Author Topic: Amazon plans to open 1,000 delivery hubs in cities and suburbs across US  (Read 507 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Amazon coming to a suburb near you: report

Amazon is looking to open 1,000 delivery hubs in cities and suburbs across the United States, according to a report by Bloomberg.

The proposed expansion, which will eventually see a total of about 1,500 facilities, will reportedly be used to bring products closer to customers and make the process of shopping online similar to a quick run to the grocery store.

In addition, the move will allow the company to take on rivals like Walmart and Target, who have been able to offer same-day delivery of online orders to customers through their brick-and-mortar stores.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/amazon-coming-to-a-suburb-near-you
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

• The Jaxson
Re: Amazon plans to open 1,000 delivery hubs in cities and suburbs across US
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 09:07:17 AM »
Maybe they will let the public go inside and pick out their own stuff. That would be pretty groundbreaking.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:16:12 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 10:13:03 AM »
Perhaps we are coming back to Service Merchandise being on the forefront of retail
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Traveller

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 02:08:47 PM »
Maybe they will let the public go inside and pick out their own stuff. That would be pretty groundbreaking.

Amazon just opened a store in Palm Beach Gardens that lets you do just that.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:28:54 PM »

When I heard the rumor that Amazon was looking at closed department stores, this was my first thought. It makes no sense to use it as a warehouse as you can get cheaper land elsewhere and build.

But I could see a variation of this, where Amazon would deliver from the warehouse to a store like this and people would come pick it up. Malls certainly would love the foot traffic. One thing I can't get past though....right now Prime has free Next Day Shipping (sort of - thanks COVID) to my house. I need some incentive to get in my car.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 03:39:08 PM »
Perhaps we are coming back to Service Merchandise being on the forefront of retail

I don't believe their store mode was the entire reason for their downfall per se. They definitely lost market share in categories, but I'd argue that this happening wasn't entirely tied to their in-store model - Now I would agree than because of technology in 1990 the model was more conducive to buying a larger item vs. daily shopping.

Now, the process would be WAY more streamlined today than in 1990. This could be something Amazon does - everyone knows the items that many people like to see, touch, and feel vs. items that I don't need to see before buying.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 04:36:32 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16008589011