Author Topic: Witness Comments on Shooting of 7-Year Old at Football Game  (Read 3690 times)

sandyshoes

Witness Comments on Shooting of 7-Year Old at Football Game
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:04:10 AM »
Turn up your speakers and watch this coverage. Hear what the witness comments to Maggie Lorenz.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/10/19/shooting-at-arlington-heights-elementary-football-game-leaves-man-dead-and-7-yo-injured/

downtownbrown

Re: Witness Comments on Shooting of 7-Year Old at Football Game
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
Yes, I think she brilliantly puts her finger on it.  It must drive folks crazy to watch elite whites jump on the BLM bandwagon while completely ignoring the real issue that she describes so well. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »
LOL, what does BLM have to do with this event? While this is certainly tragic, it certainly doesn't discredit the reason why BLM was created.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

downtownbrown

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
who is discrediting BLM?  I was referring to the mother's comments.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 03:13:23 PM »
That video had a lot in it. The BLM comment didn't even register until I read your post. I just hope that out of all that was shown in that video, we don't drill it down to BLM vs Black on Black murder conversation. There's several people volunteering time to work on both of these issues and several other issues within the community not discussed in this particular incident. No one should be bothered about anyone desiring to spend their time helping any needed cause.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:15:45 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 05:33:35 PM »

What she is saying is quite simply this --> we have problems that we need to fix.  Those other things, those ain't things that we should be prioritizing.  We need to prioritize our own lives, our own neighborhoods, our own city.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »

What she is saying is quite simply this --> we have problems that we need to fix.  Those other things, those ain't things that we should be prioritizing.  We need to prioritize our own lives, our own neighborhoods, our own city.

Surely no one would reasonably argue that we shouldn't try to stop cops from killing black people until we sort out all the other issues that plague society first? People can do more than one thing at a time - they can tackle more than one issue at a time.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 06:06:40 PM »
^Bingo. What happened in Arlington doesn't have anything to do with BLM and shouldn't be made to pit the purpose of it against other issues in our society. We can walk and chew gum at the same time to improve a community's quality of life simultaneously.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »
Statement from Mayor Curry:

The senseless violence that occurred in Jacksonville this weekend will not be tolerated. To the victims and their families, I extend my deepest sympathy. To the 7-year-old child shot at the Arlington Athletic Association, my family and I are praying for your full recovery. As a father and former coach of youth athletes, this senseless act of violence is particularly distressing. Since taking office six years ago, I've ensured that my annual budgets provide the resources necessary for Sheriff Williams and JSO to protect and serve our City. While we are seeing progress with the crime fighting programs and tools we've implemented, we must remain steadfast in our commitment to make Jacksonville a safer community for all citizens.

Some backlash.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Ken_FSU

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
The senseless violence that occurred in Jacksonville this weekend will not be tolerated. To the victims and their families, I extend my deepest sympathy. To the 7-year-old child shot at the Arlington Athletic Association, my family and I are praying for your full recovery. As a father and former coach of youth athletes, this senseless act of violence is particularly distressing. Since taking office six years ago, I've ensured that my annual budgets provide the resources necessary for Sheriff Williams and JSO to protect and serve our City. While we are seeing progress with the crime fighting programs and tools we've implemented, We must remain steadfast in our commitment to make Jacksonville a safer community for all citizens.

Fixed.

Guy takes too many queues out of the ol' Trump playbook.

Doesn't always have to be about you, or political agenda.

Just acknowledge the tragic loss, vow to keep working on our violence issues, and sign off.

sandyshoes

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »
Reply #6:  Adam, don't you live in England now?  Reply #7:  To me, what the woman is pointing out, as she said 'we' were jumping on the BLM bandwagon but there's still black on black violence...the black on black violence needs to stop.  The 27 year old father at the football game and his 7-year old son were not shot at by police, it was said to be a planned attack by another black man. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »
We're (Black people) not a tribe. She certainly doesn't speak for me and many Black people that I know. She also doesn't speak for many people involved with BLM and a number of other groups and individuals working to improve the quality of life and access to inclusive economic prosperity in communities of color across the globe. Even though some may agree with her opinion from a very limited perspective (if one is truly engaged with improving communities, they'd know people are working for improvement in a variety of areas), whatever she's pointing out is an individual opinion. I would hope that she and those who agree with this very very limited point, will be the first in line to specifically work on Black on Black violence. After all, we could use all the help we can get in making our community a better place.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:43:29 AM by thelakelander »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 10:48:15 AM »
Btw, I just sat in on a City of Jacksonville Community Based Crime Reduction Cross Sector Team meeting yesterday. I can personally say there are a lot of local individuals and groups working to address crime in this community, regardless of whether its Black on Black, White on White, etc. Anyone who wants to help, there's opportunity to get involved. None of this means there isn't a place for BLM though.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 11:42:32 AM »
Reply #6:  Adam, don't you live in England now? 

I do - but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sandyshoes

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 03:59:31 PM »
Reply to #6:  Sorry, I misread your earlier post.  Carry on.