respond to the results. With that said, I'm not going to get wrapped in a Fox News/CNN debate on this topic though. I'm on the ground level with this type of stuff, so I know better. My limited time is better served doing things that actually help move the community forward.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 03:01:15 PM »
Perhaps instead of using the racial aspects of these types of attacks might be to categorize them as gang or drug related.  I am just trying to find a way to have an open and frank discussion of a sensitive and perhaps taboo subject. Open and frank discussion of racial issues is part of the BLM movement is it not?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 03:54:31 PM »
Yes. Most people are uncomfortable about racial discussions but we won't resolve them without transparent conversation. Gang or drug related would be more appropriate than a focus on Black on Black crime because the average person of any color isn't going around gunning people down in cold blood. In my opinion, to resolve this problem, it really all starts with revamping policies and finally investing in communities we've forced into generational poverty decades prior to where we are today. Poverty, lack of economic opportunity and prosperity is a direct cause that leads to the crime we'd like to see significantly reduced.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2020, 07:57:54 PM »
The solutions you speak of are long term.  Short term solutions require arresting the person(s) involved in the the crime. Community organizers and advocates bemoan the "code of silence " and no snitching rules prevent apprehension. The police are aware that many in the community know who the criminals are but refuse to say... and the crimes continue...

The community needs to help law enforcement do their jobs...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2020, 08:43:52 PM »
Perhaps if we would have invested in these communities and the youth differently in 2005, the 20 somethings and teenagers shooting up the place now would have taken a different path in life.

It took over a century to get to where we are today, so no one should expect grand change overnight, no matter what we do. Nevertheless, you need to do multiple things simultaneously to improve things in the long run. Arresting people (who then get out and return to the streets with felonies and no economic prosperity potential) and not changing that environment that led to the criminal activity, leads to continued criminal activity as the generations coming up behind those arrested, follow the path of the role models before them.

Btw, I'm not actually arguing against law enforcement. The problem is much larger than that. What I'm attempting to point out is that the current system is broken. It needs to be fixed. The only way to do that is the change what has not worked. Reallocating the way we spend our tax money to resolve things that clearly aren't working is worthy of a community discussion.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:48:04 PM by thelakelander »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »
Community organizers and advocates are saying that people in the community know who the shooter is and are not talking...

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
Community organizers and advocates are saying that people in the community know who the shooter is and are not talking...

Hardly surprising. Fear has a way of making people clam up.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2020, 11:07:32 AM »

Hardly surprising. Fear has a way of making people clam up.

Is that what it is Adam?