Author Topic: Edward Waters College to become a university following budget windfall  (Read 428 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Following a $3.5 million increase in funding, the historically Black college in Jacksonville plans on adding undergraduate programs as well as its first master’s program. State and university officials have praised the decision, saying that the funding offers expanded opportunities for students.

Edward Waters College, the first historically Black college in Florida, is on its way to becoming a university.

President A. Zachary Faison Jr., who declined interview requests, recently announced at a news conference with Gov. Ron DeSantis that the college has received much more in state funding than expected.

Full article: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200713/edward-waters-college-to-become-university-following-budget-windfall
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
Cool to see that the HBCUs are getting additional funding (looks like BCC and FAMU will also benefit).

But....I'm not seeing the tie to the additional colleges and grad programs. I mean the increase in funding was $3.5M - that doesn't sound anywhere near enough to add those programs.

Or am I missing something here?

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
I mean, it's $3.5m per year from the sound of it. If you're spending a million on new instructors, another half mil on advising and administration, and the rest on infrastructure (whether light construction and renovation or digital operations) then it probably makes sense over a few years.

jaxlongtimer

Cool to see that the HBCUs are getting additional funding (looks like BCC and FAMU will also benefit).

But....I'm not seeing the tie to the additional colleges and grad programs. I mean the increase in funding was $3.5M - that doesn't sound anywhere near enough to add those programs.

Or am I missing something here?

As explained to me, in the education world, the distinction between a college and a university is that the latter also offers graduate level programs.  The article says EWC plans to start with an MBA program.  Of all graduate programs, this is probably the easiest and cheapest program to add as all you need are professors (often coming from the business world so a big pool of talent to draw from) and classroom space (not like the sciences that need expensive labs or other disciplines that may require similar expensive facilities, competition for research grants and/or a higher priced faculty).  And, an MBA is probably the largest enrolled post grad degree around.  I wouldn't be surprised if an MBA program couldn't also deliver a bit of profit on its tuition.

Must be something to this as virtually every "university" offers an MBA - seems to be far more than any other graduate level program (such as law, engineering, medicine, dental, veterinary, performing arts, sciences, education, etc.).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:54:29 PM by jaxlongtimer »