Author Topic: Jacksonville Charter Revision Commission recommends an Urban Core Dev. Authority  (Read 293 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
The 2019-20 Jacksonville Charter Revision Commission released its final report May 29.

The commission presents its recommendations for amendments to the City Charter to the City Council and the Duval Legislative Delegation.

The report recommends that Council, through an amendment to the charter, create an Urban Core Development Authority to develop and implement a master plan and to coordinate public and private resources to address the poverty, socioeconomic and other disparities within the designated area.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jacksonville-charter-revision-commission-recommends-an-urban-core-development-authority

Steve

• The Jaxson
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think in concept it's good that the committee recognizes the need for help in those neighborhoods. In practice I'm not sure this is the best way forward.

The boundaries are basically north of Downtown, I-10, I-295, Trout River, and the St John's River. It does not include Downtown or Riverside/Avondale, nor anything south of the River. I don't have an issue with the boundaries as I do think those are the areas that could certainly need some attention.

But, the Downtown Investment Authority (and it's child org, the DDRB) haven't exactly been a panacea for downtown's issues. In some cases, the DIA (and it's predecessor agencies) have contributed to downtown's problems. Plus, in some cases they don't have the power to stop them. Case in point the JTA clown cars - better public transit would certainly help downtown, but if you had $350M to spend on public transit I'm confident the DIA CEO (off the record if not on the record) would struggle to defend the decision, but even if she came out 100% against it, could she stop it?

I guess I need to understand more here.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I do like having a master plan for the urban core communities. However, given Jax's past record at this stuff, I'd be fearful that an Urban Core Development Authority would just make things worse.....and spend a lot of tax money in the process.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
I think it’s a good idea. The problem is always going to be new administrations coming in and changing things and meddling. You can reduce that by stripping the mayor’s ability, never exercised before Curry, to remove their predecessor’s entire board, and give the council buy in on picking a head. The vast majority of the current DIA’s bad decisions were in the period where Brian Hughes was in charge.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
If Curry or Hughes are involved, I'm afraid that it will become a dumpster fire.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

The boundary to the West seems too generous.

The more focused the coverage area, the more effective.