Author Topic: Restaurant and Rooftop Bar Planned for Old Fire Station  (Read 6935 times)

fsu813

Re: Restaurant and Rooftop Bar Planned for Old Fire Station
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2022, 06:44:59 PM »
If I'm her I'm selling. Screw the sunk cost fallacy, don't throw more good money after bad, especially when you're sinking more money just to demolish one of LaVilla's rare remaining historic buildings.

The fact that she isn't willing to sell to the (at least) two offers currently on the table is just more of this:

There is something here that doesn't pass the smell test.

The plot thickens .....

Captain Zissou

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2022, 01:08:29 PM »
I thought that Cowford actually spent closer to $10 million on their project, but regardless, isn't that building much larger than the one being discussed here? 
Cowford is larger, but not substantially and much of the difference is the enclosed space on the rooftop level.  It is however in a much more prominent location, which potentially justifies that level of renovation for a restaurant space.  This building is across from the courthouse, but it is otherwise an island that is disconnected from the heard of downtown.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 09:54:11 AM »
Capt. Sandy’s plans for LaVilla building tangled in history

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/capt-sandys-plans-for-lavilla-building-tangled-in-history
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2022, 10:32:22 AM »
Thanks for your work on this.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2022, 10:47:35 AM »
Thanks! I don't know what the ultimate outcome will be but there are people in the community working behind the scenes to give it a fighting chance at revival and reuse. Hoping Yawn will get help in selling the building and shifting her proposed concept to a riverfront site that makes more sense. Reading the article, she purchased the site unseen, so its clear the proper amount of due diligence has not taken place.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2022, 10:07:52 PM »
Thanks! I don't know what the ultimate outcome will be but there are people in the community working behind the scenes to give it a fighting chance at revival and reuse. Hoping Yawn will get help in selling the building and shifting her proposed concept to a riverfront site that makes more sense. Reading the article, she purchased the site unseen, so its clear the proper amount of due diligence has not taken place.
I think she may have been way over her head from the beginning, and "shot from the hip" regarding the purchase, plans and her vision for a possible reuse of this building leaving out "due diligence" as you've said. I agree, she needs to sell it, move on, and let's preserve this historic part of the LaVilla Neighborhood for something sensible and that would fit in. In the late 50's to early 60's my Mom lived at 626 West Adams Street in a red brick 2 story building next to a Bakery (its no longer there). When I would come visit during the summer, I could smell the pastries baking from my Mom's second story apartment. She's almost 85 now and I don't think she would remember what this building was.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!