Author Topic: JAX potential new host of 2020 GOP convention  (Read 10713 times)

JaxJersey-licious

JAX potential new host of 2020 GOP convention
« on: May 27, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »
So this is intriguing. Although the odds are slim this will even happen wouldn’t this be one of those “game changing” opportunities civic leaders love to hype up to encourage more investment on convention-appealing infrastructure?

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/05/26/florida-makes-a-play-for-the-republican-convention-1286834

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: JAX potential new host of 2020 GOP convention
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »
I wouldn't oppose this. Not sure I understand the objections, other than the risk of travelers spreading COVID which is an issue with any gathering of this kind.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »
According to a story on NPR says the RNC is expecting 50,000 to attend the Convention in Charlotte. I assume they would expect the same number where-ever they meet. Can Jax accommodate 50,000 "high roller" type guests?  How does the Veterans Arena compare in size to the Charlotte venue? 
NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/16/857415236/gop-officials-say-theyre-expecting-50-000-in-charlotte-for-republican-convention

MandarinNole

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:30:12 PM »
If you've ever watched a national convention or a Trump rally for that matter, if there are 50K people in attendance, a relatively small percentage of those would qualify as high rollers.

That said, I don't know if its a great idea to be inviting 50k people from around the country, many of which are actively defying the COVID guidelines to pack a crowded arena.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 12:35:04 PM »
Other than the stadium, where could they pack 50k in attendance? Certainly not at the arena.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »
Other than the stadium, where could they pack 50k in attendance? Certainly not at the arena.

When Obama accepted his convention's nomination they held his acceptance speech in 2008 at Invesco Field in Denver so there is precedent. And you know how Trump loves his big rallies.

Plus I seriously doubt 50,000 delegates and hangers on from around the country will make it here if conditions don't improve significantly. The narrative that all conservative diehards would gladly endanger their or loved ones health for this convention is a tad overblown and the city shouldn't have a problem handling this especially if it will be scaled back as far as meetings and conferences.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
There were at least two or three states mentioned as potential alternatives. I know Atlanta was one. What were the other cities?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 02:43:12 PM »
I think DeSatan also mentioned Miami and Orlando as possible Florida sites.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »
I think DeSatan also mentioned Miami and Orlando as possible Florida sites.

Desatan???   ::) :o
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

MandarinNole

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 06:52:04 PM »

When Obama accepted his convention's nomination they held his acceptance speech in 2008 at Invesco Field in Denver so there is precedent. And you know how Trump loves his big rallies.

Plus I seriously doubt 50,000 delegates and hangers on from around the country will make it here if conditions don't improve significantly. The narrative that all conservative diehards would gladly endanger their or loved ones health for this convention is a tad overblown and the city shouldn't have a problem handling this especially if it will be scaled back as far as meetings and conferences.

The problem is a lot of people don't think this is real or think it's the flu, and many of those people are conservatives, or at the very least, true believers of the Donald.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 07:12:53 PM »
The problem is a lot of people don't think this is real or think it's the flu, and many of those people are conservatives, or at the very least, true believers of the Donald.

Just wondering if up to 50,000 die-hard Trump supporters left his convention with a parting souvenir of COVID-19 which they then unknowingly shared during the 2 week incubation period or because they were asymptomatic with their families, friends, coworkers and other Trump supporters upon returning home, how that would play with his base?

And, would Trump rebrand it from the "Wuhan virus" to the "Trump virus"?  He loves putting his name on anything "big."  8)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:09:44 PM by jaxlongtimer »

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »
The Libertarian party just held their convention online. If anyone would have been insisting on the right to assemble I'm sure it would be them. I see a hybrid online convention eventually happening.

blizz01

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 11:11:52 PM »
Well it looks like it's officially up for grabs.  Interesting that, according to CNN, contractually some level of business must still occur in Charlotte(?).  Vegas and Nashville are getting tossed around in conversation too. Just wonder how well a 15k seat arena in Jax and room limitations would suffice. Coincidentally, we now have a 3-4 additional (Norwegian) cruise ships docked here - at least for the short term.  Doubt there'd be much appetite for that approach again though- especially given the circumstances.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:21:26 PM by blizz01 »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 08:00:54 AM »
No!  No!  A million times no!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 08:08:11 AM »
This is a pipe dream. Too small of an arena, not enough hotel rooms, during the 60th anniversary of Ax Handle Saturday....