Author Topic: Jax and Coronavirus  (Read 39207 times)

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
Re: Jax and Coronavirus
« Reply #465 on: July 02, 2020, 05:03:44 PM »
Curry is probably secretly hoping it is cancelled.

I doubt it, he's in too deep.

MusicMan

« Reply #466 on: July 03, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »
"I think it will be cancelled. Who would even want to go to that?"

I think in Jax it would be well attended.  In the past 24 hours my wife, who has worn a mask in public since March, has been scolded by non mask wearing (I assume Trump supporters) at both the Starbucks in San Marco Sq and this morning at Whole Foods in Mandarin. Organized groups (some with megaphones) going out of their way to try and intimidate mask wearing people, Shouting "You look stupid" and "I cant breath" at her and those other folks who happen to be wearing one.  Trump's true base is literally rabid, they have lost their rational selves as he has melted down before our very eyes. And its probably true he refuses to wear a mask because it will disturb his spray on tan.  What in the world has happened to this Nation?

marcuscnelson

« Reply #467 on: July 03, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
And if nothing else, there are plenty of people all over North Florida who would be excited to attend.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #468 on: July 03, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
Jax is now Number 1 in the nation for infection rate. Maybe we should change the name from COVID to football.
Lenny Smash

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #469 on: July 03, 2020, 02:09:33 PM »

I think in Jax it would be well attended.  In the past 24 hours my wife, who has worn a mask in public since March, has been scolded by non mask wearing (I assume Trump supporters) at both the Starbucks in San Marco Sq and this morning at Whole Foods in Mandarin. Organized groups (some with megaphones) going out of their way to try and intimidate mask wearing people, Shouting "You look stupid" and "I cant breath" at her and those other folks who happen to be wearing one.  Trump's true base is literally rabid, they have lost their rational selves as he has melted down before our very eyes. And its probably true he refuses to wear a mask because it will disturb his spray on tan.  What in the world has happened to this Nation?

What kind of person takes time out of their day to yell at people wearing masks during a pandemic?
Those people will be in the hospital or someone close to them will get seriously sick and they'll change their tune by the end of August.

MusicMan

« Reply #470 on: July 03, 2020, 05:16:10 PM »
My wife said the ones at Starbucks were younger people, older folks at Whole Foods. And I agree, what type of person does this?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: July 03, 2020, 06:51:24 PM »

What kind of person takes time out of their day to yell at people wearing masks during a pandemic?
Those people will be in the hospital or someone close to them will get seriously sick and they'll change their tune by the end of August.

I saw them yesterday in San Marco Square. 6 people, mostly younger, with a megaphone and a sign that said “I can’t breathe” with a mask on it. Real classy.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #472 on: July 04, 2020, 07:23:50 AM »
My quick summary of the pandemic.

4. The media is so partisan that the quality of reporting we get is worse than third world countries

I can't comment on how partisan the US media is, but my wife and I finally got sick of watching BBC every morning as it was nothing more than fluff pieces about old guys walking around to raise money for the NHS and stuff like that.

Anyway, we have been watching Al Jazeera and France 24 for a over a month now and actually know more about what is going on around the world (including back home - Florida features regularly). And they don't talk to you like you're an idiot. So win-win.

I don't know about France 24 but I visit Al Jazeera just to see their "slant " or version of current events. Their articles go through the same type of editing or bias as the other "mainstream " sources...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #473 on: July 04, 2020, 08:20:05 AM »
What is Al Jazeera saying about Florida's Covid-19 spike and the decision to bring the RNC to town?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #474 on: July 04, 2020, 08:46:24 AM »
My quick summary of the pandemic.

4. The media is so partisan that the quality of reporting we get is worse than third world countries

I can't comment on how partisan the US media is, but my wife and I finally got sick of watching BBC every morning as it was nothing more than fluff pieces about old guys walking around to raise money for the NHS and stuff like that.

Anyway, we have been watching Al Jazeera and France 24 for a over a month now and actually know more about what is going on around the world (including back home - Florida features regularly). And they don't talk to you like you're an idiot. So win-win.

I don't know about France 24 but I visit Al Jazeera just to see their "slant " or version of current events. Their articles go through the same type of editing or bias as the other "mainstream " sources...

I think as long as people are involved, there will always be some level of 'bias' (for lack of a better word). And as long as people are watching or reading the news, they will find 'bias' where they want to. I wouldn't argue that Al-Jazeera is any more or less biased than BBC Breakfast - but they do offer better news coverage.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #475 on: July 04, 2020, 08:49:04 AM »
What is Al Jazeera saying about Florida's Covid-19 spike and the decision to bring the RNC to town?

I've not seen anything about the RNC yet. FL has featured prominently in coverage of the coronavirus spike - probably as much because of the spike in the State as it is because they have a reporter there. CA also has featured. I've seen a number of reports where they spoke to local businesses who were struggling and trying to figure out a way to stay open while still trying to reduce transmission.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

vicupstate

« Reply #476 on: July 04, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #477 on: July 04, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
I guess it's just me, but I'm feeling a certain way reading these threads as well as other social medias.

I haven't worn a mask this entire time until recently when the mandate was thrown down.  I still honestly don't believe they help - it may reduce airborne transmission, but everyone is still touching things and pulling their masks down and taking their masks off in and out of the car... IMO it's a complete false sense of security.

But even though I chose not to wear a mask, I also limited exposure to people in general.  Limited Starbucks trips.  Limited Publix runs and our 'restaurant' adventures have been limited to off-hours or takeout.  Going to any 'event' is a bad idea.  The fact that it's an 'event' pretty much means that SD isn't a real option.

I guess my long-winded point is that I'm getting the feeling from the mask crowd that 'everything is normal because I have a mask on' is just as boneheaded as the non-mask crowd that feel their liberties are being trampled.   

Wear a mask or don't wear a mask, I don't really care.  Just limit exposure, observe a larger radius of personal space and remember that the virus transmits in more ways than through the air.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #478 on: July 04, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
Over 11,00 cases reported today for Florida.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #479 on: July 04, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »
I guess my long-winded point is that I'm getting the feeling from the mask crowd that 'everything is normal because I have a mask on' is just as boneheaded as the non-mask crowd that feel their liberties are being trampled.   

Wear a mask or don't wear a mask, I don't really care.  Just limit exposure, observe a larger radius of personal space and remember that the virus transmits in more ways than through the air.

I don't know who is endorsing simply wearing a mask and going about your day like nothing's happening. The idea is supposed to be that we do everything we can to prevent the spread of the virus, including wearing masks, limiting gatherings, implementing social distancing, and additionally protecting more vulnerable populations.

It's like asking if airbags work, why do we need seatbelts? Our failure to take more than one preventative measure at a time is why we've been banned from Europe, our neighbors have closed their borders to us, and our state alone has as many new cases today as all of Australia had total.