Author Topic: 14 exceptional women with Jacksonville ties  (Read 459 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
14 exceptional women with Jacksonville ties
« on: April 02, 2020, 08:19:02 AM »

For the last day of Women's History Month, we pay homage to the contributions of 14 exceptional women in history with Jacksonville ties.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/14-exceptional-women-with-jacksonville-ties/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: 14 exceptional women with Jacksonville ties
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:51 AM »
Cool piece.

I'm glad we finally named something here after Coleman. I'd like to see the airport do something as well given this was the site of her last flight. The Rental Car road at O'Hare in Chicago is Bessie Coleman Drive (which is an unfortunate road to be her namesake as the entire Rental Car experience at O'Hare is completely miserable).

Any specific buildings of Dozier's that we may know?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »
The Old Federal Reserve Bank on Hogan and the St. Philips Episcopal Church at Union & Pearl are two in downtown.

Here are a few more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/henrietta-dozier-jacksonvilles-first-female-architect/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »
Somehow I didn't remember that article.

Some friends of mine had the idea of turning 1819 Goodwin Street into a small restaurant/bar on the river. I thought it was cool but I feel like the neighborhood would have lost their minds.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 11:46:40 PM »
Here is another you should add to your list:  Elaine L. Konigsburg.

From Wikipedia: 
Elaine Lobl Konigsburg (February 10, 1930 – April 19, 2013) was an American writer and illustrator of children's books and young adult fiction. She is one of six writers to win two Newbery Medals, the venerable American Library Association award for the year's "most distinguished contribution to American children's literature."[1]

Konigsburg submitted her first two manuscripts to editor Jean Karl at Atheneum Publishers in 1966, and both were published in 1967: Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth and From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.[2][3] They made her the only person to be Newbery Medal winner and one of the runners-up in one year.[a] She won again for The View from Saturday in 1997, 29 years later, the longest span between two Newberys awarded to one author.[1]

For her contribution as a children's writer Konigsburg was U.S. nominee in 2006 for the biennial, international Hans Christian Andersen Award, the highest international recognition available to creators of children's books.[4

After graduating, Elaine married David, who was then a graduate student in psychology. She started graduate school in chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh (1952 to 1954[6]) but they moved to Jacksonville, Florida after he attained his doctorate. She worked as a science teacher at Bartram School for Girls until 1955; became the mother of three children, Paul, Laurie, and Ross (1955 to 1959[6]); began painting at adult education after two children; and planned for the time they would all be in school.[9]...

...Konigsburg was a longtime resident of Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._L._Konigsburg