Author Topic: Jax and Coronavirus  (Read 23788 times)

Snaketoz

Re: Jax and Coronavirus
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2020, 08:18:57 PM »
Have a wonderful weekend.  I was just thinking how ungrateful I am most of the time to live in such a great area.  I'll be so happy to see this virus disappear and things getting back to normal. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2020, 07:23:56 AM »
I-10, please stop commenting like this.
Agree. Seems like this "voluntary isolation time" has moved up the anger scale on many comments on all the feeds. Oh well, it should pass in time.

Because I don't trust the New York Times??? I apologize thought police... This is just "attack the guy with a conservative opinion". If I was an opinionated leftist, there would be no issues....
Just a suggestion I-10... severely curtail your exposure to the news... especially national news. I get a small bit every day... mostly local... and it sure is beneficial. I really don't miss it at all.  This is the best way to tell the "talking heads" to go to hell... 8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2020, 07:44:43 AM »
Agree. Seems like this "voluntary isolation time" has moved up the anger scale on many comments on all the feeds. Oh well, it should pass in time.

Because I don't trust the New York Times??? I apologize thought police... This is just "attack the guy with a conservative opinion". If I was an opinionated leftist, there would be no issues....

Yeah, I thought a couple of other names should have been added to yours in the “please stop commenting post”. Interesting.

But please do us all a favor and if you want to try to have a productive partisan ( yeah, I am here all week)debate, please start some threads in the National Politics forum.  In the non politics threads, please refrain from injecting political views  and do your best to ignore the Mensa members that just have to inject Trump comments or rant about all Republicans, etc.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2020, 08:01:02 AM »
I hope all are well.

We have zero concerns personally, And so far so good with older family members. We have been pretty strict with the social distancing. My last  store trip was more encouraging with the food stocking but still no paper products. Fairly early I did an online order for TP with Walmart or my shortage jokes about it suddenly wouldn’t have been funny anymore.

We have been focused on supporting local small business.

Sigh. This sucks.

MusicMan

« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2020, 10:04:52 AM »
At least you can get take out from Taverna! Plus I got some good deals on wine there yesterday. Cline's Butcher Shoppe was a freakin' mob scene yesterday too.

You're probably just figuring out how your stove works 8)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »
At least you can get take out from Taverna! Plus I got some good deals on wine there yesterday. Cline's Butcher Shoppe was a freakin' mob scene yesterday too.

You're probably just figuring out how your stove works 8)

Yeah, we hit Taverna as soon as they announced. Bbs is half priced wine bottles and their wine list is excellent and not crazy priced anyway.

For the record, we are pretty good around the kitchen. The takeout thing is a bit odd for us as the experience is just as important as the food for us when dining out. I am guessing we have spent more on takeout the last two weeks then all of 2019. But gotta support our favorites.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2020, 07:16:34 PM »

Just a suggestion I-10... severely curtail your exposure to the news... especially national news. I get a small bit every day... mostly local... and it sure is beneficial. I really don't miss it at all.  This is the best way to tell the "talking heads" to go to hell... 8)

Fantastic advice.

The first week of this lockdown, I refreshed the news - national and local - every five minutes. I'm not normally one for anxiety, but it felt just as bad as 9/11 and the days after just in terms of pure dread and uncertainty. The national coverage is just so toxic too. Trump clearly dropped the ball on getting ahead of this thing, and a lot of people will die needlessly as a result of that arrogance, but a worldwide pandemic ain't the time or place for 75% of coverage to be dominated by partisan screaming on either side. We can sort out the blame once we get the problem under control.

CNN in particular has become just as embarrassing as Fox News, burying important news beneath all the gotcha articles and opinion. Such a far cry from the CNN of the 1990s.

Still think the New York Times is the best pure news source in the country, though the editorial page admittedly leans left.

Anyway, this week, I resolved to just check the news three times a day - morning, lunch-time, and after work. Get the facts, then get out. Threw myself into work, my family, and a few house projects instead. Made such a big difference. Felt so much calmer and less anxious. Still felt informed, just without all the alarmism and noise.

Still impressed by Curry, his Twitter feed has been one of the best places to keep up with local news, and he's doing a really good job balancing caution with reassurance.

Coming around on DeSantis in these last few days as well.

Florida's doing a pretty solid job reacting to a situation that would have been unthinkable to most of us back in Q4.

acme54321

« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2020, 07:51:27 PM »
Looks at these jackasses.  SJC beached closed now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/travisakers/status/1243990179557359616

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
Tony Boselli reportedly was in ICU with coronavirus and is recovering but still being treated.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »

Ridiculous. This is one area DeSantis really needs to step it up and quit leaving decisions to local governments.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2020, 06:34:29 PM »
We have a variation of the social distancing that we are now very familiar with... Family distancing... right now everyone has retreated to their respective rooms or areas... Seems minor irritations are now being magnified by our forced close proximity... anyone else?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2020, 08:05:50 PM »

Ridiculous. This is one area DeSantis really needs to step it up and quit leaving decisions to local governments.

I'm on the fence with this one.

On one hand, it's not really difficult to just go out with your family/roommates/daily personal people and keep your distance from others.

He tried using common sense governing and there's just too many YOLOs out there to allow it to continue.  IMO - not enough 'warning' patrols out there making sure people were doing what's in the best interest of all.

DeSantis is too much of an easy-going jackass and should have closed them immediately.

On the other hand, if he had come out and immediately shut down all the beaches/parks/recreational area, then he's going to HAVE to enforce it with more than a warning.  Then we're immediately thrust in to a quasi-police state.

DeSantis is a heavy-handed jackass and should have found a better way to work with the public.

Either way, it's a lose-lose because too many aren't even taking the slightest of cautions.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2020, 08:34:24 PM »

anyone else notice the guy in the picture  in an Oklahoma City cap sitting under a New Urbanist umbrella?

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2020, 08:59:01 PM »
My favorite Avondale restaurant is offering take out.
I am not interested in take out but am thinking to go there and just pay the $120 typically spent on dinner for two as a tip for staff.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »
My favorite Avondale restaurant is offering take out.
I am not interested in take out but am thinking to go there and just pay the $120 typically spent on dinner for two as a tip for staff.

I guess since we're humble bragging....  I just paid $50 for 2 pieces of cake.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams