Author Topic: City boat ramps and kayak launches  (Read 1725 times)

SPRNole

City boat ramps and kayak launches
« on: March 25, 2020, 09:05:23 AM »
Are these still open?

I know beaches and state parks are closed.

Thanks

Charles Hunter

Re: City boat ramps and kayak launches
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »
From the COJ Corona Virus FAQ page:
Parks, Community Centers, Senior Centers and Libraries

Public parks should be considered closed and residents are discouraged from visiting.
    All senior centers and community centers are closed until further notice.
    All libraries are closed indefinitely.

Are the boat ramps closed?
The closure DOES NOT include boat ramps.

Are the tennis facilities closed?
Tennis facilities in all public parks are closed.
Is the Equestrian Center closed?
The Equestrian Center is closed.

I don't know if kayak launches are "boat ramps" (open), or part of "parks" (closed).

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 12:42:43 PM »
Most boat rsmpd are still open.  Only a few aren't and they are within gated parks.

As far as Kayak launches I'm not sure about but from what I've seen, if it's not in a gated park it's still open.  The city isn't actually enforcing any of these park closures.

SPRNole

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:17:28 PM »
Thanks.  I feel like that is a way I can get out, do something fun and not get within 20 feet of another human being.   :)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 04:45:52 PM »
From the COJ Corona Virus FAQ page:
Parks, Community Centers, Senior Centers and Libraries

Public parks should be considered closed and residents are discouraged from visiting.
    All senior centers and community centers are closed until further notice.
    All libraries are closed indefinitely.

Are the boat ramps closed?
The closure DOES NOT include boat ramps.

Are the tennis facilities closed?
Tennis facilities in all public parks are closed.
Is the Equestrian Center closed?
The Equestrian Center is closed.

I don't know if kayak launches are "boat ramps" (open), or part of "parks" (closed).

I  went for a 10 mile bike ride today at the Equestrian center. They have small barricades announcing that it's closed but I parked in the swim center parking lot and biked in. Saw 2 deer... a turkey... a raccoon and about a million butterflies... all creatures were 100% on board with social distancing. Never saw another human.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Peter Griffin

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 07:40:52 AM »
Those equestrian center trails are awesome, seeing those old hazardous waste storage bunkers from when the property was a part of the airfield are so cool.

Have you explored off the paved trail at all? You kinda need a good mountain bike to do so, but those haul road trails can go miles up to the north and take you all the way to Pope Duval park on Otis Road. Haven't taken it that far myself because the trails are not mapped well, but I think it's possible based on the maps.

I think there's a plan to pave a trail all the way there eventually. That whole area is so mysterious (and not well documented) despite being a public park

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 08:08:53 AM »
Those equestrian center trails are awesome, seeing those old hazardous waste storage bunkers from when the property was a part of the airfield are so cool.

Those bunkers weren't so much for traditional "hazmat"....

MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 09:19:36 AM »
I can't help but think the planning to open up the Emerald Necklace is going to be put on hold for the foreseeable future.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 10:11:48 AM »

Have you explored off the paved trail at all? You kinda need a good mountain bike to do so, but those haul road trails can go miles up to the north and take you all the way to Pope Duval park on Otis Road. Haven't taken it that far myself because the trails are not mapped well, but I think it's possible based on the maps.

I think there's a plan to pave a trail all the way there eventually. That whole area is so mysterious (and not well documented) despite being a public park
Oh yeah... I have ridden all the way to Pope Duval... incredible trails. I have explored most of the unpaved trails but I always discover something new. The wildlife and solitude once you get back in there is pretty remarkable...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Peter Griffin

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »

Those bunkers weren't so much for traditional "hazmat"....

Yup, I'm aware of the nuclear history of the site. I haven't made my way to the big row of bunkers just west of Waterworks, which I presume were for smaller arms storage. From the history I've read the big nuclear weapons bunkers have been demolished, or may still exist deep within the current JSO vehicle training center (the former Yellow Water Site). The hazardous waste storage bunkers are easily accessible just off the paved bicycle trail north of the equestrian center, but based on their location I don't believe they contained nukes.

The old naval base is HUGE! The main Cecil Field site south of Normandy is impressive, too. The disc golf course is really cool on the moonscape

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »
Forgot to mention wild berries... raspberries...blackberries... and blueberries.  I probably have 20 or so spots where I pick.

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 10:42:44 PM »
Executive order passed today to try to stop fools from rafting up and partying on sandbars.  All rec boats must stay 50' apart and no more than 10 passengers aboard no matter the size of the vessel.  Don't think this applies to paddle power though  ;D

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »
I'm out at Fort George now and there's probably 100+ boats out on the sandbars.  There's 4 FDWC boats patrolling from one end to the other.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

acme54321

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 06:45:35 PM »
We went to Goat Island today, less crowded than last weekend.  Hitting the Fort early tomorrow to claim one of the beaches on Little Talbot our own!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 11:45:43 AM »
Took a 10 mile ride today at the Equestrian center... Apparently my secret is out... Saw more humans today than ever...