Author Topic: Jax and Coronavirus  (Read 31924 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Jax and Coronavirus
« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2020, 07:22:08 PM »

Of course I also think people in this country should give a damn about financial education and maybe missing/reducing paychecks wouldn’t be Armageddon. But based upon the pictures, at least the people waiting in food bank lines drive a better car than me...so they have that going for them.

It's a problem that goes all the way up to the top of the chain - look at all the businesses looking for bailouts and help from the government. If they had been saving their money, they'd be able to rely on that. At least that's what we tell the working poor.

And it's also worth noting that the government doesn't want people to save - they want people to spend. I recall that during the last recession that  was a concern that was actually voiced - that the gov't was concerned because people were saving money instead of spending it (due to the uncertainty). 

I agree about the top but my comment was geared to concentrating on what people can control.

Government and Wall Street is a nice marriage. One wants em dumb and dependent while the other wants to dumb em down and profit.  I don’t care if people stick to their little Partisan fantasies of what little Letter is going to be their hero, But they need to take some action on improving their own situation too.

And you are correct on Government not wanting people to save. Too much of our economy depends on spending. Keep em spending. Take on more debt so they can spend more. Let’s make America even greater.

I get what you mean.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

I-10east

« Reply #361 on: May 23, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »
As of April 2020 Jax metropolitan area's unemployment rate is at 11.2 percent amid the covid 19; it is the 3rd lowest metro unemployment rate in the states 26 metros, only behind the metros of Gainesville and Tallahassee. Jax's unemployment rate is ahead of the average state rate (12.9)

Notable Florida metro areas unemployment rates

Tallahassee 8.1
Gainesville 8.9
Jacksonville 11.2
Miami 11.9
Pensacola 12.0
Tampa 13.1
West Palm Beach 13.9
Fort Lauderdale 14.5
Daytona Beach 14.7
Orlando 16.2

http://lmsresources.labormarketinfo.com/library/press/release.pdf

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:24:15 PM by I-10east »

I-10east

« Reply #362 on: May 23, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
It's good to see that Miami did so well (with all things considered) with South Florida being the hardest covid hit in the state. It's no surprise that Orlando is the most hardest hit (unemployment rate) in FL, being mainly tourist centric and all; ORL have to diversify that economy some more in the future (I'm not saying that it's anything wrong with tourist attractions).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:24:40 PM by I-10east »

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #363 on: May 25, 2020, 08:20:57 AM »
UF Health Jacksonville Covid-19 hospitalizations:

May 18:  9
May 22: 22
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:20:19 AM by Lunican »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #364 on: May 25, 2020, 09:38:02 AM »
Yeah... I  have a sinking feeling that two weeks after this weekend we will have a large spike...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #365 on: May 25, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »
But the Mayor will keep touting "Number of Tests" as his metric, and won't reinstate any of the restrictions.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2020, 10:56:46 AM »
Looking at the crowds in Daytona and Clearwater Beach this weekend, and knowing people not taking this serious, there's no doubt in my mind that the numbers will be going back up.

https://www.theledger.com/news/20200524/fired-scientist-defends-covid-19-data-role
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »

Covid19 isn't viable outdoors outside of the human body.  Unless those folks are doing some mouth to mouth breathing, it's unlikely much of anyone will catch it at the beach.

Note that despite all the hoopla, it wasn't the problem for spring breakers.  Now maybe they were lucky and early.   After all, drunk college kids are known for doing some mouth to mouth breathing.

And Florida's beaches have been open since Mid-April.  With a 5 day median incubation, if this was an issue we would've already had a break out.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
I'm not so sure about believing that you can't catch COVID at the beach in crowded conditions. That certainly was not the case in South Florida:

The Costly Toll of Not Shutting Down Spring Break Earlier

People got sick - and some died - after attending crowded parties and theme parks in Florida as the coronavirus spread.

Full article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/florida-spring-break-coronavirus.html

While police officers are on their bikes patrolling along the roads in Fort Lauderdale and the city’s beach, no one can get out in the sand thanks to closures in place. 

However, it wasn’t that way several weeks ago when thousands of college students were in South Florida for spring break. The “fun in the sun parties” are now being used as an example as to why shelter in place and social distancing are so important.

Full article: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/spring-breakers-may-have-taken-coronavirus-from-south-florida-across-u-s-data-firm/2213356/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »

Covid19 isn't viable outdoors outside of the human body.  Unless those folks are doing some mouth to mouth breathing, it's unlikely much of anyone will catch it at the beach.

Note that despite all the hoopla, it wasn't the problem for spring breakers.  Now maybe they were lucky and early.   After all, drunk college kids are known for doing some mouth to mouth breathing.

And Florida's beaches have been open since Mid-April.  With a 5 day median incubation, if this was an issue we would've already had a break out.

This is bad information
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #370 on: May 27, 2020, 09:07:27 PM »
Regarding those photos of people packed into a pool in Missouri or wherever it was... That's pretty disgusting even without a virus. Covid-19 can definitely spread outdoors, just not as readily as indoors. But if you are close to people all bets are off whether indoors or out. It's been proven to spread just from being near someone speaking.

This is going to be a balancing act. It's not going to be possible to stay locked down for the duration but being cautious would be helpful. This could go on for years without a miracle vaccine.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:09:52 PM by Lunican »

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2020, 08:18:59 AM »
Wow...first June post in the thread!
Contrary to what it seemed, wokeness did not kill the virus as shockingly it appears to still be with us. The Lynch’s pub story is a bit concerning ( one group of 15 saying 12 tested positive) as is the case spikes but if we don’t see much in the way of hospitalizations( relative to # of case numbers)my level of concern drops. Of course, I am assuming people actually try to help the most vulnerable like Nursing homes instead of Cuomoing them.

For personal observations, my last trip to the store pleasantly  surprised me with the high level of mask usage. We have been cautiously eating out by  taking advantage of the decent weather days and dined outside or eaten inside at off times when it has been quiet. I have “safe distance witnessed“ some bars that were pretty full/closely seated which I found.....interesting.
I would love to see some data on what percent of workers are back at the office. Seems pretty low if I had to guess. And, around me the incredible spike of lock down biking/walking has plummeted but not sure if that is more a return to semi normal or just the heat/rain.

Next few weeks should be even more interesting as more rally/increased openings results start to be seen.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:30:41 AM by sanmarcomatt »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2020, 09:43:18 AM »
Spent last weekend in Savannah... I would say roughly 2/3 of shops, restaurants and bars were open. I would estimate roughly half of the open shops required face masks. My Jax experience is few wearing masks and fewer distancing...

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2020, 11:47:27 AM »
Spent last weekend in Savannah... I would say roughly 2/3 of shops, restaurants and bars were open. I would estimate roughly half of the open shops required face masks. My Jax experience is few wearing masks and fewer distancing...

Savannah? Not Chaz?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2020, 01:35:29 PM »

Savannah? Not Chaz?

Lol... not my kind of scene...