Author Topic: Perseverance Mars Rover  (Read 42902 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: Perseverance Mars Rover
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2021, 11:29:14 PM »
A look at over-achiever Ingenuity in this interesting article from Science News

The Ingenuity Mars helicopter was never supposed to last this long. NASA engineers built and tested the first self-powered aircraft to fly on another planet to answer a simple question: Could the helicopter fly at all? The goal was to take five flights in 30 Martian days or break the aircraft trying.

But more than 120 Martian days past that experiment window, Ingenuity is still flying and doing things no one ever expected. The helicopter, which took its first flight on April 19, is breaking its own records for distance and speed (SN: 4/19/21). It’s helping the Perseverance rover explore Jezero crater, near an ancient river delta that may hold signs of past Martian life (SN: 2/17/21). And Ingenuity is coping with changing seasons and navigating over rough terrain, two things that the flier wasn’t designed to do.

“It’s gotten into a good groove,” says Ingenuity’s original chief engineer Bob Balaram NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, Calif. “It’s in its element and having fun.”

Here’s what Ingenuity has been up to on Mars.
  https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ingenuity-helicopter-flying-mars-perseverance-nasa

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2022, 07:05:53 AM »
Year in review video...

https://youtu.be/aQhElFs5B48

Btw... Ingenuity will fly it's 19th flight by Friday...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2022, 07:58:18 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2022, 07:03:11 AM »
Perseverance's Route to the Delta

https://youtu.be/i-qzUxNo14o

NASA's Perseverance Mars rover is trying to cover more distance in a single month than any rover before it—and it's doing so using artificial intelligence. On the path ahead are sandpits, craters, and fields of sharp rocks that the rover will have to navigate around on its own. At the end of the 3-mile (5-kilometer) journey, which began March 14, 2022, Perseverance will reach an ancient river delta within Jezero Crater, where a lake existed billions of years ago.

This delta is one of the best locations on Mars for the rover to look for signs of past microscopic life. Using a drill on the end of its robotic arm and a complex sample collection system in its belly, Perseverance is collecting rock cores for return to Earth—the first part of the Mars Sample Return campaign.

"The delta is so important that we've actually decided to minimize science activities and focus on driving to get there more quickly," said Ken Farley of Caltech, Perseverance's project scientist. "We'll be taking lots of images of the delta during that drive. The closer we get, the more impressive those images will be."

The science team will be searching these images for the rocks they'll eventually want to study in closer detail using the instruments on Perseverance's arm. They'll also hunt for the best routes the rover can take to ascend the 130-foot-high (40-meter-high) delta.

But first, Perseverance needs to get there. The rover will do this by relying on its self-driving AutoNav system, which has already set impressive distance records. While all of NASA's Mars rovers have had self-driving abilities, Perseverance has the most advanced one yet. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2022, 07:01:04 AM »
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/status/372/making-tracks-to-the-delta/

BLOG | April 01, 2022
Making Tracks to the Delta
Written by Roger Wiens, Principal Investigator, SuperCam / Co-Investigator, SHERLOC instrument at LANL

Perseverance is in a drive campaign going faster than any previous rover. How fast, you may ask? Its actual speed is just under a tenth of a mile per hour, but it’s faster than its predecessors. It is making comparatively rapid progress by devoting several hours per day to driving on very smooth terrain. That has allowed Perseverance to break previous rovers’ records for the distance traveled in one day, now standing at 319.8 m, the distance it traveled on Sol 351. Curiosity made a number of drives over 100 meters, but none over 200 meters. That was due in part to rockier terrain. Like Perseverance, Opportunity, which landed way back in 2004, had some very smooth patches of terrain, allowing it to travel up to 228 meters in one day using solar power just a year after its landing. Overall, it’s not just the single-day drive that matters; it is more difficult to put together a continuous campaign. That requires enough energy, enough time in the day, and enough data volume to Earth to support next-day drive decisions. Perseverance seems to have all of that, allowing our team to put together a sustained campaign that has met and exceeded expectations. In one week it has traveled about 1.5 km, effectively a rate of one mile per week. As of Friday, March 25, 2022, which was Sol 389, Perseverance had driven a total of 6.6 km (4.1 miles). You can watch the progress of Perseverance here: https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/where-is-the-rover/

I must admit that I was much more pessimistic. Over the years I have seen many unexpected situations that bedeviled planetary rovers, so I tend to expect the unexpected, having a “wait-and-see” attitude toward new achievements. So I am truly excited to see Perseverance pull off this rapid drive campaign. In terms of overall distance, Perseverance has a lot left if it wants to catch up with Opportunity (45 km) or Curiosity (over 27 km). I believe Perseverance will eventually surpass these other rovers, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Not to be missed, Perseverance’s intrepid companion, Ingenuity’s longest single-day flight (#9) was 625 m, logged back in July 2021. That is about twice as far in one day as the rover has gone. Ingenuity’s flight log, showing all of its travels, is here: https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/#Flight-Log. Ingenuity is currently heading northwest across Seitah, aiming to rendezvous with Perseverance near the delta.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2022, 07:04:55 AM »
Ingenuity flight 26 photographs Perseverance landing gear... has now logged nearly 4 miles...

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/9177/nasas-mars-helicopter-spots-gear-that-helped-perseverance-rover-land/

Charles Hunter

« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2022, 08:46:45 AM »
Still amazing!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2022, 09:40:34 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

Charles Hunter

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2022, 10:11:21 AM »
awww ... so sad for the plucky little chopper

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2022, 07:31:21 AM »
Perseverance is over 7 miles traveled and heading into the river delta...

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/where-is-the-rover/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub