Author Topic: Jacksonville's hidden urban creeks - McCoys Creek  (Read 604 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Jacksonville's hidden urban creeks - McCoys Creek
« on: June 29, 2020, 09:46:01 AM »

Wouldn’t it be great to explore the wilderness a stone’s throw from the center of one of the biggest cities in Florida? It’s possible, but you have to embrace a little adventure because there is currently not public space along this beautiful pocket of nature. In honor of June being Great Outdoors Month, Scott Gann of the Bold Cities Project shares the sights and scenes of McCoys Creek.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jacksonvilles-hidden-urban-creeks-mccoys-creek/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Peter Griffin

Re: Jacksonville's hidden urban creeks - McCoys Creek
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »
Those "Pipes crossing McCoys Creek horizontally without a clear purpose" are horizontal supports to shore up the failing bulkhead on either side, in order to prevent them from collapsing into the creek.

sandyshoes

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
I wonder what the "warning signs" were (regarding contamination in the water) that the author admits he "did not read until later"?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:05:31 AM by sandyshoes »

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 11:34:14 AM »
I wonder what the "warning signs" were (regarding contamination in the water) that the author admits he "did not read until later"?

There are signs along the shore warning not to fish in the creek due to the presence of contamination. Hogans, McCoys, Long Branch and Moncrief Creek all have such signs. You can see what they look like in this link:

https://news.wjct.org/post/remediation-hogans-creek-among-goals-new-jax-nonprofit

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
Those "Pipes crossing McCoys Creek horizontally without a clear purpose" are horizontal supports to shore up the failing bulkhead on either side, in order to prevent them from collapsing into the creek.

The current Capital Improvement Plan adopted by COJ has money identified to restore those bulkheads and re-route the first three (I believe) of the drainage pipes causing obstructions from the Brooklyn section right as you come out of the Riverside Ave viaduct through the Mixon Town section of the waterway through the I-95 overpass.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »

The current Capital Improvement Plan adopted by COJ has money identified to restore those bulkheads and re-route the first three (I believe) of the drainage pipes causing obstructions from the Brooklyn section right as you come out of the Riverside Ave viaduct through the Mixon Town section of the waterway through the I-95 overpass.

Good to know. Every photo or video tour of the creek makes me feel a big pang of submechanophobia with all the pipes and supports basically blocking the creek's airspace from being easily navigable. Creeps me out to think about having to duck under those in order to pass, not to mention the eeriness of passing beneath the TU parking lot

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:28:27 PM »

Good to know. Every photo or video tour of the creek makes me feel a big pang of submechanophobia with all the pipes and supports basically blocking the creek's airspace from being easily navigable. Creeps me out to think about having to duck under those in order to pass, not to mention the eeriness of passing beneath the TU parking lot

Passing under Bay St (Hogans Creek) or the Times Union property/Riverside Ave (McCoys Creek) isn't too bad. The Times Union portion is snug, however the portion under Riverside Ave features a much higher ceiling and a pretty spectacular brick culver (which can be seen in the video).

Before the Courthouse parking deck was demolished, you could float under there during low tide, as well.  That spot had an incredibly low ceiling and was very dark... but it offered excellent fishing (particularly for some pretty large redfish).  There used to be an old Metro Jacksonville thread with pictures from underneath that parking deck... but the pictures have since been taken off the hosting site.

In late April (?), some surveyors were doing work on that particular site... I assume (based on what was being staked) for the Berkman marina and a potential marina at the old courthouse parking deck area. My understanding is that the Berkman marina, unused PAD site and the currently vacant retail section of the Berkman complex is being sold.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:31:28 PM by fieldafm »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
Reminds me, what the over under/ under in Vegas on the homeless camp at Park and McCoys getting cleared out before the end of the summer?  It's been there forever and turning into a makeshift trash landfill.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »
Reminds me, what the over under/ under in Vegas on the homeless camp at Park and McCoys getting cleared out before the end of the summer?  It's been there forever and turning into a makeshift trash landfill.

The entire creek has been a landfill going on decades now.  The St Johns Riverkeeper does monthly cleanups, if you feel like lending a hand. We actually installed trash cans attached to sunken posts in that encampment several years ago, but that's just a band-aid for the much larger problem across the entire McCoys watershed. I can assure you, that the homeless sleeping under that bridge account for perhaps 1-2% of the trash that winds up in the creek.

The area underneath that overpass is filled with tire scraps used for mulching purposes. Over the last 10 years, I know of at least 4 large fires started from drug use within that homeless encampment. Many of the buildings along Myrtle have also caught fire and are now lost forever due to the same issues.  That's a much larger problem tied to the homeless living there, than any litter problem emanating from that encampment.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 06:53:23 PM »
Both creeks need to be dredged, landscaped and restored. They have been neglected for wayyyyyy to long...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 11:14:41 PM »
If City officials are serious about investing in and improving the Northwest Quadrant and similar distressed neighborhoods, working on projects like the Emerald Trail and restoration of McCoys and Hogan Creeks is a must-do along with drainage, roads, other park projects and schools.  I have seen suburban ditches get more attention in the span of a few years than these creeks have gotten in a hundred years. 

The allocation of City dollars is far from equal and thus the civil discourse prevalent today.  Let's see if City leaders take just a fraction of the dollars used to benefit millionaires and billionaires (rich man's welfare) via the stadium, Lot J, the District, tearing down the Landing and Hart Bridge ramps, supporting the new FIS HQ's, adding underutilized toll lanes on I-295 and I-95 (a coming attraction), building 9B for Gate and the Davis family, doing a repeat with the Outer Beltway for a few more developers, subsidizing Amazon, dredging the port for users who will never pay fees for what benefits their business, failing to sell JEA so its proceeds can support even more developer giveaways, overrunning costs by double or more on a Courthouse monument to egotistical judges, lowering property taxes for the haves at the expense of the have-nots, etc. and invest these dollars in urban areas that haven't been touched much in over 100 years.