Author Topic: Local Referendum Issues on the Ballot  (Read 529 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Local Referendum Issues on the Ballot
« on: September 29, 2020, 03:31:31 PM »
Since there has been zero discussion I thought maybe I should bring it up...  :)

The first local referendum regards a 15 year 1/2 cent sales tax to repair and build new schools.
I did see this includes charter schools...

The second local referendum amends the Jacksonville charter to allow the city council the authority to remove and appoint four new JEA board members. It also enables them to amend the qualifications for board members.

At first glance I support both of these but I sure would like to know more...  We get so caught up in the national election that the more important and impactful local and state issues are being ignored...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Local Referendum Issues on the Ballot
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »
I'm still not crazy about the desire to raze historic school buildings and I think the argument of Duval having the oldest schools in the state is a weak one. We should, we're one of the oldest cities in the state by far. The age of the space should not be the driver of why we should invest in our facilities. Springfield is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city. That doesn't mean you should raze and replace it with Bartram Park. Nevertheless, I still support both issues.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:46:21 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »
Duval Schools already has a what, $2 billion dollar budget?   That is plenty to cover the capital projects they may actually need.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 04:43:46 PM »
For me I'm for the 1st one - bottom line is the money isn't going to come from Tallahassee for capital needs.

I'm not sold on the 2nd one - I think the process is fine how it is. The problem was that the council rubber stamped the JEA board in question with no due diligence. Personally I'd rather have another executive like the governor make the appointment versus a legislative body - most of the Authorities in Jacksonville do give a few seats to he governor. It seems like a kneejerk reaction because the council as a whole didn't do their job.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
Duval Schools already has a what, $2 billion dollar budget?   That is plenty to cover the capital projects they may actually need.

Big difference between OpEx and CapEx. The OpEx may be $2B but that doesn't mean there's material money to invest in capital

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »

Not sure what their budget is... certainly not 2 billion. Have you been in any of our older schools?  Many desperately need basic maintenance not to mention upgrades for the 21st century.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 06:19:05 PM »
It's actually pretty close.

For 2019-20, Duval Schools' total balance was about $1.8 billion. $160 million of that is their capital projects fund.

In comparison, St. Johns County Schools the same year had a total balance of about $792 million. They actually have a larger capital projects fund at about $222 million. Which is interesting when you remember that SJCSD has fewer schools and students.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »
Are you saying we are wasting huge amounts of money already?

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 12:35:27 AM »
I'm not an auditor, I can't answer that. But the DCPS "Instruction" appropriation is the size of SJCSD's entire budget.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 06:37:21 AM »
Wow... this is the information voters need to examine 30 days prior to voting. It is clear to me that plenty of people have already cast votes on these issues without any real knowledge...

acme54321

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 07:22:15 AM »

For 2019-20, Duval Schools' total balance was about $1.8 billion. $160 million of that is their capital projects fund.

In comparison, St. Johns County Schools the same year had a total balance of about $792 million. They actually have a larger capital projects fund at about $222 million. Which is interesting when you remember that SJCSD has fewer schools and students.

Duval has three times as many students.  $160M for capital improvements isn't going to go that far in 2020.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 08:51:25 AM »

Duval has three times as many students.  $160M for capital improvements isn't going to go that far in 2020.

Correct. Far more students, far more schools, and far older buildings.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxjags

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
Some quick numbers:

Duval Student Population: 125,000 +/-

St. Johns Student Population:  44,000 +/-

Can do some math, BUT keep in mind these counties are in totally different situations as to budget requirements.

I totally support school referendum, but wish it was not a sales tax. Sales tax has a bigger impact on lower income groups.