Author Topic: Rioters? Uh...may want to skip Clay county.  (Read 2230 times)

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
Re: Rioters? Uh...may want to skip Clay county.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 03:43:40 PM »
This is interesting, look at this for a minute:  a lot of people sound frightened of LICENSED gun owners being deputized by the Sheriff - are they just as frightened of those who may own stolen guns, who are already exacting their own brand of justice in the streets?  Discuss.
No one should be frightened of this because it in reality was never being considered just something to excite the rubes. People will just have to give up their barney fife fantasy.

The rubes??  Who are the rubes??  Why would you classify or denigrate or pigeon hole someone who you don't know?  Seems beneath you Jeffrey...
Maybe you give me too much credit or maybe I was cranky.  I will just say I don't believe there is any or ever was any serious consideration to the sheriff's office needing to deputize anyone. 
Lenny Smash

MandarinNole

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
The rubes are people like those in the Ahmaud Arbery incident.  Overzealous gun owners with itchy trigger fingers who when encouraged, cause tragedies.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
This is interesting, look at this for a minute:  a lot of people sound frightened of LICENSED gun owners being deputized by the Sheriff - are they just as frightened of those who may own stolen guns, who are already exacting their own brand of justice in the streets?  Discuss.
No one should be frightened of this because it in reality was never being considered just something to excite the rubes. People will just have to give up their barney fife fantasy.

The rubes??  Who are the rubes??  Why would you classify or denigrate or pigeon hole someone who you don't know?  Seems beneath you Jeffrey...
Maybe you give me too much credit or maybe I was cranky.  I will just say I don't believe there is any or ever was any serious consideration to the sheriff's office needing to deputize anyone. 

I  agree... but based on the article the only person deserving criticism is the sheriff.  I don't believe there was any people clamoring to be  deputized...  calling an entire group of people "rubes" is just as damaging as some of the labels we are all currently trying to end...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2020, 08:26:07 AM »
The rubes are people like those in the Ahmaud Arbery incident.  Overzealous gun owners with itchy trigger fingers who when encouraged, cause tragedies.
As opposed to criminals who own guns with itchy trigger fingers causing tragedies?  What derisive term is acceptable to call them?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2020, 08:41:31 AM »
The existence of criminals is not an excuse to abandon all sense of responsibility or accountability in public safety.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2020, 08:48:29 AM »
The existence of criminals is not an excuse to abandon all sense of responsibility or accountability in public safety.

For too many cities ( not Jax) I would go with.... the existence of protesters is not an excuse to abandon all sense of responsibility or accountability in public safety.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »

Still missing the point I see... and clearly not interested in it...

MandarinNole

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2020, 11:32:22 AM »

The point is it's the Sherriff's job to make sure criminals get arrested and to keep their citizens safe.  Not have some flashy tax-payer funded show of power while passing the buck to Average Joe Gun Owner for some hyperbolic threat.

Daniels should have said "I am incapable of doing the job you elected me to do.  If anything goes bad, you're on your own."  Doesn't quite rile the base in the same way, I suppose.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »

The point is it's the Sherriff's job to make sure criminals get arrested and to keep their citizens safe.  Not have some flashy tax-payer funded show of power while passing the buck to Average Joe Gun Owner for some hyperbolic threat.

Daniels should have said "I am incapable of doing the job you elected me to do.  If anything goes bad, you're on your own."  Doesn't quite rile the base in the same way, I suppose.

Regardless of WHAT he decided to say, it would have been nice for him to take a few minutes to actually write it down in advance. That was embarrassing.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »

Regardless of WHAT he decided to say, it would have been nice for him to take a few minutes to actually write it down in advance. That was embarrassing.

Eloquent and Rube don’t mix. Gotta know your audience.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2020, 01:45:37 PM »

Still missing MY point... which was in regards to our penchant for labeling and categorizing of groups of people. Including name calling... the hypocrisy being that shaming some is acceptable while others it isn’t. I personally don’t give a shit about the sheriff and his silly stunt...

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2020, 08:11:27 PM »
I know your right about the name calling BT ya big &^*(^.
Lenny Smash

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2020, 08:25:36 PM »
Lol... love ya Jeffery... :) :)