Author Topic: Jax and Coronavirus  (Read 39332 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Jax and Coronavirus
« Reply #495 on: July 06, 2020, 07:53:04 AM »
My quick summary of the pandemic.

4. The media is so partisan that the quality of reporting we get is worse than third world countries

I can't comment on how partisan the US media is, but my wife and I finally got sick of watching BBC every morning as it was nothing more than fluff pieces about old guys walking around to raise money for the NHS and stuff like that.

Anyway, we have been watching Al Jazeera and France 24 for a over a month now and actually know more about what is going on around the world (including back home - Florida features regularly). And they don't talk to you like you're an idiot. So win-win.

I don't know about France 24 but I visit Al Jazeera just to see their "slant " or version of current events. Their articles go through the same type of editing or bias as the other "mainstream " sources...

I think as long as people are involved, there will always be some level of 'bias' (for lack of a better word). And as long as people are watching or reading the news, they will find 'bias' where they want to. I wouldn't argue that Al-Jazeera is any more or less biased than BBC Breakfast - but they do offer better news coverage.

Al Jazeera article on pubs reopening...

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/drunk-people-socially-distance-england-police-200705141856041.html
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #496 on: July 06, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »

4. The media is so partisan that the quality of reporting we get is worse than third world countries

I can't comment on how partisan the US media is, but my wife and I finally got sick of watching BBC every morning as it was nothing more than fluff pieces about old guys walking around to raise money for the NHS and stuff like that.

Anyway, we have been watching Al Jazeera and France 24 for a over a month now and actually know more about what is going on around the world (including back home - Florida features regularly). And they don't talk to you like you're an idiot. So win-win.

I don't know about France 24 but I visit Al Jazeera just to see their "slant " or version of current events. Their articles go through the same type of editing or bias as the other "mainstream " sources...

I think as long as people are involved, there will always be some level of 'bias' (for lack of a better word). And as long as people are watching or reading the news, they will find 'bias' where they want to. I wouldn't argue that Al-Jazeera is any more or less biased than BBC Breakfast - but they do offer better news coverage.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/drunk-people-socially-distance-england-police-200705141856041.html

I've seen the word "carnage" used on more than on occasion to describe the scenes around the country on Saturday. Apparently Soho was particularly bad.

None of this is as bad as it was on the seaside at Bournemouth a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

MusicMan

« Reply #497 on: July 06, 2020, 05:07:24 PM »
I read that the fire caused by rioters in downtown Jax was actually a police fired smoke canister that landed under a JSO cruiser.  Evidently there is video to back it up.  Anybody seen this?

JaxAvondale

« Reply #498 on: July 06, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »

I've seen the word "carnage" used on more than on occasion to describe the scenes around the country on Saturday. Apparently Soho was particularly bad.

None of this is as bad as it was on the seaside at Bournemouth a couple of weeks ago.

Goodness! That is bad! “I can’t watch Bournemouth’s matches in person so let’s go seaside!”

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #499 on: July 06, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »
I read that the fire caused by rioters in downtown Jax was actually a police fired smoke canister that landed under a JSO cruiser.  Evidently there is video to back it up.  Anybody seen this?

No, and I doubt it's true. There's a video of the car on fire and a person continues to throw things into the fire. There were also multiple squad cars damaged.

https://twitter.com/SAVESTRYKER/status/1266874250830516229?s=20
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

MusicMan

« Reply #500 on: July 06, 2020, 10:01:35 PM »
Hmmmmmm.....in the very first frames of that video it looks like a canister burning underneath the left rear wheel/quarter panel area.....

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #501 on: July 07, 2020, 03:53:30 AM »

Goodness! That is bad! “I can’t watch Bournemouth’s matches in person so let’s go seaside!”

TBF, I doubt most of those people were from Bournemouth (in fact, given the town's demographics, I'd expect a lot of the residents to be shielding in place). Or even Dorset, for that matter. Apparently three men (all in their 20s and from London) were stabbed on the beach, too.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Papa33

« Reply #502 on: July 07, 2020, 04:35:46 PM »
Ok.  So we have the Florida Commissioner of Education and Betsy Devos, the Secretary of Education, both "demanding" and "mandating" that  schools be open "fully" (not part time, not modified) in the fall semester.  Anyone else see the contradiction and inconsistency here?  This demand and mandate comes from a State and Federal government that refused to issue statewide/nationwide orders reasoning that it was best left up to local communities.  Unbelievable. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #503 on: July 12, 2020, 02:51:39 PM »
So with the virus re spiking has anyone been tested?  Anyone positive... I still don't know anyone directly who has been diagnosed... given the lines for testing I have not been motivated to get tested...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

JaxAvondale

« Reply #504 on: July 12, 2020, 02:58:06 PM »
So with the virus re spiking has anyone been tested?  Anyone positive... I still don't know anyone directly who has been diagnosed... given the lines for testing I have not been motivated to get tested...

I tested negative for the virus and antibody when I got tested last month which was a bit surprising given that I was in Miami, London, and Madrid for multiple days in February.

I do know many ppl who have tested positive with one person that my parents know who passed away in her 40s.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #505 on: July 12, 2020, 03:58:31 PM »

I have not been tested or had any symptoms but I was in Miami last month and have worked in my Central Florida office a few times since March. I'm actually planning to visit my parents and a few family members in Tampa later this week. With that in mind, I know several people who have had covid nationwide. One of my Next City Vanguard friends in NYC actually gave daily text updates on her condition, sharing words of advice on what to take and do if others on the chain came down with it. Also one of my classmate's aunts passed from it in Broward after attending an in person church service.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #506 on: July 12, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »

I tested negative on the 26th after getting tested on the 20th. Took about two and a half hours in line in St. Augustine to get the test. Seems I just had a bad cold. No one in my family has gotten it, but some of my parents' friends (work in the medical field) caught it from their patients. I'm pretty worried about my sister, who's working in an assisted living facility right now.

MusicMan

« Reply #507 on: July 12, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »
"I tested negative for the virus and antibody when I got tested last month which was a bit surprising given that I was in Miami, London, and Madrid for multiple days in February."

Did you wear a mask during that time period? I am under the impression Europe was taking this far more seriously, especially in February, than the US. Trump was pretty much ignoring it at that time.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #508 on: July 12, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »
Haven’t been tested, as thankfully I’ve had a healthy 2020 thus far and have been really good about wearing a mask and social distancing. I did do an antibody test, which also came back negative.

I do personally know 10+ people here in Jax who have tested positive however. Most in their late 20s/early 30s, being reckless at the beach bars and house parties.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #509 on: July 12, 2020, 08:28:51 PM »
Haven’t been tested, as thankfully I’ve had a healthy 2020 thus far and have been really good about wearing a mask and social distancing. I did do an antibody test, which also came back negative.

I do personally know 10+ people here in Jax who have tested positive however. Most in their late 20s/early 30s, being reckless at the beach bars and house parties.

I haven't had any symptoms, I only know of one person, via Facebook, that has tested positive (he's in Charleston, SC and had common cold-like symptoms) so I haven't had the test myself.

Ken_FSU, I'm curious about the people you know personally:  What kind of symptoms, if any, have they had?
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams