Author Topic: City Water  (Read 510 times)

sandyshoes

City Water
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »
Is anyone else noticing this with their city water - different soaps/detergents no longer lather well or hold suds; takes more effort and soap to handle grease; the cold water itself tastes like ca-ca.  Literally, it's bad.  We've tried a variety of soaps as we have to take what's left on the shelves which is not what we would normally buy, but even when we get a good brand it doesn't hold suds.  Ditto bath soap and hand soap.  Shampoo and laundry detergents are unaffected.  Just curious - I don't smell any chlorine smell coming from the water, so that's not a problem this time.  I wonder if they are adding other things to the water during the pandemic for some reason.  Just wondering if anyone else noticed this, I don't want to bother JEA to test the water unless there's a real need.  I only drink filtered drinking water, and tasting this from the kitchen tap was a shocker.  It really was vile.  (Yes, we keep the screen in the aerator clean).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:29:00 PM by sandyshoes »

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
Re: City Water
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 03:19:32 PM »
Sounds like you need a water softener.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 03:36:37 PM »
I wouldn't make anything of the tap water taste.  If you're not used to it it's going to be different.

Have you been in the same place a long time?  And before this all the soap stuff was different than now?   Could it be that you're just seeing it cuz you're paying more attention?  For example, most folks just put detergent in the washer, close the lid and never look in to see how it's looking mid load. 

sandyshoes

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »
Yup, been here a long time.  I notice the dish soap b/c I do not have a dishwasher.  Shampoo is fine, but bath soap and hand soaps not so much;  laundry det. is fine, I opened machine to check and there are suds.  Who knows, maybe the soaps aren't up to snuff anymore these days.  I was just wondering. 

Snaketoz

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 03:21:29 PM »
I think many of today's detergents are low sudsing, especially the HE branded ones.  Suds has little to do with cleaning and the lower suds help reduce the smell in front loading washers.  Don't know if you have one, but they can have a musty smell.  Hand soaps vary a lot and many are now made in Asia.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:24:00 PM by Snaketoz »