Author Topic: Jaxsonville + Consolidation  (Read 701 times)

bl8jaxnative

Jaxsonville + Consolidation
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/for-jake-janet-lets-fulfill-consolidations-promise/

I didn't see a thread for the well written and thoughtful new piece from Mr. Hand on consolidation, so I'll get a thread started.

And I'm going to toss it here in "The Burbs" because IMHO that's the core issue with consolidation.  Any improvements he saw in the core were the result of overall growing wealth, not from consolidation.

What it fails to recognize is the need for local government for local problems.    Some sort of a half-assed action to address the problem is perfectly fine.  The most important part of that for a community is the need to feel heard.

Consolidation was a social experiment from the 60s.  It's not something we should've ever taken too seriously.  And it's not something we should be holding onto today.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Jaxsonville + Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »
^You beat us too it! We'll use this as the discussion thread:

For Jake & Janet, let's fulfill Consolidation's promise

In this guest editorial, Chris Hand, former Chief of Staff at the consolidated City of Jacksonville and Press Secretary for U.S. Senator Bob Graham, argues that Jacksonville can honor the legacies of the recently departed Jake Godbold and Janet Owens by finally making good on the promises of Consolidation.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/for-jake-janet-lets-fulfill-consolidations-promise/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Papa33

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »
Thank you thejaxsonmag for publishing.  Don't know who else would have published this now that the city's alternative newspaper has ceased production.  Would the TU without editing for size and content, if at all?  This website is very important to me and want to thank those who keep it going.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
Well Written. Interestingly, I really didn't appreciate Chris Hand as Chief of Staff, largely because he served under Alvin Brown (who I thought despite some positive things did an overall subpar job as mayor).

Personally, I think Consolidation can work and I think it's better than what's going on in Atlanta, where unincorporated suburbs of Atlanta are forming their own governments (Sandy Springs and Brookhaven as two examples). But, it doesn't handle well the balance between suburbs and downtown. Most cities don't have the abundance of vacant land within their city limits that Jacksonville does, and because traffic is really not that bad here businesses can open outside of downtown pretty easily.

Additionally, it doesn't handle the dynamic of density vs. geography. For example, COJ had to open a new fire station near Nocatee. This isn't because there were that many people out there that it called for a new fire station. It's because fire rescue has a SLA to respond within X number of minutes (makes perfect sense for what they do). You can also find examples of this with things like Parks, Police, Utilities, and other Public Works.

I still think Consolidation can work. But those things need to be fixed. Hand's editorial was a good high level overview of the concept of what should be done but without the details (something COJ has struggled with).

This whole pandemic opens up the opportunity for some infrastructure spending and planning....if done right. It can't be a boondoggle, but there are plenty of genuine needs to deal with. The sewer lines are a great example - replacing all of the septic tanks. I think the challenge here is getting city council to endorse a spending plan is a challenge because 90% of the city has sewer lines and people's natural feeling is, "what's in it for me." This principle is why the Better Jax plan passed....Delaney planned it well in that most people could connect with at least a couple things in the plan, so it resonated with them. Now, this isn't the time to try to to add another 1/2 cent sales tax for a "BJP 2" - I don't envy the challenge DCPS has with this right now (side note I think that's why Curry "endorsed" it....he doesn't think it will pass). But, I do think there are ways to get creative with funding and business support (something else COJ has done a bad job with), to put together some infrastructure plans for sewers, parks, etc.

JEA leading the charge on infrastructure help might also help with their reputation.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
Additionally, it doesn't handle the dynamic of density vs. geography. For example, COJ had to open a new fire station near Nocatee. This isn't because there were that many people out there that it called for a new fire station. It's because fire rescue has a SLA to respond within X number of minutes (makes perfect sense for what they do). You can also find examples of this with things like Parks, Police, Utilities, and other Public Works.

Maybe this is a crazy thought, but I've been thinking for a while that the county line between Duval and St. Johns could really use some rethinking, if such a thing was possible. That whole area around Durbin Creek/9B/Nocatee is really weird from a jurisdiction standpoint.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »
My Father In Law was the City Of Jacksonville Chief General Counsel upon Consolidation. ( And following tenure with Governor Leroy Collins in position later defined as Lieutenant Governor. And I, a South Florida Native, would end up engaging with Bob Graham on a number of Growth Management/ Environmental fronts...)

We discussed Consolidation.
What was the brilliance, Who were the individuals, the moves that would bring the case for Consolidation to the voters at that time?
Judge’s response was not characteristic; nothing notable as to Brilliant leader ,references to Consolidate efforts spanning back many years prior.

Consolidation efforts spanning back decades prior to the 60’s rarely noted.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:11:38 PM by Florida Power And Light »

vicupstate

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:49:12 AM »
^^ Many cities have looked at consolidation and more than a few have even voted on it.  Obviously very few have come into being. That Jacksonville had considered Consolidation prior to actually doing it is not that significant. It was a confluence of events in the 60's that brought it about. The prior government setup was not well suited to modern governing and was not capable of resolving the issues and inefficiencies it faced.       
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:41:00 AM »
^^ Many cities have looked at consolidation and more than a few have even voted on it.  Obviously very few have come into being. That Jacksonville had considered Consolidation prior to actually doing it is not that significant. It was a confluence of events in the 60's that brought it about. The prior government setup was not well suited to modern governing and was not capable of resolving the issues and inefficiencies it faced.       

The rampant corruption in the old government, exposed by WJXT just prior to the consolidation vote, likely also was a big factor in the favorable vote.