Author Topic: Stein Mart reports Q1 loss of almost $66 million  (Read 676 times)

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
Stein Mart reports Q1 loss of almost $66 million
« on: July 01, 2020, 07:53:46 AM »
Stein Mart Inc. reported a net loss of $65.7 million, or $1.38 a share, for the first quarter ended May 2, as store closures for the COVID-19 pandemic sharply reduced sales.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/stein-mart-reports-q1-loss-of-almost-dollar66-million

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Stein Mart reports Q1 loss of almost $66 million
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:47:56 AM »
Really hope that they can turn the ship around but this is a pretty challenging time for retail, even without a COVID-19 pandemic.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 10:27:23 AM »
Same here - the cash on hand (or lack thereof) is a problem. They appear to be able to borrow short term, but that won't last forever if they keep losing $65M per quarter.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 11:58:26 AM »
It feels like the only chance Steinmart has at this point is if they can outlast some others.  Like enough other stores close in local markets where they are that those folks drift over to them.   I don't think they bring anything to plate that 83 other retailers don't also do.

blizz01

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »
Seems like they're somewhere between Ross and Belk. Would love to seem them take a stab at filling the mall vacancies left by JCP.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 03:57:55 PM »
Seems like they're somewhere between Ross and Belk. Would love to seem them take a stab at filling the mall vacancies left by JCP.

I can't see them making any major real estate transactions at the moment with their limited cash. Plus mall traffic is going the wrong direction. Them being outside malls is an advantage for their target customer.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »
I’m surprised they didn’t try to bring a store to Durbin Park. North St Johns seems like exactly the kind of people who would shop there.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »
From my observations and understanding, retailers going forward are going to be mostly hybrids of on-line and bricks and mortar.  Visit the store or on-line, see what you like, buy on-line and pick-up/return/get customer service at the store.

Stein Mart was slow to go online and is still catching up.  The stores are nice but now need that on-line compliment.  If SMRT can make it through COVID with a more robust on-line presence they may survive.

blizz01

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
Service Merchandise was ahead of it's time.....

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 09:33:00 AM »
From my observations and understanding, retailers going forward are going to be mostly hybrids of on-line and bricks and mortar.  Visit the store or on-line, see what you like, buy on-line and pick-up/return/get customer service at the store.

Winner.

If you want a primer on this, check this out (from a conference I went to in January.....back when conferences were a thing):

https://nrf.com/blog/erik-nordstrom-discusses-serving-customers-their-terms
https://press.nordstrom.com/news-releases/news-release-details/erik-nordstrom-nrf-big-show

The "money quote" is this:

More than half of Nordstrom sales have an online component and over a one-third of its online sales involve a store experience.

bill

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »

I can't see them making any major real estate transactions at the moment with their limited cash. Plus mall traffic is going the wrong direction. Them being outside malls is an advantage for their target customer.
Replacing JCP, LOL great idea. Maybe a plan to improve on blockbusters.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 02:19:03 PM »

I was thinking the same.   Even JCP tried to move away from malls 20 years ago.  It just ain't cheap to move existing stores.