Author Topic: 4 racial protests and riots from Jacksonville's past  (Read 1750 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
4 racial protests and riots from Jacksonville's past
« on: June 02, 2020, 09:09:32 AM »

The protests and riots taking place across the country following the murder of George Floyd are nothing new. Neither is the simple request by people of color to be treated equally and to be allowed an inclusive seat at the table of economic opportunity. Here are a few examples from Jacksonville’s past showing that the fight to suppress and eliminate institutional racism has and will always be part of the city’s legacy.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/4-racial-protests-and-riots-from-jacksonvilles-past/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Snaketoz

Re: 4 racial protests and riots from Jacksonville's past
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
I feel everyone should be treated equally.  The way we do things now needs to change.  I know the sheriff is against it, but we need a citizen's review board.  We need to have every officer equipped with a bodycam, and punish those who have several incidences where they for what ever reason, had their cameras off.  This would help get rid of bad cops.  I do however, feel that the vast majority of the time, police will be shown to have reason to take whatever means they take to control the situation.  I would like to see the "get on the ground" order for non felony stops stopped.  There are many times that shoot to kill is unnecessary.

sandyshoes

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »
Agree, Snaketoz.  I agree with Mr. Floyd's brother, who does not find looting necessary and asked the rioters why they were doing that if he wasn't even doing it in his own community.  Peaceful protestors are within their rights, and it sickened me to see what was done to this human being in the first place.  But laying waste to the land and to people's businesses that put food on their table is not going to solve anything, and is taking the focus off the real issue.  With all that adrenaline, and possibly some energy drinks and who knows what else...makes people crazy.  This is not how you get a point across.  I disagree with this coalition that is helping raise bail money for the rioters.  If you're gonna play high-stakes poker, you'd better be able to ante up, yourself.  There's all kinds of injustice in the world for all kinds of people and laying waste to your home or somebody else's is not productive. There are adult ways to handle this that speak louder than frenzy.  (If I had ever been anywhere near this out of control as a child, for example, my mother would have put an immediate stop to it if my father didn't get to me first).  As a remembrance to Mr. Floyd, get your point across with dignity and civility - which, I know is not how he died - but remember when others go low, you go high.  Let that be your memorial for him.  Lift up his family.  As always, I speak from my heart, with hope.  I hope I have expressed that in a way that is not offensive to anyone.  I know people are hurting.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 12:10:08 PM »
Agree, Snaketoz.  I agree with Mr. Floyd's brother, who does not find looting necessary and asked the rioters why they were doing that if he wasn't even doing it in his own community.  Peaceful protestors are within their rights, and it sickened me to see what was done to this human being in the first place.  But laying waste to the land and to people's businesses that put food on their table is not going to solve anything, and is taking the focus off the real issue.  With all that adrenaline, and possibly some energy drinks and who knows what else...makes people crazy.  This is not how you get a point across.  I disagree with this coalition that is helping raise bail money for the rioters.  If you're gonna play high-stakes poker, you'd better be able to ante up, yourself.  There's all kinds of injustice in the world for all kinds of people and laying waste to your home or somebody else's is not productive. There are adult ways to handle this that speak louder than frenzy.  (If I had ever been anywhere near this out of control as a child, for example, my mother would have put an immediate stop to it if my father didn't get to me first).  As a remembrance to Mr. Floyd, get your point across with dignity and civility - which, I know is not how he died - but remember when others go low, you go high.  Let that be your memorial for him.  Lift up his family.  As always, I speak from my heart, with hope.  I hope I have expressed that in a way that is not offensive to anyone.  I know people are hurting.

People riot when their football team wins the Super Bowl. So what should we reasonably expect them to do after years and years of this sort of thing - and after their attempts at peaceful protest have been ridiculed and punished?

I'm not endorsing rioting - but I *think* I can maybe sort of understand why frustration and anger might lead to riots. And yeah, there will always be bad actors who use civil unrest to forward their own agendas. And yeah, mob mentality leads to people doing bad things.

As a university educated, middle class white male, I think it's probably best that I do less talking and more listening right now. In any event, I try to remember that I shouldn't let things like rioting distract from the reasons why people are protesting and rioting.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sandyshoes

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
Adam Reply #3:  No argument here. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
I wouldn't be quick to loop protestors and those who are rioting and looting as the same. Not everyone we see on the streets is out there for the same reason. Viewing them as one of the same only takes away from the main issue.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »
I wouldn't be quick to loop protestors and those who are rioting and looting as the same. Not everyone we see on the streets is out there for the same reason. Viewing them as one of the same only takes away from the main issue.

