Author Topic: Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing Park Renderings  (Read 694 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing Park Renderings
« on: October 01, 2020, 12:11:42 PM »

A look at plans to turn the birth site of James Weldon and John Rosamond Johnson into a world-class public space in LaVilla.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/lift-evry-voice-and-sing-park-renderings/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing Park Renderings
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »
My instant question is what the plan will be to maintain this. I think it looks great, but I want to know exactly how they plan to keep this in ship-shape, and whether the money is secured to implement that plan.

Side note, funny how they can just drop a fancy plan to redesign this park on everyone, but the Landing needs a couple more years to really think about.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
This one is about five years in the making, starting with the community successfully getting a dirt lot landmarked before it ended up being another apartment complex or surface parking lot. This plan likely would not have been possible without DuPont Trust getting involved. As you know, the Landing is a mess politically, which screws with its timeline and overall future vision, despite once already having a developer willing to implement a plan we've already paid for.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »

Bativac

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 04:23:08 PM »
My instant question is what the plan will be to maintain this. I think it looks great, but I want to know exactly how they plan to keep this in ship-shape, and whether the money is secured to implement that plan.

One thousand times this. I have absolutely zero doubt that no thought was given to the maintenance of this public space. I would love to be proven wrong.

acme54321

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:06:59 PM »

One thousand times this. I have absolutely zero doubt that no thought was given to the maintenance of this public space. I would love to be proven wrong.

You won't be.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 05:13:26 PM »
A virtual community town hall meeting about design plans for the park is noon Oct. 13. The event is facilitated by the Jessie Ball duPont Fund. To register, visit jbd.fund/park. That will be a good opportunity to ask a question about the plan to maintain the space.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 05:14:24 PM »
I wish there were a way to recreate that Augusta Savage sculpture from the World's Fair and incorporate it into either this park or JWJ Park, and to save an actual distressed shotgun house to install in the park.

Am I hallucinating, or wasn't there a plan to either add street strips or some kind of musical element to the side of a garage that would play Lift Ev'ry Voice also?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:16:12 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 05:21:53 PM »
^A replica of the harp likely won't end up here but the shotgun is supposed to be one of the three currently falling a part near Genovar's Hall.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 07:28:59 PM »
Do you guys think Johnson Commons would still be interesting in/willing to execute their proposal if Vestcor backs out?

Would complemenet the park so much better than what Vestcor has proposed.

Or has the damage already been done in rejecting the better proposal for political reasons and allowing the winner to ape its best idea (the shotgun inspired homes)?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 11:21:24 PM »
I'm sure multiple developers with the means to pull off a town house style development would be interested if Vestcor backed out. Especially, with the park coming in by Fall 2022.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 01:05:58 AM »
Park plans look great.  Just laughing as the elements in this park break every rule for developing the public lawn in front of the courthouse.  Imagine what that could be if the City would lighten up and allow this type of approach there.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
Isn't this over-budget for the courthouse project? IIRC that's about ~$600k.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 01:40:23 PM »

With all the limitations the City has for the courthouse lawn, most people would probably find it hard to spend $600K +/- on the options left.  No doubt the City will find a way to spend it all regardless  8).  My point was they can't do much regardless of the budget they have to work with.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 01:43:32 PM »

That $600k was already in the courthouse budget, as part of the set-aside for public art (as required by ordinance).  I believe (and may be off a bit, as I am going off recollection only) that the landscaping wound up costing about $1.5mm.  Not terribly dissimilar numbers when you combine the two, particularly considering that Lift Ev'ry Voice is designed to be a much more active space.