Author Topic: The New Blanding Blvd Amazon Distribution Center  (Read 1691 times)

I-10east

The New Blanding Blvd Amazon Distribution Center
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:00:45 PM »
Details from JBJ came out about the new Amazon Distribution Center (former KMart on Blanding) that's currently under construction.

Construction can now begin on Amazon's distribution center in Jacksonville's Westside.

Bryan Builders LLC was issued a $12 million permit Thursday for work on Amazon's almost 112,000-square-foot facility at 4645 Blanding Boulevard, a former Kmart that is now vacant.

The permit does not name Amazon but says work includes a tenant build-out for "a package delivery service," and Amazon was named in a rezoning application submitted to the city last November for the same address.

That rezoning application said the facility would be reconfigured into an "e-commerce distribution, fulfillment and delivery center" within 150 days of permits being issued.

Amazon already has a significant presence in Jacksonville, including a delivery facility, a 1 million-square-foot Westside distribution center and an 855,000-square-foot Northside distribution center.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2020/03/20/12m-permit-issued-for-amazon-distribution-center.html

aubreykole

Re: The New Blanding Blvd Amazon Distribution Center
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:21:30 PM »
Wow! Seems like a good repurpose for that building and could provide some decent jobs for that neighborhood. Anyone else surprised by the size and location for a distro center though? I know next to nothing about logistics but maybe having a smaller center right in the city makes sense for regularly ordered items.

FlaBoy

Re: The New Blanding Blvd Amazon Distribution Center
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:06:32 AM »
Wow! Seems like a good repurpose for that building and could provide some decent jobs for that neighborhood. Anyone else surprised by the size and location for a distro center though? I know next to nothing about logistics but maybe having a smaller center right in the city makes sense for regularly ordered items.

I think it is part of the plan to provide orders same day or even in a couple hours.