By the sheriff's and mayor's own accounts they are not one and the same. According to Sheriff Williams, there were about 3,000 protesters at the peaceful afternoon demonstration, and about 400 who remained in the evening when things went down. Of those 400, "most of this group remained peaceful, but as the evening progressed, there were several instances of thrown rocks and bottles." This all tracks with what I saw when I was there that afternoon and night.

Sunday was different, apparently in part due to the arrival of folks from out of town. Williams says it was a small number. Weapons were found which was part of the reason for the curfew. Regardless of how it's sliced, the destruction was from a small fraction of the total number of people who were protesting.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200602/sheriff-more-than-70-arrested-at-least-5-officers-injured-in-weekend-unrest-following-jacksonville-protests
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JaxAvondale

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »
Great history lesson!

sandyshoes

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 11:24:26 AM »
BTW, the group doing this stuff appears to be a huge conglomerate - of different organizational names.  It's the same core group of people, but they go by ANTIFA, JCAC, Take Em Down Jax, and a few others by now.  Google their names and follow the leads to their other Facebook pages.  They even put names of the wrong group on one FB page.  Easy to track. I'm sure the FBI can track where they're staying, what bus companies and rental cars have done a brisk business in the past few days.  On talk radio yesterday, a caller asked why everything had to come down to race, why is it all black or all white.  When a group calls itself BLM, aren't they the ones setting that boundary?  We know there are peaceful protestors and then the violent "actors".  I would think the peaceful protestors would start telling the "actors" to get lost and stop undermining their cause.  (Peacefully, of course).  Also heard on same talk radio (WOKV) asking why there is no outrage with our regularly-occurring black on black violence. Why isn't that just as painful as it is when a non-black murders a black.  (Yes this case was horrendous, there was torture in my opinion).  Also there was another person kneeling on his back - you could not see him in the photos the media have been showing all week.  Mr. Floyd was not struggling to get up, I don't know what prompted the police to overdo their handling of this, but it looks like they were scared.  The woman who was so scared of a black man bird-watching in her neighborhood that she is practically strangling her own beloved dog when she yanks it back by the leash while she nervously dials the police was obviously scared.  Everybody needs to stop being scared and over-reacting.  Whatever race you are, if the police tell you to stop, STOP.  Hopefully they won't try to hurt you like they did the 2 white ladies they told to stand up after the police pushed them down.  These paid actors need to be run out of town,  the true voices of our own community need to be heard, and people need to listen to each other.  I'll stop right here. 

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 11:54:32 AM »
BTW, the group doing this stuff appears to be a huge conglomerate - of different organizational names.  It's the same core group of people, but they go by ANTIFA, JCAC, Take Em Down Jax, and a few others by now.  Google their names and follow the leads to their other Facebook pages.  They even put names of the wrong group on one FB page.  Easy to track. I'm sure the FBI can track where they're staying, what bus companies and rental cars have done a brisk business in the past few days.  On talk radio yesterday, a caller asked why everything had to come down to race, why is it all black or all white.  When a group calls itself BLM, aren't they the ones setting that boundary?  We know there are peaceful protestors and then the violent "actors".  I would think the peaceful protestors would start telling the "actors" to get lost and stop undermining their cause.  (Peacefully, of course).  Also heard on same talk radio (WOKV) asking why there is no outrage with our regularly-occurring black on black violence. Why isn't that just as painful as it is when a non-black murders a black.  (Yes this case was horrendous, there was torture in my opinion).  Also there was another person kneeling on his back - you could not see him in the photos the media have been showing all week.  Mr. Floyd was not struggling to get up, I don't know what prompted the police to overdo their handling of this, but it looks like they were scared.  The woman who was so scared of a black man bird-watching in her neighborhood that she is practically strangling her own beloved dog when she yanks it back by the leash while she nervously dials the police was obviously scared.  Everybody needs to stop being scared and over-reacting.  Whatever race you are, if the police tell you to stop, STOP.  Hopefully they won't try to hurt you like they did the 2 white ladies they told to stand up after the police pushed them down.  These paid actors need to be run out of town,  the true voices of our own community need to be heard, and people need to listen to each other.  I'll stop right here.

