Author Topic: 14 Historic Downtown Sites Unprotected From Demolition  (Read 449 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
14 Historic Downtown Sites Unprotected From Demolition
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »

In honor of National Historic Preservation Month, here are 14 historic sites in downtown that can be demolished with little to no public notification, participation, or review.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/14-historic-downtown-sites-unprotected-from-demolition/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: 14 Historic Downtown Sites Unprotected From Demolition
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:49:24 AM »
Great article. I hope all of these can be saved.
Back in my HS Band (Marching and Concert, not Rock!) we would go to Paulus to get sheet music for ensemble competitions. Who knows, I could have been in there with rock greats!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 06:15:20 PM »
If we don't get leadership in that's "for" saving buildings such as these, they will all probably be razed and demolished, adding more empty lots that will sit there until we all are incinerated by nuclear fire. Just kidding. But I just don't see NOTHING, ANYTHING happening until we get good solid leadership in our city government that is FOR downtown Jacksonville.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 07:46:05 PM »
Time for a bit of tactical urbanism. Stay tuned ;)
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Des

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
Time for a bit of tactical urbanism. Stay tuned ;)

I've been in (I think) 324 N Broad St relatively recently, the middle of the three buildings, and it's literally falling apart. I would not recommend exploring that building... it may collapse on you. The roof has caved in, the floorboards are soft, and you can poke a finger through most of the brick.

If there were ever a proposal for that site I wouldn't be surprised if tearing it down was the first option.

618 West Adams is pretty nice inside and very salvageable, it would be a very nice place for a lawyers office. There was something about it that's scaring off potential investors, though. I can't remember what it was.

618 West Forsyth Street is still beautiful inside. It would be a shame if they ever tore that down. I think it would be nice if someone built similar sized and era-appropriate buildings on either side of it. There used to be a wood parking garage on the right side of it if you were facing the front. There was a really cold winter one year and some homeless folks started a fire inside of it and burned the structure down.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:31:38 PM by Des »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 12:31:46 PM »
It's in a situation where you'd preserve the facade and rebuild new behind it. That's a step to consider before outright demo that's pretty foreign in Jax but well used in other communities.

Des

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:53:44 PM »
I think it's in such a state of deterioration that it would be wiser to rebuild the facade to match the existing. You could apply something to reseal the bricks to try and prevent further decay, but if you were going to spend 4-5m on rebuilding the structure, would you really want to keep a crumbling, unsafe facade?

In the case of the Cowford Chophouse, at least they managed to repurpose probably 80% of the street-facing facade during their reconstruction. I don't believe these two buildings are in the same situation.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 01:19:11 PM »
I just walked by it the other day. The facade actually looks fine and salvageable. The roof is another story. A good similar reuse example is on the corner of 11th and Market in Springfield. That brick building's roof had completely collapsed and was in that condition for years. A developer purchased it (probably 10 years ago), kept the four walls, did select demo, put on a new roof and built the interior of the space out.

Cowford Chophouse is another extreme example but that one was seriously expensive. I don't 324 Broad is anywhere near that cost.