Author Topic: Jax and Coronavirus  (Read 39359 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: Jax and Coronavirus
« Reply #510 on: July 12, 2020, 10:00:50 PM »
Haven’t been tested, as thankfully I’ve had a healthy 2020 thus far and have been really good about wearing a mask and social distancing. I did do an antibody test, which also came back negative.

I do personally know 10+ people here in Jax who have tested positive however. Most in their late 20s/early 30s, being reckless at the beach bars and house parties.

I haven't had any symptoms, I only know of one person, via Facebook, that has tested positive (he's in Charleston, SC and had common cold-like symptoms) so I haven't had the test myself.

Ken_FSU, I'm curious about the people you know personally:  What kind of symptoms, if any, have they had?

Thankfully, as far as I know, they’ve all been either asymptomatic positives (tested after being at the beach bars or after have been in contact with a known positive) or mild (fatigue and sweats lasting 3-5 days). But again, almost all young, active, and healthy prior, which isn’t really the demo the disease is ravaging the strongest.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #511 on: July 12, 2020, 10:19:47 PM »
"I tested negative for the virus and antibody when I got tested last month which was a bit surprising given that I was in Miami, London, and Madrid for multiple days in February."

Did you wear a mask during that time period? I am under the impression Europe was taking this far more seriously, especially in February, than the US. Trump was pretty much ignoring it at that time.

Yes sir! I had a mask on while in the airport and on my various flights. My first trip was on January 29th from Miami to Madrid and I assumed that I would have been one of the few ppl with a mask on but most young people on the plane had a face covering.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #512 on: July 12, 2020, 10:54:14 PM »
When I flew from Miami early last month, everyone had masks. When we arrived to JAX, very few had masks and they were running up and hugging people right after we got past security. No wonder the virus is out of control in this area.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

lundgren

« Reply #513 on: July 13, 2020, 06:54:07 AM »
When I flew from Miami early last month, everyone had masks. When we arrived to JAX, very few had masks and they were running up and hugging people right after we got past security. No wonder the virus is out of control in this area.
I think it's impossible to take the virus under control without a vaccine whether you make everyone wear masks or not.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #514 on: July 13, 2020, 08:16:59 AM »

Hmmmm....Miami is a hotspot ...The obvious conclusion is that masks don’t matter. Thanks Lake...getting sick of them. I am out of the mask business!

twojacks

« Reply #515 on: July 13, 2020, 08:43:57 AM »
And I thought you were educated.  Ever hear of fomite?  It's the virus particles that land on surfaces.  That's a possible route of transmission.  If you concluded masks don't work/help, that's a preconceived unfounded conclusion. Lake didn't say there was a definite link at that airport and covid.  I think his point was social distancing and masks are not routinely used in Florida.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #516 on: July 13, 2020, 08:51:19 AM »
And I thought you were educated.  Ever hear of fomite?  It's the virus particles that land on surfaces.  That's a possible route of transmission.  If you concluded masks don't work/help, that's a preconceived unfounded conclusion. Lake didn't say there was a definite link at that airport and covid.  I think his point was social distancing and masks are not routinely used in Florida.

Ever hear of humor?

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #517 on: July 13, 2020, 08:53:14 AM »
The public, at the urging of the media and politicans, have gone bat-crap crazy.  There are less that 1400 active cases in the entire US.  I'm not changing anything about my life that I have control over.  Was supposed to go to a concert tonight but that got canceled and then was headed to the St Pete Grand Prix tomorrow, but that is also cancelled.  So guess we'll just go garage sales tomorrow.  Flying to Chicago on Monday for work.

You ok? Been offline for a month.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #518 on: July 13, 2020, 09:05:55 AM »
A quote I like, "I wear a mask because I care about you, you wear a mask if you care about me. When I see someone without a mask, I assume they do not care about other people."

Had a son-in-law test positive and go into self-quarantine. His family got tested, and all negative. On the other side of the family, tested negative after another in-law was exposed.  It took more than a week for 3 of those tests to come back. The spouse of the infected person finally gave up and went to a place that can give test results in less than 24 hours.

This is a major failure of the US response to this pandemic.  Testing sites in all of the hot spots are reporting shortages of testing supplies. Tests are routinely taking more than a week to come back. I heard that the Jacksonville testing sites were considering having a special line for people with symptoms, so they can ask the lab to expedite their results (so it only takes 4 or 5 days?).  We could have invoked the Defense Production Act to make sure we had sufficient supplies (I've heard PPE are getting in short supply, too). But, the Republican Administration declared the disease will go away on its own, so there is no need to do anything special.  Sadly, the Coronavirus doesn't listen to Presidential [sic] tweets.

MusicMan

« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »
Sad story available through your favorite search engine:

Richard "Rick" Rose....... made fun of Covid 19. Now he's dead.

https://www.insider.com/ohio-man-veteran-died-coronavirus-mask-facebook-posts-2020-7
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:40:20 PM by MusicMan »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »
Sad story available through your favorite search engine:

Richard "Rick" Rose....... made fun of Covid 19. Now he's dead.

https://www.insider.com/ohio-man-veteran-died-coronavirus-mask-facebook-posts-2020-7

The only sad part of the story is the part where he infected unknown numbers of innocent people...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »
I bet it was fomites.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #523 on: July 13, 2020, 04:19:43 PM »
I bet it was fomites.

Humor?

Just trying to show off my covid schoolin’.

sandyshoes

« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2020, 04:03:56 PM »
Sunday afternoon, Beach Blvd. Whataburger lobby - nobody but the employees wearing masks.