Author Topic: JAX potential new host of 2020 GOP convention  (Read 7802 times)

blizz01

Re: JAX potential new host of 2020 GOP convention
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 08:42:16 AM »
The media is wishing for Jax no doubt. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »
What media? Local or national?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 09:07:20 AM »
While I'd rather this not here, the arena really isn't the issue - VyStar holds between 15k and 16k for an event like this, which is actually not that far off:

- Spectrum (Charlotte) is 19k
 - Bridgestone (Nashville) is 19k
 - T-Mobile (Vegas) is 20k
 - MSG (New York) is 20k

I mean, Jax would struggle with a lot of other things, but really the Arena isn't the big issue here - hotels are.

blizz01

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 09:11:12 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking national.  Brought back Super Bowls memories / attention.

vicupstate

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 09:34:38 AM »
I mean, Jax would struggle with a lot of other things, but really the Arena isn't the big issue here - hotels are.

Cruise ships !!
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 09:52:50 AM »
Under normal circumstances, I'd very much welcome the economic impact that the Republican Convention would bring to Jacksonville. Hotels, restaurants, event planners, florists, furniture rental companies, catering companies, event venues, etc are hurting big time.  If you put party affiliation aside, its hard to argue against the economic benefit of such a high profile event.

But unless a normal circumstance-type convention could happen where thousands of delegates could safely book hotel rooms and spend money in local restaurants... then why should the City of Jacksonville spend tens of millions of dollars to host a scaled back convention that will not have anywhere near the economic impact of a full-blown convention?  That's the bigger question. There has to be a benefit that outweighs the cost. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:05:07 AM by fieldafm »

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »
While I'd rather this not here, the arena really isn't the issue - VyStar holds between 15k and 16k for an event like this, which is actually not that far off:

- MSG (New York) is 20k

Vegas and New York are so far out of Jacksonville's league in facility capacity, so that's apples/oranges. Even though Charlotte and Nashville have only slightly larger arenas (that both have a TON more luxury seating options), you are forgetting to compare context. Both arenas are either right across the street (Nashville) from the convention center w/ a large outdoor area/flex space in between, or a block away (Charlotte) with another large outdoor area/flex space another block away. They both are also surrounded by multiple hotels that combined offer more rooms than the Omni/Hyatt (located effectively a car ride away from Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena).

The convention brings just as many ancillary groups that hold break-out events during the week leading up to and the week of the events that you see televised.  You need more meeting space than just the arena itself.  Can Jax accommodate that? Yes, but you're talking then about spreading out things all over the city (including Amelia Island and St Johns County) and not just in one compact area.

I think it would be awesome to host a large scale event like the Republican National Convention (*see post above), but Jax is a distant, distant cousin in terms of facilities to the cities mentioned.

*a part of me thinks that Curry believes that TIAA Bank Field would be the venue of choice. Its no coincidence that all these emergency bills are being filed to fix a slew of issues at the stadium over the next two months. I mean, up until a couple of weeks ago there were going to be two large concerts at the stadium in July and August before NFL games were to be played.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:17:48 AM by fieldafm »

blizz01

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 10:40:33 AM »
That big lawn though....

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »

- MSG (New York) is 20k

Vegas and New York are so far out of Jacksonville's league in facility capacity, so that's apples/oranges. Even though Charlotte and Nashville have only slightly larger arenas (that both have a TON more luxury seating options), you are forgetting to compare context. Both arenas are either right across the street (Nashville) from the convention center w/ a large outdoor area/flex space in between, or a block away (Charlotte) with another large outdoor area/flex space another block away. They both are also surrounded by multiple hotels that combined offer more rooms than the Omni/Hyatt (located effectively a car ride away from Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena).

The convention brings just as many ancillary groups that hold break-out events during the week leading up to and the week of the events that you see televised.  You need more meeting space than just the arena itself.  Can Jax accommodate that? Yes, but you're talking then about spreading out things all over the city (including Amelia Island and St Johns County) and not just in one compact area.

