Author Topic: Perseverance Mars Rover  (Read 6729 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Perseverance Mars Rover
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2021, 07:25:13 AM »
A small piece of the Wright Flyer is attached to Ingenuity...

A tiny piece of the Wright brothers' history-making plane will take to the skies on Mars a few weeks from now, if all goes according to plan.

NASA's Mars Helicopter Ingenuity, which could lift off on the Red Planet as soon as April 8, bears a tiny swatch of fabric from one wing of Flyer 1, the plane that in December 1903 made the first powered flights on Earth, agency officials announced Tuesday (March 23).

The Wright brothers ushered in "aerial mobility as a dimension for us to be able to travel here on Earth," Bob Balaram, Ingenuity chief engineer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Southern California, said during a news conference Tuesday. "In the same way, we are hoping that Ingenuity also allows us to expand and open up aerial mobility on Mars."

The Flyer 1 swatch, which is about the size of a postage stamp, is attached to a small cable beneath Ingenuity's solar panel, Balaram added.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2021, 08:50:24 AM »
Not sure why, but they are pushing the date for the first flight to April 11... Meanwhile... here is an interesting interview with the woman lead engineer Mimi Aung...

https://astronomy.com/news/2021/04/the-inside-story-behind-the-historic-first-flight-on-mars
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2021, 08:00:47 AM »
Ingenuity has been dropped to the surface...

https://www.space.com/mars-helicopter-ingenuity-touches-down-martian-surface

The first helicopter on Mars is officially on Martian soil.

NASA's Mars helicopter Ingenuity touched down on the surface of the Red Planet after being dropped by its mother ship, the Perseverance rover, the space agency announced late Saturday (April 4). The helicopter's first flight is just over a week away.

"#MarsHelicopter touchdown confirmed! Its 293 million mile (471 million km) journey aboard @NASAPersevere ended with the final drop of 4 inches (10 cm) from the rover's belly to the surface of Mars today," officials with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California wrote in a Twitter announcement. "Next milestone? Survive the night."

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 08:03:59 AM by BridgeTroll »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2021, 07:17:22 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2021, 07:04:32 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2021, 08:18:45 AM »
Selfie... with Ingenuity  8)

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »
This maiden flight is going to be EPIC!!!  :-O

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2021, 01:25:32 PM »
This maiden flight is going to be EPIC!!!  :-O
Fingers crossed...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2021, 07:40:59 AM »
The rover has driven a short distance from the copter... can you spot it in this photo?   :)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2021, 09:00:00 AM »
Passed the spin test... flying Sunday.

Events leading up to the first flight test begin when the Perseverance rover, which serves as a communications base station for Ingenuity, receives that day’s instructions from Earth. Those commands will have traveled from mission controllers at JPL through NASA’s Deep Space Network to a receiving antenna aboard Perseverance. Parked at “Van Zyl Overlook,” some 215 feet (65 meters) away, the rover will transmit the commands to the helicopter about an hour later.

Then, at 10:53 p.m. EDT (7:53 p.m. PDT), Ingenuity will begin undergoing its myriad preflight checks. The helicopter will repeat the blade-wiggle test it performed three sols prior. If the algorithms running the guidance, navigation, and control systems deem the test results acceptable, they will turn on the inertial measurement unit (an electronic device that measures a vehicle’s orientation and rotation) and inclinometer (which measures slopes). If everything checks out, the helicopter will again adjust the pitch of its rotor blades, configuring them so they don’t produce lift during the early portion of the spin-up.

NASA’s Ingenuity helicopter does a slow spin test of its blades, on April 8, 2021, the 48th Martian day, or sol, of the mission. This image was captured by the Navigation Cameras on NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover.
Ingenuity Begins to Spin Its Blades: NASA’s Ingenuity helicopter does a slow spin test of its blades, on April 8, 2021, the 48th Martian day, or sol, of the mission. This image was captured by the Navigation Cameras on NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover. Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU. Full image and caption ›
The spin-up of the rotor blades will take about 12 seconds to go from 0 to 2,537 rpm, the optimal speed for the first flight. After a final systems check, the pitch of the rotor blades will be commanded to change yet again – this time so they can dig into those few molecules of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and argon available in the atmosphere near the Martian surface. Moments later, the first experimental flight test on another planet will begin.

