Author Topic: Recycle... or not?  (Read 678 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Recycle... or not?
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
Like most of you I dutifully recycle as much as I am able.  I even compost appropriate kitchen and yard waste.  The question is... what is Jacksonville REALLY doing with the collected materials?  Is the cost of recycling reflected in the city budget?  This subject may be a great investigative report...  8)

Great article below...

https://quillette.com/2020/09/21/as-city-budgets-shrink-its-time-to-rethink-recycling-programs/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Recycle... or not?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:54:49 AM »
It is sad and infuriating that the vast majority of humans demand plastic packaging, products and convenience. What was China doing with the huge volumes of collected materials prior to their severe reductions in recycling imports?

I would really like to know what is happening in Jacksonville...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 11:26:47 AM »
It is sad and infuriating that the vast majority of humans demand plastic packaging, products and convenience. What was China doing with the huge volumes of collected materials prior to their severe reductions in recycling imports?

I would really like to know what is happening in Jacksonville...

Apparently they would incinerate the plastic - at least in some cases. Which is weird, because when I was a kid, they always told us not to burn plastic because it released toxic gases. So I can only imagine the environmental impact of incerating large amounts of plastic!

Of course, there might be some way to do it cleanly - it's really not my area.

We clearly need to turn off the plastic tap. And the fact that we use so much is bad enough - but it's crazy when we wrap things that are non-perishable in so much plastic. There has to be a better way.

As far as Jax goes - do you think we just put it in a landfill? Surely we'd have to run out of space at some point....
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
I really don't know what Jax is doing these days.  A few years ago they rolled out a ambitious recycle program replacing the too small blue bins with the large containers picked up bi weekly...The program initially recycled basically everything with few restrictions. Now it is down to basic glass, paper, and cans... eliminating Styrofoam, plastic bags, etc...

But that was before China stopped importing shiploads of recyclables. I have a bad feeling that due to budgetary concerns items are going to the landfill. About the same time we opened a new landfill based on our extensive new recycling program...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 02:10:28 PM »
This explains the changes to our recycling program...

https://news.wjct.org/post/read-tossing-something-recycle-bin-jacksonville

Charles Hunter

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
Yeah, it's kinda weird. Back when we had the small open bins, that were handled by a person, just about anything was taken for recycling. And, the waste collection person could easily see if you had some stuff that didn't belong, and remove it from the bin.
Now, that we have 50 gallon (?) bins with lids, that are collected by robot arms (in some areas), and never seen by a human - we have a short list of what we can recycle. Where I am, the collection (recycling and garbage) trucks have a person on the back of the truck that rolls the bin to a manual arm on the truck for emptying.  Then, they just shove the empty bin back off the road, it's on its side more often than not.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:45:54 PM »
Where does it go?  Who do we sell it too?  What is the profit or loss of the program?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 08:55:53 PM »
Boss Curry could tell ya ... but then he'd have to kill ya'

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »
Found this little blurb in last year's budget... 2021 doesn't seem to be published yet...

Professional and Contractual Services
 This category includes expenditures for the garbage hauler contracts of $35,517,056, hauler fuel
costs of $3,616,232, processing of recyclable materials of $2,649,073 and the operation of the
Trail Ridge landfill of $11,300,860. The increase in this category is mainly due to an increase in
the hauler contracts.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »
There's some kind of irony in how we spend more money on gas for garbage trucks than we do on recycling.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 07:47:56 AM »
Really comprehensive and informative article about the process of recycling and the history of the process. One area I think Jacksonville is deficient is educating the public on how and what can be recycled.

Please take 5 minutes and give it a read...

https://www.knowablemagazine.org/article/sustainability/2020/recycling-meets-reality