Author Topic: The Story of Milligan's Beefy Burgers  (Read 381 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The Story of Milligan's Beefy Burgers
« on: May 25, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »

In honor of National Hamburger Month, Modern Cities and the Jaxson take a look back at a long lost Mid-Century Jacksonville institution: Milligan's Beefy Burgers

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-story-of-milligans-beefy-burgers/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Snaketoz

Re: The Story of Milligan's Beefy Burgers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
Their slogan was, "shakes and pies and golden fries, beefy burgers (buy 'em by the dozen). Meet me at Milligan's, they're always open."  Had hundreds of those gut grenades.  We had an old rumor going around that if you had a lot of alcohol, eat some Milligan burgers after the bars closed so you wouldn't have a hangover.  Didn't work.

Snaketoz

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
BTW lake, thanks so much for posting such great stories of our past.  I had forgotten many until I see your posts here.  I appreciate the stroll down memory lane.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 02:03:59 PM »
Their slogan was, "shakes and pies and golden fries, beefy burgers (buy 'em by the dozen). Meet me at Milligan's, they're always open."  Had hundreds of those gut grenades.  We had an old rumor going around that if you had a lot of alcohol, eat some Milligan burgers after the bars closed so you wouldn't have a hangover.  Didn't work.

Lol, thanks for sharing the gut grenade trip down memory lane!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sandyshoes

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »
I can't understand how Krystal burgers have hung around and Milligan's folded.  You got a thick, beefy, seasoned slab o'meat on that little steamed bun - not some pallid strip of whatever a Krystal is made of.  Had read somewhere years ago that there were two quite elderly siblings living in/near Green Cove Springs.  Would love to know where the recipe is, and if it's still under trademark.  If they aren't going to profit from it, and the family is not interested it would be great if they would share it.  I'd really rather some heir would reopen and make those little gems again.  Enjoyed the article!

Snaketoz

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 04:19:47 PM »
I can't understand how Krystal burgers have hung around and Milligan's folded.  You got a thick, beefy, seasoned slab o'meat on that little steamed bun - not some pallid strip of whatever a Krystal is made of.  Had read somewhere years ago that there were two quite elderly siblings living in/near Green Cove Springs.  Would love to know where the recipe is, and if it's still under trademark.  If they aren't going to profit from it, and the family is not interested it would be great if they would share it.  I'd really rather some heir would reopen and make those little gems again.  Enjoyed the article!
I remember the Milligan "burger" and the Krystal "burger" to be much the same.  Neither are/were beefy.  Only seasoning was the onions cooked with the mystery meat.  Milligan's was pretty much a rip-off of the Krystal.