Author Topic: Cool video exploring CSX's local rail infrastructure circa 1999  (Read 776 times)

Josh

Cool video exploring CSX's local rail infrastructure circa 1999
« on: October 15, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »
Some really interesting footage of the Jacksonville's heavy rail infrastructure dating back to 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9XiTyvq0w&feature=youtu.be

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4P9XiTyvq0w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4P9XiTyvq0w</a>

I'm amazed that I never knew the Ortega River was originally called McGirt's Creek.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: Cool video exploring CSX's local rail infrastructure circa 1999
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 11:03:55 AM »
Oh, I saw this a few days ago. Great video. Interesting to think about how much has changed since it was made.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 02:46:51 PM »
Pretty cool throwback video. I didn't know that Amtrak shipped freight. Is that still a thing?

Also, I assume many of the local yards in the video aren't as active anymore as a result of the recent streamlining at CSX?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 02:23:04 PM »

Many argued that Amtrak's freight should have never been a thing.  Amtrak called it express and said it was covered under existing agreements.  Freight roads disagreed.

Either way you had Amtrak which was founded 30 years to find a way to make passenger service profitable, sinking capital into hauling freight.    Nothing about that so called fast freight business was going to make Amtrak profitable. 

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 06:12:00 PM »
Cool videos.  Didn't know about Amtrak freight either.  Those bogies to directly support the trailers were pretty cool.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 12:25:34 AM »
Agreed, this is a great video.  It makes a great case for Jax hosting a railroad museum as I mentioned on the MOSH thread earlier.

A shame that they didn't salvage the 1919 Beaver Street traffic control building as that looks to have been as historic as any other building in Jacksonville given its role in railroad history.  You would think they could have easily moved a building of that size to another site at least.  Just another example of Jax missing the boat train on exploiting its history. Look no further than the people congregating from all over the world to out-fo-the-way Folkston  to watch the same trains passing through Jax.

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 06:39:40 AM »
Look no further than the people congregating from all over the world to out-fo-the-way Folkston  to watch the same trains passing through Jax.

Not really, that traffic is split back up on the south end at Callahan.  The only places you could see it all in one spot is Folkstoe, Hilliard or Callahan. 

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
There's nothing all that historical about the beaver street tower.

I'd much rather see the city put resources into replacing septic systems or developing a new park than that crusty old brick pile.

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »
Look no further than the people congregating from all over the world to out-fo-the-way Folkston  to watch the same trains passing through Jax.

Not really, that traffic is split back up on the south end at Callahan.  The only places you could see it all in one spot is Folkston, Hilliard or Callahan.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 09:02:32 PM »
This guy hopped an FEC freight from Jacksonville to Miami...

https://youtu.be/Pgp8rJvzU1k
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 11:48:15 PM »
The YouTube algorithm put that on my home page last week, that was awesome. There's something oddly alluring about the idea of just chilling on a train for a few hundred miles.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 12:16:34 AM »
Pretty cool!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 07:26:23 AM »
I did this a few times as a stupid teenager for a couple miles on a very slow mover from one end of town to the other... I stopped when the train began speeding up and twisted my ankle bad jumping off...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."