Author Topic: Jax and Coronavirus  (Read 23637 times)

JaxAvondale

Re: Jax and Coronavirus
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »
Essential! How else are you suppose to make your own hand sanitizer with 60 proof alcohol or higher?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2020, 05:42:16 PM »
Yes... but I stocked up a week ago  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2020, 05:47:07 PM »
Essential! How else are you suppose to make your own hand sanitizer with 60 proof alcohol or higher?

Nerd Alert - needs to be at least 120 proof, to get 60% alcohol  :D

MusicMan

« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2020, 07:52:20 PM »
Thank goodness, golf courses deemed essential.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2020, 04:50:10 AM »
I've not seen the list, but I have a friend who works at a car dealership (selling cars) and he said they are on the list of 'essential' businesses. In what world is buying a car 'essential' right now? I can see repairs, sure. But new cars don't need to be sold.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »
Do they have fleet accounts?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2020, 08:06:13 AM »
I've not seen the list, but I have a friend who works at a car dealership (selling cars) and he said they are on the list of 'essential' businesses. In what world is buying a car 'essential' right now? I can see repairs, sure. But new cars don't need to be sold.

Here’s the thing: I don’t think you can get into the argument of telling a business what it can and can’t sell. If part of the business is reasonable essential, then its essential.

Publix sells candy. Candy is not essential. But, many other items Publix sells ARE undisputedly essential. Who is going to look at the entire SKU a list of every store and say whether or not that item
is essential.

That aside, no one is buying cars right now. CNN had an article yesterday that car sales fell off a cliff around the 9th of March. So regardless of designation, it seems like people are social distancing themselves away from cars right now.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »

Here’s the thing: I don’t think you can get into the argument of telling a business what it can and can’t sell. If part of the business is reasonable essential, then its essential.

Publix sells candy. Candy is not essential. But, many other items Publix sells ARE undisputedly essential. Who is going to look at the entire SKU a list of every store and say whether or not that item
is essential.

That aside, no one is buying cars right now. CNN had an article yesterday that car sales fell off a cliff around the 9th of March. So regardless of designation, it seems like people are social distancing themselves away from cars right now.

And as well all know, at dealerships, they keep the service department on same aisle as car sales and cereal.

I think you'll see more restrictive measures as the body count increases. The gov't is being naive at this point and not shutting down most businesses. It's not about whether candy is essential - it's whether the business is essential. Supermarkets are essential. Car dealerships are not. And it is possible to restrict services without closing some businesses completely - like requiring restaurants to only do takeaway food.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:46:33 AM by Adam White »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »

is essential.

And as well all know, at dealerships, they keep the service department on same aisle as car sales and cereal.

I think you'll see more restrictive measures as the body count increases. The gov't is being naive at this point and not shutting down most businesses. It's not about whether candy is essential - it's whether the business is essential. Supermarkets are essential. Car dealerships are not. And it is possible to restrict services without closing some businesses completely - like requiring restaurants to only do takeaway food.

I think it will depend on the region. New York may do this. I don't see Florida doing this, especially given it took this long for DeSantis to act.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »

is essential.

I think it will depend on the region. New York may do this. I don't see Florida doing this, especially given it took this long for DeSantis to act.

Very possible. But they'll end up with blood on their hands if they don't do something. Or maybe it will all go away by Easter.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »
Additionally, there are oddball scenarios where someone may NEED to buy a car. Let's say they run a warehouse (or work at some other essential business) and their car breaks down/gets totaled and they need to buy a car. With some exceptions, JTA transit doesn't run to many warehouses. How is this person supposed to get to work?

I realize this isn't a common scenario, but it could happen.

Regardless, dealerships are empty so I'd chalk this up to the tree falling in the forest with nobody around. If there's nobody around who can catch COVID-19?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2020, 09:45:17 AM »
Additionally, there are oddball scenarios where someone may NEED to buy a car. Let's say they run a warehouse (or work at some other essential business) and their car breaks down/gets totaled and they need to buy a car. With some exceptions, JTA transit doesn't run to many warehouses. How is this person supposed to get to work?

I realize this isn't a common scenario, but it could happen.

Regardless, dealerships are empty so I'd chalk this up to the tree falling in the forest with nobody around. If there's nobody around who can catch COVID-19?

If you try hard enough, you can create any sort of similar scenario with any sort of business. But the extreme outlier cases are not the criteria used to determine whether a business is essential or not. Or at least they shouldn't be.

The US gov't and the state gov'ts are going to need to start taking this seriously or it's going to get really bad, really quickly.

Edit: it sucks and it's hard. I've not left my house in about two weeks (I was self-isolating for some of that due to symptoms) - but it's what we have to do. Very few businesses near me are open and people have to get in line to enter supermarkets (they stand 6 metres apart in line and are let in on a 'one out, one in' basis).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:47:39 AM by Adam White »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »
Don't know if this belongs here, or in a U2C thread ...
JTA has issued a media release about the use of autonomous vehicles at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville to transport Coronovirus test samples.
On Monday, March 30, 2020, up to four autonomous vehicles began operating along an initial route, in full autonomous mode without attendants or other people onboard, to transport COVID-19 tests from a drive-thru testing site to a processing laboratory on Mayo Clinic’s campus.  The COVID-19 test samples are placed in secure containers prior to Mayo Clinic healthcare professionals loading the samples onto the shuttle.
https://www.jtafla.com/media-center/press-releases/jta-beep-navya-autonomous-shuttles-help-mayo-clinic-transport-covid-19-tests/

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2020, 10:51:38 AM »
Don't know if this belongs here, or in a U2C thread ...
JTA has issued a media release about the use of autonomous vehicles at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville to transport Coronovirus test samples.
On Monday, March 30, 2020, up to four autonomous vehicles began operating along an initial route, in full autonomous mode without attendants or other people onboard, to transport COVID-19 tests from a drive-thru testing site to a processing laboratory on Mayo Clinic’s campus.  The COVID-19 test samples are placed in secure containers prior to Mayo Clinic healthcare professionals loading the samples onto the shuttle.
https://www.jtafla.com/media-center/press-releases/jta-beep-navya-autonomous-shuttles-help-mayo-clinic-transport-covid-19-tests/

That's wild.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »
I received the press release via email. I just didn't consider using an AV to run medical supplies across a parking lot within a controlled environment to be news.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:56:50 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali