Author Topic: Daily’s may open Downtown gas station and convenience store  (Read 1413 times)

aubureck

I'm assuming this would mean another demolition of a downtown building (618 W Forsyth St)

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dailys-may-open-downtown-gas-station-and-convenience-store

JEA is reviewing a service availability request for First Coast Energy to develop a Daily’s gas station and convenience store Downtown.

The March 25 request identifies the 1.4-acre block bounded by Bay, Broad, Forsyth and Jefferson streets.

A former bank drive-thru at 60 N. Broad St. built in 1976 and a three-story building,  a former nightclub, at 618 W. Forsyth St. built in 1914 are on the site.

LoopNet.com states the nightclub structure is under contract.

Civil engineer England-Thims & Miller asks JEA to review the availability of utilities for the site, which is owned by Mark L. Rosenberg.

Rosenberg, a lawyer, referred questions to First Coast Energy.

First Coast Energy said it didn't have ownership of property in that area.

"We do not own any site downtown so I am not in a position to comment on development plans," said First Coast Energy Chief Operating Officer John Rodriguez in an email.

JEA is reviewing the availability of electric, water, sewer and reuse services.

Jacksonville-based First Coast Energy owns and operates 37 Daily’s stores across the state, according to its website. They sell Shell gasoline.

Daily’s also has developed its Dash fast-casual cafe concept that sells breakfast and lunch sandwiches, soups, salads, desserts and specialty coffee drinks.
The Urban Planner

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Daily’s may open Downtown gas station and convenience store
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 07:32:13 AM »
It's hard to keep up with the level of demolitions for proposals that don't necessary fit with the vision of a vibrant, unique pedestrian friendly downtown core. These types of things will keep happening until we put some meat behind the importance of preservation and adaptive reuse, in the form of public policy.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Peter Griffin

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
The site is a complete  eyesore other than the mural on the side of the building. Nearly anything would be a better use of that site.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 08:31:46 AM »
The site is a complete  eyesore other than the mural on the side of the building. Nearly anything would be a better use of that site.

I completely disagree. That building should most definitely be preserved.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

JPalmer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 08:38:46 AM »
I agree that it's harder to argue for saving the one rundown building that remains on this site. 

Had all the surrounding buildings not already been torn down, demanding reuse has a much stronger argument.  These remaining historical buildings that are more disparately placed are going to be harder to save.  Doesn't mean they can't be, but it was clear as long as the fire station remained in Brooklyn the longer there was just going to be an empty building surrounded by new development.

Lostwave

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 08:48:17 AM »
Why the F do we need a gas station downtown.  That is the opposite of what this city needs.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »
This is a larger site than their station at Atlantic/Kings and the 3 story building only takes up about 10% of the space.  If they don't plan to put in a car wash, it should be easy for them to preserve the 3 story building and put it to use.  After what they put up on Hendricks and the Gate station fiasco in Brooklyn I'm not very optimistic, but if DDRB rolls over on this I think we should just dissolve the organization.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »
I'm not sure the DDRB has any control over if the building is demolished or not. The current property owner could apply for a demolition permit today and raze ASAP with little public notification, regardless of if Daily's buys the property or not.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 09:19:33 AM »
Here is an image of the building:

Also the post we made on our IG account about its history:

Twenty million immigrants arrived in the United States between 1890 and 1920. These early immigrant entrepreneurs tended to reside near their businesses or places of employment. While the Florida East Coast Railroad was one of the most energetic promoters of enticing immigrants to Florida, #Jacksonville’s early #Greek settlers arrived from Southern Greece and #Turkey as sailors from ships that docked along the riverfront.

In the case of the city’s early Greek population, the majority favored occupations in food-related enterprises such as restaurants and fruit markets. Anchored by wholesale grocery, produce, and fruit markets, a compact corridor near West Bay and Broad Streets quickly became a preferred location for the immigrant community.

A sign of the city’s growing Greek population was the establishment of the Greek and Syrian Club by A.K. Carazar in 1915 which was once located at 618 West Forsyth Street. This part of #dtjax's history was largely erased with the razing of LaVilla during the 1990s. During the early 2000s, it was the home of Club Kartouche. Kartouche was a nightclub known for Latin, rave, R&B and hip-hop featuring the likes of Ludacris and Trick Daddy during Super Bowl XXXIX. Now one of the last buildings associated with #Jax's lost early Greek community could be on the chopping block. A Daily's gas station and convenience store is now proposed for the entire block.

vicupstate

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »
Going strictly off of Google Maps, the building looks pretty sound. Four store fronts and 8-12 apartments would be pretty do-able. Unfortunately, it would be an island unto itself unless something was built in the same block.

Regardless, a gas station adds nothing of value and I am surprised that one would even be allowed by the zoning code. An entire block consumed for a gas station is about as bad as it gets.   

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 09:22:42 AM »
I'm not sure the DDRB has any control over if the building is demolished or not. The current property owner could apply for a demolition permit today and raze ASAP with little public notification, regardless of if Daily's buys the property or not.
I think that's the problem right there. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:44 AM »
Given that they likely DON'T need to take down the building, this could be a good opportunity to do an urban gas station. They do exist, just not here.  I don't think anyone will be upset about the demolition of the bank drive-through, so do a cool urban gas station and I'm fine with it.

tufsu1

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 09:54:55 AM »
demolition would be harder if it already is or gets landmarked - same as the First Baptist discussion

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 09:58:29 PM »
First, having a suburban-style gas station prominently located at an equally prominent gateway to downtown would be the ultimate monument to Jacksonville's history of demolishing both its historic character and its downtown feel.

And, its a perfect tribute to our infatuation with the automobile-centric mentality of downtown planning.  Not to be lost is the vibe sent by it being in the shadows of the mass transit Skyway and JTA's new intermodal transit terminal and being along side a bus rapid transit corridor.  Oh, the irony!

At least they should cleverly design the site to put the convenience store portion inside the ground floor of the historic structure and lease out the upper floors.  If the gas station mimicked the size of some Manhattan style stations (see image below), there could even be adequate on-site parking for the tenants.  There certainly doesn't need to be a dozen pump islands for Downtown.  How about just 2 or 3.  The real money is in the convenience store as I understand it anyway.  The pumps are just a hook to get you to pull in.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 10:39:47 PM »

This would work as well.