“It should take us about six seconds to climb to our maximum height for this first flight,” said JPL’s Håvard Grip, the flight control lead for Ingenuity. “When we hit 10 feet, Ingenuity will go into a hover that should last – if all goes well – for about 30 seconds.”

While hovering, the helicopter’s navigation camera and laser altimeter will feed information into the navigation computer to ensure Ingenuity remains not only level, but in the middle of its 33-by-33-foot (10-by-10-meter) airfield – a patch of Martian real estate chosen for its flatness and lack of obstructions. Then, the Mars Helicopter will descend and touch back down on the surface of Jezero Crater, sending data back to Earth, via Perseverance, to confirm the flight.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »
Weather looks good for tomorrow's flight...

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/weather/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2021, 08:28:41 AM »
 :( Disappointed but not unexpected...

Based on data from the Ingenuity Mars helicopter that arrived late Friday night, NASA has chosen to reschedule the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter’s first experimental flight to no earlier than April 14.

During a high-speed spin test of the rotors on Friday, the command sequence controlling the test ended early due to a “watchdog” timer expiration. This occurred as it was trying to transition the flight computer from ‘Pre-Flight’ to ‘Flight’ mode. The helicopter is safe and healthy and communicated its full telemetry set to Earth.

The watchdog timer oversees the command sequence and alerts the system to any potential issues. It helps the system stay safe by not proceeding if an issue is observed and worked as planned.

The helicopter team is reviewing telemetry to diagnose and understand the issue. Following that, they will reschedule the full-speed test.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2021, 09:20:50 AM »
"Your connection has timed out. Please try again."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »
Software glitch requiring a reload... flight next week...

The Ingenuity team has identified a software solution for the command sequence issue identified on Sol 49 (April 9) during a planned high-speed spin-up test of the helicopter’s rotors. Over the weekend, the team considered and tested multiple potential solutions to this issue, concluding that minor modification and reinstallation of Ingenuity’s flight control software is the most robust path forward. This software update will modify the process by which the two flight controllers boot up, allowing the hardware and software to safely transition to the flight state. Modifications to the flight software are being independently reviewed and validated today and tomorrow in testbeds at JPL.

While the development of the new software change is straightforward, the process of validating it and completing its uplink to Ingenuity will take some time. A detailed timeline for rescheduling the high-speed spin-up test and first flight is still in process. The process of updating Ingenuity’s flight control software will follow established processes for validation with careful and deliberate steps to move the new software through the rover to the base station and then to the helicopter. Intermediate milestones include:

• Diagnose the issue and develop potential solutions
• Develop/validate and upload software
• Load flight software onto flight controllers
• Boot Ingenuity on new flight software

Once we have passed these milestones, we will prepare Ingenuity for its first flight, which will take several sols, or Mars days. Our best estimate of a targeted flight date is fluid right now, but we are working toward achieving these milestones and will set a flight date next week. We are confident in the team’s ability to work through this challenge and prepare for Ingenuity’s historic first controlled powered flight on another planet.

Ingenuity continues to be healthy on the surface on Mars. Critical functions such as power, communications, and thermal control are stable. It is not unexpected for a technology demonstration like this to encounter challenges that need to be worked in real time. The high-risk, high-reward approach we have taken to the first powered, controlled flight on another planet allows us to push the performance envelope in ways we could not with a mission designed to last for years such as Perseverance. In the meantime, while the Ingenuity team does its work, Perseverance will continue to do science with its suite of instruments and is gearing up for a test of the MOXIE technology demonstration.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2021, 06:35:25 AM »
The flight attempt happened a few hours ago... waiting for the data to see the results...