Author Topic: Could Carnival Leave Jax?  (Read 4241 times)

simms3

• Time has come
Re: Could Carnival Leave Jax?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »
My parents have gone on many cruises on many nice ships from the likes of Celebrity and Holland America, and my mother, being from a more European family, grew up taking ocean liners across the Atlantic for travel...

Jesus, how old is your mother?!?

My mother actually is European and travels by air like most people (and she turns 77 this year). Maybe she just wasn't fancy enough?

I do remember us taking a hydrofoil from France to England in the 70s, but I think that was a ferry.

My mother is from a Swedish/Norwegian family and almost exclusively traveled to Europe by ship.  She would go most summers with her mother and brother, and on occasion her father - ship travel for her was actually NOT necessarily luxurious as typically it would be on smaller ships like the Rotterdam and the North Atlantic is very very rough.  Yes, she grew up fairly well (her father, my grandfather, was a very successful surgeon in Chicago).  She would go on family ski trips to Switzerland, Austria, and the Dolomites and they would travel by ship, as well, bringing the car!  The irony is her mother, my grandmother, was a flight attendant for SAS, and that is how she ended up meeting my grandfather...via air travel and stopoffs.

Separately, she did a semester abroad, on a ship, completely circumnavigating the globe and stopping off at various ports along the way.  I'm not aware of similar programs today, but it was offered through her school, and this was in the early 70s.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Could Carnival Leave Jax?
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »
My parents have gone on many cruises on many nice ships from the likes of Celebrity and Holland America, and my mother, being from a more European family, grew up taking ocean liners across the Atlantic for travel...

Jesus, how old is your mother?!?

My mother actually is European and travels by air like most people (and she turns 77 this year). Maybe she just wasn't fancy enough?

I do remember us taking a hydrofoil from France to England in the 70s, but I think that was a ferry.

My mother is from a Swedish/Norwegian family and almost exclusively traveled to Europe by ship.  She would go most summers with her mother and brother, and on occasion her father - ship travel for her was actually NOT necessarily luxurious as typically it would be on smaller ships like the Rotterdam and the North Atlantic is very very rough.  Yes, she grew up fairly well (her father, my grandfather, was a very successful surgeon in Chicago).  She would go on family ski trips to Switzerland, Austria, and the Dolomites and they would travel by ship, as well, bringing the car!  The irony is her mother, my grandmother, was a flight attendant for SAS, and that is how she ended up meeting my grandfather...via air travel and stopoffs.

Separately, she did a semester abroad, on a ship, completely circumnavigating the globe and stopping off at various ports along the way.  I'm not aware of similar programs today, but it was offered through her school, and this was in the early 70s.

I think that Semester at Sea programme is still around - or it was still around in the early 2000s.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”