As a university educated, middle class white male, I think it's probably best that I do less talking and more listening right now. In any event, I try to remember that I shouldn't let things like rioting distract from the reasons why people are protesting and rioting.

Adam Reply #3:  No argument here.

With all due respect, maybe you should take your own advice.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »
On talk radio yesterday, a caller asked why everything had to come down to race, why is it all black or all white.  When a group calls itself BLM, aren't they the ones setting that boundary?

Because from a systemic perspective, BL don't matter and they haven't throughout our country's history. There would be no need for any of this if there were no institutional racism.

We know there are peaceful protestors and then the violent "actors".  I would think the peaceful protestors would start telling the "actors" to get lost and stop undermining their cause.  (Peacefully, of course).

This has been happening. A lot has been captured on tv the last few days. It's hard to miss it, unless one isn't looking for it.

Also heard on same talk radio (WOKV) asking why there is no outrage with our regularly-occurring black on black violence. Why isn't that just as painful as it is when a non-black murders a black.

This is a red herring that takes away from the real issue at hand. Nevertheless, you have people outraged about black on black, white on white, etc. violence. Those who make these points aren't investing their time in truly looking at the issue of institutional oppression or how our policies directly create built environments that stimulate the violence we complain about. For those in my industry (urban planning), we definitely have to take a look and better understand how our decisions play a role on social outcomes.

(Yes this case was horrendous, there was torture in my opinion).  Also there was another person kneeling on his back - you could not see him in the photos the media have been showing all week.  Mr. Floyd was not struggling to get up, I don't know what prompted the police to overdo their handling of this, but it looks like they were scared. The woman who was so scared of a black man bird-watching in her neighborhood that she is practically strangling her own beloved dog when she yanks it back by the leash while she nervously dials the police was obviously scared.  Everybody needs to stop being scared and over-reacting. Whatever race you are, if the police tell you to stop, STOP. Hopefully they won't try to hurt you like they did the 2 white ladies they told to stand up after the police pushed them down.

This would be great, and if we reach this point (which includes changing a lot more than how police tend to respond to incidents involving black males), there would be no need for groups like BLM.

These paid actors need to be run out of town,  the true voices of our own community need to be heard, and people need to listen to each other.  I'll stop right here.

Definitely agree that there are groups, both conservative and liberal, doing things to cause chaos and take focus away from the core issue. There are also opportunist out there for themsevles to take advantage of the current environment (ex. looters). We aren't robots, so it's irrational to put everyone out in the street in the same boat. However, I do think a large part of the community (as fractured as it is) is being heard. The real question will be if we as a whole, are listening or really care about ending systemic racism. If so, November could be transformational. If not, things will get visibly worse before they get better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:14:01 PM by thelakelander »

sandyshoes

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »
Field #9:  The quote in the middle is not my post.  I am not a college educated white male.
Lake:  I have not seen local footage of "our" peaceful protestors in Jax shutting down the actors.  Can you share it please?
Everyone on this forum is expressing their frustration with the events of the day.  I am no different.  I'm just not going out to loot a store or march around town looking to start violence.  I can use words, just as all of you, on this forum.  Mine just seem to inflame some sensitive types. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 06:23:13 PM »
Expecting issues in San Marco tonight?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 06:45:27 PM »
Lake:  I have not seen local footage of "our" peaceful protestors in Jax shutting down the actors.  Can you share it please?

Here's a story mentioning peaceful protestors denouncing others.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/06/02/demonstrators-return-to-duval-county-courthouse-for-peaceful-protest/

Everyone on this forum is expressing their frustration with the events of the day.  I am no different.

I'm not expressing my frustration with the events of the day. From the black male perspective, nothing is new, other than more people are now realizing that systemic and institutional racism is actually a thing. From that perspective I have hope that there will finally be change for the future.

I'm just not going out to loot a store or march around town looking to start violence.

I don't loot or start violence either. However, I'm happy to see more people visibily peaceful protesting for equality.

I can use words, just as all of you, on this forum.  Mine just seem to inflame some sensitive types.

Words and opinions are fine. This is just a forum where one should expect others will challenge many assumptions and stereotypes.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 08:50:41 PM »
Expecting issues in San Marco tonight?

I expect as many issues as David Dorn references.