Author Topic: Jax and Coronavirus  (Read 39357 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Jax and Coronavirus
« Reply #480 on: July 04, 2020, 02:00:13 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/us/politics/republican-convention-jacksonville-charlotte.html

I hope someone is watching the dollars on this.

Unfortunately, we'll very likely take a bath on this.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #481 on: July 04, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/us/politics/republican-convention-jacksonville-charlotte.html

I hope someone is watching the dollars on this.

Unfortunately, we'll very likely take a bath on this.

I was trying to figure out how Curry was going to pay for all his pet projects in normal times given the City's crumbling infrastructure, high murder rate, diminished social services, schools in need of maintenance (which he said he would cover!), the JEA fiasco (nuclear plant funding up next), etc.  Now, he will have even less to allocate in this current reality of reduced revenue and increased COVID expenses. 

Yet, we continue to spend on Lot J, the stadium and other billionaire Khan projects, needlessly demolish historic and other buildings and ramps, throw money at an "innovation corridor" of limited possibilities, give money to the port to forever destroy our river's ecosystem while not being reasonably assured of its economic benefits and now obligate ourselves for major expenses to hold the RNC Convention which more and more is looking like another "black eye" fiasco on par with JEA and the faux pension solution.  Curry is keeping pace with Trump in inflicting severe and long lasting damage on his domain.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #482 on: July 04, 2020, 02:48:00 PM »
I don't know who is endorsing simply wearing a mask and going about your day like nothing's happening.

Just reading the room.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #483 on: July 04, 2020, 06:55:35 PM »
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:57:25 PM by JeffreyS »
Lenny Smash

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #484 on: July 05, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »
I guess it's just me, but I'm feeling a certain way reading these threads as well as other social medias.

I haven't worn a mask this entire time until recently when the mandate was thrown down.  I still honestly don't believe they help - it may reduce airborne transmission, but everyone is still touching things and pulling their masks down and taking their masks off in and out of the car... IMO it's a complete false sense of security.

But even though I chose not to wear a mask, I also limited exposure to people in general.  Limited Starbucks trips.  Limited Publix runs and our 'restaurant' adventures have been limited to off-hours or takeout.  Going to any 'event' is a bad idea.  The fact that it's an 'event' pretty much means that SD isn't a real option.

I guess my long-winded point is that I'm getting the feeling from the mask crowd that 'everything is normal because I have a mask on' is just as boneheaded as the non-mask crowd that feel their liberties are being trampled.   

Wear a mask or don't wear a mask, I don't really care.  Just limit exposure, observe a larger radius of personal space and remember that the virus transmits in more ways than through the air.

Just started wearing a mask now?!? Well, I guess we just found ground zero for the spike in cases.

Unbelievable attitude. I mean All experts say we should...hold on a second....confirms its an odd day on the calendar....checks moon cycle...Feels which way the wind is blowing...yup, now, all experts say we should be wearing masks!

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #485 on: July 05, 2020, 12:21:04 PM »

Just started wearing a mask now?!? Well, I guess we just found ground zero for the spike in cases.

Unbelievable attitude. I mean All experts say we should...hold on a second....confirms its an odd day on the calendar....checks moon cycle...Feels which way the wind is blowing...yup, now, all experts say we should be wearing masks!

I guess you overlooked the part that I don't get out much.

I've been working from home for the last 8 years - so there's no office to go to. 

Ground Zero for sure - at my house.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #486 on: July 05, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »

I've been working from home for the last 8 years - so there's no office to go to. 

I've worn a mask three times. Twice to a local framing shop (had to get some pictures framed) and once on the bus ride home (said pictures were too big to carry home once they were framed). If they make it a rule, I'll do it. But I don't because it fogs up my glasses.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Charles Hunter

« Reply #487 on: July 05, 2020, 01:00:28 PM »
um ... it is a rule in Jacksonville

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #488 on: July 05, 2020, 01:19:57 PM »

And after the mandate, I've put it on whenever in a public area.  It's been a total of 4 times now.
-Douglas Adams

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #489 on: July 05, 2020, 02:09:39 PM »

um...but it isn't a rule where I live.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #490 on: July 05, 2020, 02:37:23 PM »

Did you just “ fact check “ an over the top joke?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #491 on: July 05, 2020, 02:55:09 PM »
Did you just “ fact check “ an over the top joke?

FLU

-Douglas Adams

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #493 on: July 05, 2020, 11:53:47 PM »

Adam White

• Facebook