I think it would be awesome to host a large scale event like the Republican National Convention (*see post above), but Jax is a distant, distant cousin in terms of facilities to the cities mentioned.

*a part of me thinks that Curry believes that TIAA Bank Field would be the venue of choice. Its no coincidence that all these emergency bills are being filed to fix a slew of issues at the stadium over the next two months. I mean, up until a couple of weeks ago there were going to be two large concerts at the stadium in July and August before NFL games were to be played.

Not arguing any of that. I was simply referring to the Arenas. Like you said, the Arenas are already part of it - all of these cities have larger convention centers and other facilities that would also need to serve.

Personally I think it doesn't matter as I can't see them picking Jacksonville - unless literally nobody else wants to host this thing.

sandyshoes

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 11:00:34 AM »
It would be great, if we weren't currently having a pandemic, hurricane season, protests in the street...not to mention feeding these people.  The Landing and all its restaurants (ok, what was left of its restaurants) is all gone now.  We couldn't possibly scare up enough food trucks.

tufsu1

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »

- MSG (New York) is 20k

Yeah but I think the Donald wants a stadium show for his nomination acceptance, like Obama had. I'm thinking covered stadiums have the best shot to allow a large crowd with some distancing - my money ($.02) is on Jerry's World!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:43:01 PM by tufsu1 »

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2020, 03:06:43 PM »
As much as hosting this convention could be a big positive for the city I’m having my doubts on in this would really have a positive economic benefit overall. There is no way that a convention held in Jacksonville or anywhere else for that matter will have as many people coming as if this will be held in Charlotte as planned. Many have booked plans in advance and had hotel rooms near the venue may reconsider given that they have to fly and flight connections here which were not stellar in the past will be more of a clusterfuck due to current flight and seat availability reductions from the virus. And if they were to rebook their room there’s a good chance it will be way outside the center of the action where all the co-mingling and wheeling&dealing are taking place. Most of these delegates that would normally stay the vast majority of the convention are here for state and national party committee meetings which given the changes and restrictions they will most likely do more of these remotely like most everything else in this day and age.

Then you also have the demonstrators and counter-demonstrators coming from all over that are always parts of gatherings like this. My belief is that these protests will be peaceful and under control but how many of these conservative-minded delegates will have concerns about their safety? Would their families have similar concerns for their well-being and their health with some of them having to take an addition flight to get here and back? With today’s heighted tensions and ratcheted rhetoric?

But most of all we need to consider the logistics of planning an event like this – security, organizing the venues, directing and controlling crowds, accommodating big-time sponsors, housing press and media, etc. not to mention possible COVID-19 health emergencies. You’re asking a city in two months time to make plans that have taken cities like Milwaukee and Charlotte well over a year to organize. Certainly can be done but definitely not as smoothly or efficiently (and if certain municipalities’ experience with previous Trump rallies are an example don’t hold your breath on being promptly reimbursed for any special contingencies or sudden plan changes bound to pop up).

To sum up, would this all be worth it? 

Snaketoz

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2020, 04:09:11 PM »
I hope it goes elsewhere.  To me it would just serve as a reward to our city for having morons like Curry, Rutherford, our city council, failing schools, rightwing fundamentalist birthers, and MAGA cretins.  Let's just keep monster trucks, rasslin', and has-been musical groups.  For once Jacksonville leaders, don't waste time and a lot of tax dollars to allow others to use us once again as a pawn to get they way.  Worry about our schools, infrastructure, and improving our quality of life.  We already have 500,000 yahoos in town that have made our town what it is, don't import 50,000 more.

I-10east

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2020, 09:21:55 AM »
One side always trying to stop and censor the other (with events, banks, alternative social media etc). They say "get you own" but always interfere and try to sabotage...If Jax gets the GOP convention, the usual shadow DNC backed hacktivist will try to thwart it.  Remind me which side is 'fascist' again???

vicupstate

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
  Remind me which side is 'fascist' again???

The one that is using the military against peaceful U.S. citizens for a crass Presidential photo op. The same ones that think they can dictate to state and local officials that they are exempt from state/local regulations. In case you still don't understand, the GOP.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln